FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 513268 times)

tomturkey

Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #90 on: Jun 20, 2015, 07:43 PM »
The plantings seem to get bigger each year with me. I'm going to need to set up rainwater collection. My water bills are high enough.

Rg

That might work this year but as my buddy found out a lot of years it does not work. We guttered his pole barn into a 1000 gallon tank to get spray water for his asparagus field. He got just enough water in the tank to grow skeeters. Nothing like a dry summer to burst your bubble.

I guess since you retired you have a lot of time to kill. A 16 X 24 area will take a lot of spades full to turn over let alone make it plantable. ;D

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #91 on: Jun 20, 2015, 07:50 PM »
My small garden is basically on shale. I laid the phone pole border, removed the sod, laid down  garden fabric and hauled in top soil and manure 70/30 to fill. That was 12 years ago and it still doesn't have any substantial weed problem.  ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #92 on: Jun 20, 2015, 08:02 PM »
16 x 28 is what mine is. I water only the plants when I have to. Water at dusk. It's still moist in the morning. Once a week Miracle Grow except peppers. NEVER FEED PEPPERS. You'll get awesome bush but no fruit.
   Any way, you can pull it through a drought on 5 gal/ day.  ;D
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #93 on: Jun 20, 2015, 08:18 PM »
The rain may be a little stinky for fishing, but it's got my "freezer" garden happy.Garlic, 3 rows of tomatoes, cabbage (from seed), broccoli, cauliflower, eggplant, 2 rows of peppers, plum tomatoes, and 4 hills green pole beans (from seed) with the asparagus patch at the far end.  ;D

That looks awesome mister...

I'm sorry I have been slacking on this thread.
Busy planting mums at work .
Garden looks great and so do the tomato's and peppers. Will post some pictures soon..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #94 on: Jun 20, 2015, 08:30 PM »
And dont water in the evening and dont use that M grow stuff......... ;) ;) ;) ;)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #95 on: Jun 20, 2015, 08:38 PM »
Lol. I grew up watering in the evening.  ;D ;D ;D

And then we went and jumped in the lake before we went trolling for girls.  ;D  ;D ;D Those were the days..........

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #96 on: Jun 20, 2015, 08:44 PM »
Lol. I grew up watering in the evening.  ;D ;D ;D

And then we went and jumped in the lake before we went trolling for girls.  ;D  ;D ;D Those were the days..........
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #97 on: Jun 21, 2015, 06:14 AM »
 :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #98 on: Jun 21, 2015, 06:16 AM »
Been picking tomatoes and peppers for a week now...

BLACK ICE

« Reply #99 on: Jun 21, 2015, 06:48 AM »

Good for you Dom, nice looking veggies! :flex:

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #100 on: Jun 22, 2015, 09:52 AM »

That might work this year but as my buddy found out a lot of years it does not work. We guttered his pole barn into a 1000 gallon tank to get spray water for his asparagus field. He got just enough water in the tank to grow skeeters. Nothing like a dry summer to burst your bubble.

I guess since you retired you have a lot of time to kill. A 16 X 24 area will take a lot of spades full to turn over let alone make it plantable. ;D

Yeah, I just weed whacked it. The tiger lilies are thick around the edge. They're gonna be a pain. I'll probably transplant some as a border against the back of the garage. I have access to a couple of tillers a small one and a big boy. Personally, I think a little backhoe for a day would be the answer :-\

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #101 on: Jun 22, 2015, 10:47 AM »

Personally, I think a little backhoe for a day would be the answer :-\

Rg

Not to mention, a lot of fun.

;D

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #102 on: Jun 22, 2015, 10:54 AM »
Been picking tomatoes and peppers for a week now...
That looks like a fresh salsa to me!..... mmmmm  :thumbup_smilie:  :thumbup_smilie:  :thumbup_smilie:

Yachtzy

« Reply #103 on: Jun 22, 2015, 02:09 PM »
To all, any secrets you can share with the green peppers? They are my favorite, but yet i can't seem to harvest any. I have bought plants before with them already on it but they would never produce for me. Wrong PH, too much water, too much sun??? I'm not sure. Meanwhile,  same garden, I would have so many cukes and tomatoes that I could have opened a roadside stand. Also I never fertilized, I figured I'd go all natural, used as much rainwater that I could collect also. I got so fed up that I go to the farmer's stand down the street now.

BLACK ICE

« Reply #104 on: Jun 22, 2015, 04:52 PM »

Deer hit my garden last night, so now there is a fence around it, I would have liked to have put an electric fence up but I'm kind
         of strapped with my upcoming wedding. ???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.