FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Best eating fish???  (Read 6333 times)

gillmaniac

• I Don't Go Fishing, I Go Catching!!!
Re: Best eating fish???
« Reply #30 on: Jul 11, 2005, 08:28 PM »
I didnt think you guys ate a lot of salt water fish so mine is a flounder.

gill
I am a maniac for gills!!!!

Chucker

« Reply #31 on: Jul 11, 2005, 08:48 PM »
The best eaters are those you've caught with good friends and family, and bring home to share.

Oh, and bluegills done white clam sauce style kick serious ass.

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #32 on: Jul 11, 2005, 09:48 PM »
For freshwater fish my favorites are red orange meated trout, pike, perch, and walleye.
For saltwater I like halibut, fresh pacific cod, fresh tuna steak, and fresh salmon.

deerhunter

« Reply #33 on: Jul 13, 2005, 06:49 AM »
brookies and white perch for fresh.    cod and haddock for salt.

grumpymoe

« Reply #34 on: Jul 13, 2005, 09:03 PM »
no flat fish from saltwater for me......one exception....and I have already posted that Halibut is top-notch.....Barleydog......we just might have to make an exchange.....for walleye...perch.....or whatever is not readily available your way.....let me know....Grump ;D

Kodiak Commando

• Check your fly
« Reply #35 on: Jul 13, 2005, 10:16 PM »
I love halibut but i have tons of it and would gladly trade some halibut for 10 to 20 slab crappie!!!
I've never been to heaven, but i have fished  in  Alaska.

synergyboy10

• summer time flag
« Reply #36 on: Jul 18, 2005, 08:11 PM »
smaller trout near the 14" inch range and calico.
hurry grab that rod.

www.teamthrillseeker.com

Barleydog

• Wishin' I was a fishin'
« Reply #37 on: Jul 18, 2005, 11:28 PM »
Ooooowww Grump! 8)  Ya know that may just work!  Been married 10 years and she's never tasted walleye.  I keep bragging about the taste of walleye, but havent fished them in 10 years, (no walleye in AK.)  You'd think having all those cheesehead relatives back in Wis., I'd have a couple fillets shipped up, but NOOOOOooo.  August is my trip for butts, and if all goes well :-\, a trade will be in the making eh? ;D -Jim

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #38 on: Jul 19, 2005, 11:17 AM »
I like some of the stuff that I've purchased in restaurants and such, but of the ones that I've brought home to the table:

Freshwater - my favorite is a tie between crappie and walleye.  After that, perch, bluegills and trout.  Saltwater - croaker (aka hardhead), flounder, stripers, and sea trout.

Yum.

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #39 on: Jul 19, 2005, 11:41 AM »
Walleye,crappie, saltwater talapia,haddock,cod

Hey TH, don't go looking in saltwater to fish for Tilapia, they're native freshwater fish in Africa.  That said, they do thrive in Brackish water and are the most tolerant Cichlid in those conditions next to the Orange Chromide from India.  So, I guess it depends on how you define saltwater, right?  Before they became popular in the US as a food source they were common in the aquarium trade.  Anyway, I'm not trying to be picky and the real reason that I had to respond was that I have a funny story about this fish.  Being an avid aquarist, one day many years ago I went to a local Chinese food restaurant and they had a huge tank full of them.  The tank was decorated, so I thought it was just a display tank.  Then, I saw them on the menu :o and later saw an employee dip a net in there and yank one out, right to the kitchen I guess!  Holy Toledo was I surprised.

They're in the Cichlid family (same family as the oscar and freshwater angelfish):

More info on them:
(telä´pee) , any member of the genus Tilapia, spiny-finned freshwater fishes of the family Cichlidae, native chiefly to Africa and the Middle East. Tilapias incubate their eggs orally; one or both parents carry them in their mouths until (and for a short period after) the young hatch. A species of E and S Africa, Tilapia mossambica, has been successfully transplanted to parts of East Asia and South America, providing a cheap and rapidly breeding source of protein. Tilapia is classified in the phylum Chordata, subphylum Vertebrata, class Osteichthyes, order Perciformes, family Cichlidae.

