FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: An Hour After Work  (Read 679 times)

bogtrotter

An Hour After Work
« on: Oct 23, 2020, 05:36 PM »
I got out on the South Hoosic in Adams for an hour late this afternoon/early this evening after work.

I started by Mullen Mayflower and waded downstream a little past Elm Rock.

I ran out of bait (a couple leftover nightcrawlers from last weekend) about 1/2 way there, so I scrabbled for some more, and turned up a slug, which I used to good effect by landing a 10" brown (my only "strike" of the day) beneath the man-made waterfall a short way downstream from Elm Rock.

lowaccord66

Re: An Hour After Work
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 2020, 07:39 PM »
Jim did I read that right?  You caught a brown on a slug?  If so, thats great.  I've never heard of that being done.

bogtrotter

« Reply #2 on: Oct 23, 2020, 08:09 PM »
Yes, you read it right.  I caught the brown on a garden slug.

I've done  it a few times over the years - - generally when (as tonight) I ran out of ordinary bait.

Slugs actually make surprisingly decent bait - - they're big enough for the fish to see, light colored and stay on the hook fairly well.

They're kinda like the land-based version of leeches - - which I've heard are a popular bait, but I've never gotten around to trying.

One down sid to using slugs, though, they're a gross slimy - - even by bait standards (sort of a "sticky slimy"), and they ooze an unpleasant orange oil when you hook them.

lowaccord66

« Reply #3 on: Oct 23, 2020, 08:51 PM »
Learn something new everyday Jim. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.