FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Wawasee,Barbee Chain, Webster, Tippy  (Read 3244 times)

fishinpo1e1

Re: Wawasee,Barbee Chain, Webster, Tippy
« Reply #15 on: Jun 05, 2019, 01:49 PM »
I know a guy who ,a few winters ago sent me a picture of a true 12" bluegill he caught ice fishing from Wawasee. He has some hatchery experience and said he double checked fins etc to make sure it was a true gill.  Do gills get 14" long without being run over by a train?

taxid

« Reply #16 on: Jun 05, 2019, 03:59 PM »
I know a guy who ,a few winters ago sent me a picture of a true 12" bluegill he caught ice fishing from Wawasee. He has some hatchery experience and said he double checked fins etc to make sure it was a true gill.  Do gills get 14" long without being run over by a train?

I would not believe anyone these days that said they caught a 14 inch bluegill or even a 13 inch bluegill. However it's right there in print by one of the biologist authors of the text. And these guys were university professors too. 

I see no reason why biologists would lie about heir survey results, and it's obvious by the color plates in the book they knew their fish right down to the scientific names.

I will find the page and have the page photocopied by the wife.  I did that once but I think it's on my old computer.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

kevs

« Reply #17 on: Jun 05, 2019, 11:00 PM »
 Years past on some lakes we used to catch 10" plus gills and redears 11" plus. We do not catch them that size anymore. The older fellas I fished with had a self imposed limit of 25-35 fish per person gills and redears and we were done (70s-80s). I kept that going and still believe in that today. Besides that, I don't like to stand and clean more than 35-40 fish at one time. Not all lakes should have 25 bluegill limit. They should go back to giving credit to college students for creel surveys at lakes as they did in years past and do real time counts of fish harvested so that actual figures could be used in determining how many fish should be taken from specific lakes. The manpower is there, the students need the experience, the cost is free, and the numbers would be real.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.