FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Drift Boat Guide Recommendation  (Read 2293 times)

zwiggles

Drift Boat Guide Recommendation
« on: Jul 22, 2019, 05:00 PM »
My father and I are relative newbies to fly fishing, and he has gotten interested in doing a guided drift trip. Prefer to target cold water species.

Does anyone have anyone they could recommend? Thanks in advance!

stguy

Re: Drift Boat Guide Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: Jul 22, 2019, 05:20 PM »
What area?

I have a friend on Moosehead, fishes the East outlet.

zwiggles

« Reply #2 on: Jul 22, 2019, 06:02 PM »
What area?

I’m on the sea coast of NH, but willing to drive. We were hesitant to bring our truck down the golden road having never been, and given our trucks current issues, when we have been discussing possible options.

stguy

« Reply #3 on: Jul 22, 2019, 06:13 PM »
Sent you a PM

woodchip1

« Reply #4 on: Jul 22, 2019, 07:47 PM »
Some of the float raft services have a bus from Greenville or Millinocket so one does not have to ride the dirt roads with their vehicle .

StarCraft

« Reply #5 on: Jul 23, 2019, 08:33 AM »
Sent a PM.....

Steve H.

« Reply #6 on: Jul 23, 2019, 12:29 PM »
I'd do the West Branch of the Penobscot or the East Outlet (of the Kennebec).  Both are wonderful fisheries.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

Steve H.

« Reply #7 on: Jul 23, 2019, 12:30 PM »
I’m on the sea coast of NH, but willing to drive. We were hesitant to bring our truck down the golden road having never been, and given our trucks current issues, when we have been discussing possible options.

Don't worry about the Golden Road, plenty of regular cars travel it with no issues.  Bring a good spare though (and jack), which is mandatory everywhere  up that way.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

zwiggles

« Reply #8 on: Jul 23, 2019, 12:35 PM »
Don't worry about the Golden Road, plenty of regular cars travel it with no issues.  Bring a good spare though (and jack), which is mandatory everywhere  up that way.

Yeah, we were debating going to Ross lake camps, but have had issues with our truck brakes all summer and a few other items. That was why we were hesitant to head up that direction with our boat, and have been considering a drift boat as an alternative. Were thinking toss next year.

zwiggles

« Reply #9 on: Jul 23, 2019, 12:36 PM »
Thanks everyone for the replies and PMs!

lowaccord66

« Reply #10 on: Jul 23, 2019, 03:18 PM »
What area?

Is that wadable?  Id be interested in checking it out too but don't need a guide unless a boat is needed.

Steve H.

« Reply #11 on: Jul 23, 2019, 03:37 PM »
Is that wadable?  Id be interested in checking it out too but don't need a guide unless a boat is needed.

Yes, the EO is wadable unless flows are running high.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #12 on: Jul 24, 2019, 08:57 AM »
I just got back from the west branch Z. The golden road gets raked almost daily so its nice a smooth. Cars have no issues and trailering is just fine. As someone else mentioned, there are definitely guides that use drift boats out there, I just dont know the names of them. (check out my other post about the fishing)
Wicked Wec

gunn308

« Reply #13 on: Jul 27, 2019, 06:40 PM »
Oats that have already been through the horse are always cheaper than oats that haven't!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.