FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Rod building  (Read 27620 times)

filetandrelease

Re: Rod building
« Reply #45 on: Jan 17, 2021, 04:09 AM »
 They aren’t fancy , just like my bucktails , they are just functional, as I’m not a perfectionist
 But you know RG over the years guys seem to try and use a small tool for a big job , they should know the limitations of their equipment 😃

KingPerch

« Reply #46 on: Jan 17, 2021, 08:25 AM »
    Don’t know what to tell you Mac I’ve made dozens of spoons ,which are a weighted type flutter spoon which is very thin , I didn't buy it for heavy grinding, 
     These didn’t object 😃

[/list]
OMG! You eat those?? Leave them on the front step, I’ll be by to dispose of them for you.😁

Heavy metal, heavy grinder!
Light metal, light grinder! My granddad taught me that many years ago. 😎
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #47 on: Jan 17, 2021, 09:03 AM »

Words to live by.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #48 on: Jan 17, 2021, 10:01 AM »

Mac Attack

« Reply #49 on: Jan 17, 2021, 01:57 PM »
All eyes, tiptop, and hook stay wound and epoxied.  One of the eyes winding frayed a little.  I should be able to repair it but if not I’ll remove it, rewrap and epoxy it again.  Came out pretty nice for a low cost rod that will get used.  Still not sure who will get it yet.

I have a video of it drying in the lathe I would like to post.

Hey Bob - how can I get it loaded here?

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #50 on: Jan 17, 2021, 02:26 PM »
Have to load it to YouTube first. Vimeo might work as well. Postimages doesn’t load videos to my knowledge.

Bob
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #51 on: Jan 17, 2021, 04:47 PM »

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #52 on: Jan 17, 2021, 06:12 PM »
Round and round and round they go......

Rg

Mac Attack

« Reply #53 on: Jan 17, 2021, 07:39 PM »
The dremel worked.
Not sure if it’s any better than my bench grinder for doing the eye feet.
But it works.

And Jeff brought back my bench grinder.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #54 on: Jan 18, 2021, 05:32 AM »
Just easier and a little more precise. I think.

Bob

Mac Attack

« Reply #55 on: Jan 21, 2021, 09:26 PM »
Starting 4 new rods.  All 7’ two pc spinning rods.  Two medium and 2 light.  The mediums will be good for casting plugs, spinners, and spoons to pike and bass.  The lights will be awesome for jigging walleye or even a very nice perch and crappie rig.  Fast action on all.  Just finished the butt end of the first of the medium rods.  I’m going to do a special black/red thread wrap on these and then probably sell them.  These are going to end up being good quality rods that you can fish with.  Probably only look to regain the material costs.  Not sure yet how much.  We’ll see how nice they turn out.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #56 on: Jan 25, 2021, 07:19 AM »
Posted my project Working on a couple Orvis bamboo rods for a friend in the fly tying thread. Though it should be over here.

Made some good progress so far.

Spent time yesterday stripping the guides off the midge rod. Found a new stripping guide for it in my collection. Got a few coats of spar varnish on both rods. They look pretty darned amazing. The handles cleaned up like new. Cleaned the ferrules and winding checks and removed the corrosion from the reel seats. Removed the two damaged eyes and tip tops from the Shooting Star. Found a couple vintage Hardy Fowlproof wire frame guides on eBay to replace the damaged guides. Ordered some chestnut brown silk thread to do the re-wrapping. Ordered two new tip tops to replace the rusted ones. Tried to bring them back to life but they were too pitted to save.

All the decals and serial numbers are in tact.

Decided to put a little heat to the one tip section and straighten it a bit. It’s not perfect but it’ll fish alright.
I’ll take some pics later after they dry for a while.
 They both cleaned up very well. Beautiful color to them both.

I was 8 years old when the Shooting Star was made......63 years ago, and it’s still a fine fly rod.

Guess I’ll have to work up a little hand wrapping fixture today. Not much to wrapping bamboo rods. Silk thread, no trim wraps, spar varnish finish. All hand work. They’ll end up as close to original as is possible.

Rg

Mac Attack

« Reply #57 on: Jan 25, 2021, 07:53 AM »

All the decals and serial numbers are in tact.

Rg

That is amazing - sometimes things don't make sense but it's great when it happens.
Then other times..............

Can't wait to see your photos Bob.

I finished the butt section on the 2nd medium weight rod yesterday before the games.
I'm going to do them in sets so that I don't get them confused.
First the medium weight blanks, then the light afterwards.
Or at least until I can get the decals adhered and epoxied to trhe medium rods so I don't mix things up.

Here's a pic I took of the butt sections.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #58 on: Jan 25, 2021, 08:41 AM »
They look pretty sweet!
Bob

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #59 on: Jan 25, 2021, 12:22 PM »
The Shooting Star

The Midge

Waiting on a few components now.

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.