Oh, and they are tasty.  Every time I order them in restaurants I'm wondering who's pet I'm eating! 

OTIS

« Reply #40 on: Jul 19, 2005, 11:47 AM »
Fresh water - Walleye or Yellow Perch
Salt water - Ono (Wahoo)
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

1brookie

« Reply #41 on: Jul 20, 2005, 07:23 PM »
For fresh water it's the Walleye.  Salt water  The Snook is by far the best.

grumpymoe

« Reply #42 on: Jul 20, 2005, 07:56 PM »
Ooooowww Grump! 8)  Ya know that may just work!  Been married 10 years and she's never tasted walleye.  I keep bragging about the taste of walleye, but havent fished them in 10 years, (no walleye in AK.)  You'd think having all those cheesehead relatives back in Wis., I'd have a couple fillets shipped up, but NOOOOOooo.  August is my trip for butts, and if all goes well :-\, a trade will be in the making eh? ;D -Jim
.........Jim....let me know a little ahead of time....will have to check out shipping options...dry ice is the best way, and I will need to stock up as well....Grump

AD

• Born to fish
« Reply #43 on: Jul 20, 2005, 10:59 PM »
Walleye,crappie, saltwater talapia,haddock,cod

Hey TH, don't go looking in saltwater to fish for Tilapia, they're native freshwater fish in Africa.  That said, they do thrive in Brackish water and are the most tolerant Cichlid in those conditions next to the Orange Chromide from India.  So, I guess it depends on how you define saltwater, right?  Before they became popular in the US as a food source they were common in the aquarium trade.  Anyway, I'm not trying to be picky and the real reason that I had to respond was that I have a funny story about this fish.  Being an avid aquarist, one day many years ago I went to a local Chinese food restaurant and they had a huge tank full of them.  The tank was decorated, so I thought it was just a display tank.  Then, I saw them on the menu :o and later saw an employee dip a net in there and yank one out, right to the kitchen I guess!  Holy Toledo was I surprised.

They're in the Cichlid family (same family as the oscar and freshwater angelfish):

More info on them:
(telä´pee) , any member of the genus Tilapia, spiny-finned freshwater fishes of the family Cichlidae, native chiefly to Africa and the Middle East. Tilapias incubate their eggs orally; one or both parents carry them in their mouths until (and for a short period after) the young hatch. A species of E and S Africa, Tilapia mossambica, has been successfully transplanted to parts of East Asia and South America, providing a cheap and rapidly breeding source of protein. Tilapia is classified in the phylum Chordata, subphylum Vertebrata, class Osteichthyes, order Perciformes, family Cichlidae.

Oh, and they are tasty.  Every time I order them in restaurants I'm wondering who's pet I'm eating! 

Tilapia are also in Florida I think, or bits of south America, or I could be way off too.    They are extremely easy to grow out and eat in the end too, taste good too.     They have some species of tilapia maxed out at 4 months to reach edible size  :o     Talk about some fast growing fish, 10-12 inches in 4 months which is pretty crazy if you think about it.     Although the dorsal fin on a live Tilapia is about 10 times worse than one on a sunfish.   
    But yea I had forgotten about these little buggers and I love to eatem so they are added onto my earlier list.   
A bad day of fishing still beats a good day of working
If a man fishes hard, what is he going to do easy?
You can't catch a fish on a dry line
the greatest fishing secret ever? patience.

driftfisher

• Just what the Doctor order !!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #44 on: Jul 21, 2005, 08:49 AM »
I want some of this action ;D For freshwater I would go with Northern Pike, Perch, Walleye. Those are my favorites Oh yeah and I don't want to forget Silver Salmon yummy. For Saltwater I would Mutton Snapper and Grouper those are yummy also. There is my two cents worth.
DF

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.