FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Large river 'eyes  (Read 4727 times)

Ashnohgrimbatul

Large river 'eyes
« on: Apr 05, 2004, 11:09 PM »
What sort of tactics do people use for walleye on big rivers?  I mostly use jigs and bottom-bouncers depending on the situation.  Never had much luck with crankbaits, would love some advice on how to use them properly.

Jigwiggler

Re: Large river 'eyes
« Reply #1 on: Apr 10, 2004, 05:03 PM »
During coldwater months I like a jig and plastic.  During warm water I prefer crankbaits.  Troll them in the deeps and cast stickbaits in the shallows at dusk.
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

big walleye

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #2 on: Apr 10, 2004, 09:26 PM »
Pickerel Rigs with salted minnows as bait have always produced my nicest walleye's in the river systems.
Fishing,Hockey,Beer  is all man needs to survive!!!<br />

Otter

• Retired MFF Mod
  • The river is mine
« Reply #3 on: Apr 13, 2004, 12:51 PM »
We had success using 3" or 4" grubs with a slow retrieve or slow jigging.  Also, we had success with 4" and 6" husky jerks slow retrieved against the current or stop and jerk after dark.  Large taildancers were also effective.  The fish were stacked in deep eddies, creek mouths, and dams. 

Polar

« Reply #4 on: Apr 13, 2004, 01:20 PM »
I like a jig and a tail. We have a special run made for the color we have.

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
« Reply #5 on: Apr 23, 2004, 04:11 PM »
I always throw big husky jerks, bucktails, jigheads with twisters/sassy shads or minnows.
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #6 on: Apr 29, 2004, 05:23 PM »
Walleyes don't live in our large rivers around here, but I know some about fishing for them from what I have read and researched.
Walleyes will be found mostly in areas with reduced current. Eddies near creek mouths and below wing dams are prime for peppering casts with jigs and livebait.
In fall, winter, and spring, walleyes will stack below large dams in the 30 - 40 feet scour holes beneath the gates. It's in these conditions that numbers of walleyes are easiest to come by. Heavier jigs and jigging spoons are great presentations. Drifting slip bobber rigs with the current can be good too, although I would say jigging spoons and plastics would be best.

Tyler

Esox

« Reply #7 on: Apr 29, 2004, 08:49 PM »
Spring river walleye....It's hard to beat jigs with Mister Twister tails/sassy shads, and worm harness spinners. In the summer crankbaits can be productive as well.

crappieloo

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2004, 10:25 AM »
Spring river walleye....It's hard to beat jigs with Mister Twister tails/sassy shads,
Same here,but cant use cranks or harnesses in my spots because it will cost you a fortune in lost tackle >:(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.