FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: downrigging  (Read 3568 times)

boblee

• BBBBBAAAAAAHHHHHH
downrigging
« on: Mar 12, 2011, 03:38 PM »
New to it and any info would be great.  what baits do you use, floaters, sticks, cranks or swim baits.  how far behind the wight do you fish them.  any help would be amazing

TheDL

Re: downrigging
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2011, 06:53 PM »
I too am looking for the same info - heard a few things, definately need to learn a little more.  particularly, how does a dipsy diver work, planar boards?  I understand the ball weight/release, flatlining, leadcore approch (I think).  I don't understand how dipsy/planar attach/control depth of your fishing....

please help a green horn troller...I'm lookin' for lake trout/salmon (maybe walleye) in Bay of Quinte/Lake ontario in spring, summer.

thanks
tight lines....

tbfisherman

• FISH SAFE FOR YOUR LOVED ONES
« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2011, 07:27 PM »

Hey Dave...I have all that stuff and when I take you out fishing I will show you how it all works or you
can use the Search Feature here there is tons of stuff written about all of them.

Bob

TheDL

« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2011, 07:28 PM »
hey Bob!

good to see you over here, you mean I don't need to go shoppin' before our spring fishing? lol...
tight lines....

tbfisherman

• FISH SAFE FOR YOUR LOVED ONES
« Reply #4 on: Mar 12, 2011, 07:35 PM »

No, lots of time for the Dipsy Divers but the Planner Boards work best in the spring when the Trout and Salmon
are near the surface. Your best bet is to get the Small Inline Plastic Planner Boards......I'll send you a long email tomorrow explaining everything.

Bob

Sluggo / NY

« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2011, 12:28 PM »
what baits do you use, floaters, sticks, cranks or swim baits.  how far behind the wight do you fish them.  any help would be amazing
I normally pull floating sticks, spoons or worm harnesses behind my riggers. As for the distance back... that depends on depth, water clarity and the species I'm targeting. I've found that walleye tend to be a bit ball shy.. plus I'm usually trolling the clear waters of Lake Erie.. so it's not uncommon for me to run 100 feet or more behind the ball. As much as I love using my downriggers.. I've found there are other trolling devices that work much better for walleye. You may want to check out my Trolling articles in the trolling section. Any more specific questions.. feel free to ask! Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

Rebelfisher

• Hook'em and Cook'em!!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 13, 2011, 06:21 PM »
also....SLOW IT WAY DOWN! eyes like it slow...less than 1.9mph
    A Country Boy can Survive!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.