FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Here Piggy Piggy!  (Read 1900 times)

taxid

Here Piggy Piggy!
« on: Oct 22, 2019, 09:17 PM »
Got these two tiger trout today in the pond.  :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:

Brown trout are of normal proportions on the same amount of feed. Not sure why.

Tiger # 38  18.0 inches; 4.10 lbs.

Tiger # 43  16 3/4 inche; 3.57 lbs.

Brown Trout # 29  22 1/4 inches; 4.54 lbs.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

seamonkey84

Re: Here Piggy Piggy!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 22, 2019, 11:43 PM »
That brown is a nice stick of butter!  Those others really look like camels lol. I wonder why the brookies/tigers gets hump backs but other fish just get big and fat with small heads.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

taxid

« Reply #2 on: Oct 23, 2019, 02:31 AM »
That brown is a nice stick of butter!  Those others really look like camels lol. I wonder why the brookies/tigers gets hump backs but other fish just get big and fat with small heads.

I think the hump back is due to sexual dimorphism. That is, a physical change during spawning season. The male brooks do get a higher back and the lower jaw lengthens in wild populations too. I'm seen similar pictures during or just before they spawn where feed is plentiful in wild populations in Patagonia like this one:

Truthfully I'd prefer they not be that brood as they are kind of freaky although my taxidermist customers love them. But it's hard to know how much to feed as I can't inventory for total weight like one does in an raceway. I do know one year I was feeding half of the recommended rate for the pounds I thought were in the pond and still ended up with fat fish. 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Oct 23, 2019, 03:41 AM »
oink oink oink !  must be feeding them chunks of lake trout rolled in lard and GNC powder!

Ssssshhhhhh!  ;D

Fish Farmer

« Reply #4 on: Oct 26, 2019, 09:14 AM »
Sometimes when our brookies are that "humpy' we consider them inbred. We have browns that look like that..more bass/bluegill shaped....they get culled.

But I've seen plenty of wild brook trout pictures with the humpy characteristic, so it can't be all bad.

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2019, 02:44 PM »
I am seeing minor defects here and there on the brooks so they may be inbred badly. I also didn't get the best survival this year on the brooks so I think I will go back to my old source in Michigan for at least brooks. I'll have to buy fry as the old source doesn't sell eggs but that won't be such a big deal.

Here is the biggest tiger so far but I honestly am not sure if it's male or female. It has possibly a very tiny kype, but it's not very obvious if it is one. It also has more color than the female tigers I have been catching which pretty much stay silver.

23 inches and 6.79 pounds.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.