FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Sally and Missy update  (Read 6855 times)

bigr

Sally and Missy update
« on: Apr 01, 2019, 08:51 AM »
Recent rains have the resi's on the rise and very muddy. Good news is that means the crappie are on the move up stream. In just a few days as the river begins to drop and clear the search for that slack area with fish piled up will begin. You need to be willing to do alittle walking and to find your own little hole. There will be lots of them as well as the usual places that the majority of us know. The next four weeks will be the peak on the resi's. When you find that spot you can expect to catch fish on nearly every cast. Been my experience that the very biggest will be the first to show but will only be around for a short time then the masses of eaters will fill the holes for a few weeks. Enjoy what's coming and watch for reports. White bass run is also just around the corner.

Daybreak

Re: Sally and Missy update
« Reply #1 on: Apr 01, 2019, 10:51 AM »
Are any of these locations "up stream - slack areas" accessible by boat?  I am one of those guys that hate to bank/wade fish, but have a nice multi species boat that holds most all my gear. I have always been very careful about where I go, so as not to damage the motor or boat.  That being said, my boat is heavy aluminum and can take some abuse.  I have fished most of the main reservoir body of Mississinewa, but have been pretty wary of venturing too far up the creeks, so to speak.
LUND - The Ultimate Fishing Experience!

bigr

« Reply #2 on: Apr 01, 2019, 01:29 PM »
Yes you will or can find slack areas from the boat. Ideal is from a kayak or canoe, put in at one of the close to river access points up river itself. But from any of the resi ramps you can run upstream in a boat until it gets noticeable shallow. Use caution and stay over the river channel as much as you can and just take things slow. You'll know when your about as far as you want to go and you may very well see other boats of your type making the trip also. Pearson mill ramp is to furthest up stream but resi will need to be 15 to 20 ft from summer pool for access from it. The dnr will also have to do some work clearing junk wood from ramp before it can be used. All should be good in a couple weeks I would think. 

bigr

« Reply #3 on: Apr 05, 2019, 03:17 AM »
Got out yesterday evening for alittle recon. Fished way up stream on the missy in the 1812 reenactment area. River was falling and clearing up.  Stopped at three spots and was able to pick up a few White bass. No crappie. I wasn't really expecting to find crappie that far up but wanted to eliminate water. I would say the white bass should get better real fast up there. Today I will work further down stream closer to back up area. Not sure how much rain we got last night or the effects of it. I'll report on Monday.   

GT12

« Reply #4 on: Apr 05, 2019, 10:42 AM »
Thanks, BigR for the continued updates. I decided to go try for some crappie/walleye up on the Wabash. I found out quickly that the Wabash was not wadeable so I tried for some crappie at a few spots. Managed one bite but that was it. The river was moving very fast but I still found a few slack areas. As you have been suggesting, it won't be long!

Greg

Bobber Watcher

« Reply #5 on: Apr 06, 2019, 08:52 PM »
I started at at Red Bridge and didn’t get a nibble,so I headed up stream east of the washed-out bridge. The bite was fantastic. Caught 20-25 crappie,only kept 10. The water was considerably clearer. Had a couple over 12

FW88

« Reply #6 on: Apr 07, 2019, 07:38 AM »
Hit up Huntington above markle was not able to find them. Hit below the dam at the spillway and had a few small crappie.

Saw a lot lined up around the back end of the reservoir but didn't get a chance to go back out there.

May try Sally later this week.

bherr24

« Reply #7 on: Apr 07, 2019, 08:52 PM »
tried 3 spots today in missy resi...finally found em in river past 13. long walk but had place to ourself. me and my buddy both limited. i had 6 fish that were 12 inches the rest were all 10 and 11 inchers. caught fish nearly every cast. started off with bobber and 2 tube jigs and had several doubles. got bored with that and started casting and retrieving twisters and got em that way too. Hope to get out again later in week.

bigr

« Reply #8 on: Apr 08, 2019, 11:29 AM »
Bite has been good for 5 to 6 days now in river all the way up to reenactment area. Crappie in the lower portion and white bass furthest up stream. Things will only get better for the next few weeks just might relocate some.

bigr

« Reply #9 on: Apr 11, 2019, 08:43 AM »
Both resi's are at the level the corp wants them as of today. Both will only go up from here on until summer pool is reached. A slow daily rise unless heavy rains. With warm dry weather we will see excellent fishing for all species and we'll be able to follow progression up stream with the rise until spawn is over. Reports to me are saying white bass are running well in both rivers and crappie bite is good were you can find them. Cat fishing has also been good. Don't forget about the gils. They also tend to bite well and you will be surprised at the size. Good luck.   

bherr24

« Reply #10 on: Apr 11, 2019, 08:56 AM »
Thanks bigr. Havent been out since sunday. My buddy went back monday to the area we fished sunday and found the river had muddied up overnight due to the storm. Only caught 1 fish. Just got a message from another buddy saying fish on every cast right now. Ill be over this afternoon to get in one more trip before these rains come in.

Big Buck

« Reply #11 on: Apr 11, 2019, 10:25 AM »
Are you guys having problems with the river flow chart for Peoria...mine hasnt updated for 2 days. I did pretty good on tuesday evening with mixed sizes...eager to get out again...FISH ON!!!!!

bigr

« Reply #12 on: Apr 12, 2019, 03:27 AM »
I hope this lite rain right now stays light. Went last evening much further up river than where I've been fishing and the real big black crappie were every cast. River was in perfect shape. As I type I hear a much heavier rain hitting over head. That spot is done but now i'll search even further upstream. Migration won't stop. Higher water just makes it easier for fish to reach furthest spots. Might have to what a day or two for water to settle some.

bherr24

« Reply #13 on: Apr 12, 2019, 11:52 AM »
Went over yesterday. Decided to try same area as sunday. Not quite as many fish or as big but still brought home 20. Average size was around 10 inches. Think next time out i will go further upstream. Been checking the river graph online and so far river has not went up hardly at all. Hope it doesnt change. If not ill be out again tomorrow.

FW88

« Reply #14 on: Apr 13, 2019, 08:36 PM »
Skunked in Huntington today. Try again this week.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.