FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Silly question  (Read 1741 times)

Ryan51993

Silly question
« on: Jul 13, 2022, 11:24 AM »
Hello Mainers I'm from MA and I'm taking a trip to Maine soon, plan on doing a little bit of fishing while I'm up there. Maine is quite a bit different than MA with all the different regulations for different waterbodies. I've seen some ponds labeled as no live bait but then I see reports of people using worms and dead shiners on those ponds. So does that mean live worms and dead shiners are not considered live bait on any/all water bodies in Maine?? I was hoping to do a little night fishing for bullhead just for fun and I typically use worms for that but the pond I'm staying at says no live bait and I don't want to cause any trouble. While I'm asking that I was also wondering if anyone is aware of the requirements for renting a boat for the day from one of the marinas. Is there a boater safety course requirement or anything like that?? Thanks everyone.

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
Re: Silly question
« Reply #1 on: Jul 13, 2022, 12:39 PM »
Not a silly question.  My take is that if the use of live bait fish is prohibited, the use of other bait (including worms and dead bait fish) is allowed.  Be careful with any spots that are ALO (artificial lures only) where bait is not allowed. 

9huskies

« Reply #2 on: Jul 13, 2022, 03:30 PM »
The rule is "No live fish as bait". Worms, maggots, crayfish, frogs and insects are not fish and can be used as bait while they are alive. If you want to use whole smelt, shiners or other fish they have to be dead. That means you can't have live bait fish on the boat. ALO (artificial lures only) is a different rule on other waters.

Baydog

« Reply #3 on: Jul 14, 2022, 06:00 AM »
Also, there is no boater safety course of any kind required to rent bots in Maine.

Baydog

« Reply #4 on: Jul 14, 2022, 06:01 AM »
Boats....

Ryan51993

« Reply #5 on: Jul 14, 2022, 06:29 AM »
Thank you all I truly appreciate everyone that took the time to respond.

joefishmore

« Reply #6 on: Jul 14, 2022, 12:10 PM »
If no live bait may not have bullheads there. Check maine lake survey maps.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.