FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lockport  (Read 11067 times)

wanna30

Lockport
« on: Jul 07, 2011, 09:35 AM »
What is the status of Lockport. Has anyone had or even seen a boat in the area? Has anyone had any luck with cats anywhere else where you might be able to fish?

SISIF

Re: Lockport
« Reply #1 on: Jul 09, 2011, 09:44 AM »
I saw one boat, far from locks though. Some people fishing the floodway there don't knows if there's any being caught there.

Just spent a whole night there to be skunked. That's not normal for me... however some guys came and right away one caught a 21lb cat, 35". Nothing else. Current sucks as always. That dang line of barrel floats they put in sure sucks, it bows in or out according to the current/ wind, and eliminates some of the spots you can fish. Why didn't they just put a sign in the water with lights and reflectors showing that there's rocks there and it's shallow? Anyways, hope we get some good cat action this year.

buzzbomb

« Reply #2 on: Jul 09, 2011, 07:01 PM »
Hopefully is right!  After struggling and me blanking a month ago I hope they turn on by mid August when we come again.  In June the boaters I talked to were averaging 1 per hour each and that didn't seem as fast as I remembered from last year.  The shore fishing was definately slower.
If you say the word "gullible" really slow, it sounds like "oranges".

hoghammer

« Reply #3 on: Jul 11, 2011, 09:21 AM »
Saw a few boats fishing right up at the locks yesterday

tailhunter

« Reply #4 on: Jul 13, 2011, 12:14 AM »
Sorry, can't seem to delete this, it put my message in the wrong thread!!??!
Is it Winter yet????

Mr Spoon

« Reply #5 on: Jul 19, 2011, 12:49 AM »
just wondering if the boat traffic by the locks has picked up yet? Im coming to fish next tuesday - saturday  just wondering if theres a chance of me getting on there?

hoghammer

« Reply #6 on: Jul 19, 2011, 01:05 PM »
there are a few boats out there daily. Still lots of current but with a little commom sense you will be okay

buzzbomb

« Reply #7 on: Aug 12, 2011, 12:45 AM »
It's fishing ok, we got on the river at 6 or so and fished till 11:30 and 4 of us caught over 20.  A few babies in there and some real fatties but I don't know if many or any made 34".  Some were real close and everyone's loving it anyway.  I only landed 3 but they were all among the largest ones.  The guys I'm with are all seasoned walleye fishermen with tournament experience but they're impressed with how hard it is to get these cats up.  2 of them are a bit undergunned but that could change tomorrow I think.

fly-in

« Reply #8 on: Aug 12, 2011, 10:22 AM »
The guys I'm with are all seasoned walleye fishermen with tournament experience but they're impressed with how hard it is to get these cats up.  2 of them are a bit undergunned but that could change tomorrow I think.

Last year one of my buddies came cat fishing for the first time, he didn't think we had anything in Manitoba that required more then a medium action rod, he landed a small one and thought he was doing good..........then he got a good one ;) I had my second rod along 'Just in case' so he used that one after his second cat.

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #9 on: Aug 12, 2011, 04:19 PM »
What type of rod, line and reel do you guys recommend for big cats? ???

I have to give cat fishing a try sometime.

Hope they keep biting for you and your group buzzbomb. :)

WW
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

Big Brother

« Reply #10 on: Aug 12, 2011, 05:40 PM »
My go to set up is the 7' MH rod with my old reliable Abu 6500C spooled up with 50# Powerpro.Use this setup both shorefishing and from the boat.Nothing like the sound of a big Kittie hitting and then the clicker goes off.What a rush!!!!

SISIF

« Reply #11 on: Aug 12, 2011, 05:53 PM »
There is one med action rod that's great for cats IMO. The Ugly Stik. I used my 7' med ugly for many cats including a 21lber and one probably over 26lbs. Hauled em right in too with hardly any drag and 80lb braid. But now I have an 8' mediumheavy catfish uglystik that I've yet to break in.

buzzbomb

« Reply #12 on: Aug 12, 2011, 06:51 PM »
My fave right now is the antique 10' Shakespeare Wonderod.  It's got backbone to spare and it shows, especially teamed up with #50 pp and #25 fireline hooklink.  Don't judge me, I've shot fish in a barrel and it's damned fine sport! :-)  The old geezer of the gang had one 38 1/2" and #26-11 this morning on his 7' ugkystik and went to walmart and bought a bigger outfit right after.  You don't go shark fishing with a Scooby-Doo rod.  We had 3 I think over 34" but not me, but I was hot for awhile in the morning. 
Update: Fishing slowed on Saturday for our crew though a few were still caught, and when I got back in the boat Saturday night we managed a few more, (and another of our 4 or so double headers) but they were mostly wee ones of 8 or 10 lbs.  Sat. afternoon we watched the fire dept. water rescue squad pull a body out but they were done with that pretty fast.  Sunday was all packing and driving but 1 of our guys managed another cat from shore before we left.

hoghammer

« Reply #13 on: Aug 15, 2011, 02:06 PM »
sounds like you guys had a blast. Yall come back for some more of thoose cats

SISIF

« Reply #14 on: Aug 22, 2011, 07:14 PM »
Gonna be there tonight o/n I'll report how it goes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.