FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 513208 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #810 on: Oct 08, 2016, 05:54 PM »
Great looking harvest there DD. I'm not giving up just yet.
Here's the potting bench in place. Just need to add some patio blocks and level it.

Gardens going strong. Asparagus, beans, radishes, chard, snow peas and peppers.

Planted the garlic bed today.

Don't know how long it will last, but I'm in it till the horse bucks me.

Getting ready to get the bench dirty with bulb planting and reclaiming the flower pots.

I'm still kicking around the hydroponic garden ideas.  :w00t:

Rg

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #811 on: Oct 09, 2016, 05:30 AM »
Wow that looks great Bob..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #812 on: Oct 09, 2016, 04:44 PM »
Thanks Dom.Got it leveled up and dirty today ;D

I like it. Looks like it belongs there. Works well too.
 Already have orders for two more. My daughter wants one and my son wants one for his girlfriends mom. I'm thinking they'll be gratis :-\

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #813 on: Oct 10, 2016, 03:56 AM »
Getting kind of sketchy in the garden. Looks like first frost could come this week. Think I'll harvest the peppers this morning. The rest will do what it does at this point. Planted half e new bed with garlic and covered it with chicken wire to keep the critters out. Pulled the parsley and worked in compost and manure in that part of the bed.transplanted a few roots to a small flower box for an indoor herb garden. I'll add some Thai basil to it as well.

Leaves are falling pretty good now. I moved really short yesterday so I can bag leaves for mulch  with the mower and not pick up too much grass. Some of the asparagus is starting to yellow, but there's also new shoots.

I might transplant a couple of the smaller snow peas to a pot and bring them inside just as an experiment.

Any of you guys use a cold frame in the spring? I know ...........I have all winter to think about it .  ::)

Rg

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #814 on: Oct 10, 2016, 05:26 AM »

I really like that bench ;D I plan on getting my Garlic in this week too, pulled all my Maters. Anyone ever let the carrots go till Spring?

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #815 on: Oct 10, 2016, 05:31 AM »
The carrots will turn to mush..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #816 on: Oct 10, 2016, 10:12 AM »
X2
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

tomturkey

« Reply #817 on: Oct 10, 2016, 04:33 PM »
Cover the carrots with a thick layer of leaves and leave them until spring. They will be the sweetest carrots you have ever ate come spring. Same with parsnips.

drowndin dots

« Reply #818 on: Oct 10, 2016, 04:51 PM »

That's what I heard the other day..... Maybe I'll try it with half.

drowndin dots

« Reply #819 on: Oct 10, 2016, 04:51 PM »
The carrots will turn to mush..
I'm not that old  :w00t: :w00t: :rotflol:

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #820 on: Oct 10, 2016, 06:16 PM »
Cover the carrots with a thick layer of leaves and leave them until spring. They will be the sweetest carrots you have ever ate come spring. Same with parsnips.
The parsnips have worked for me but I've never had success with the carrots.  My best results were layering carrots and sand in a plastic tote in the cellar.  Sand, carrots, sand, carrots, etc. They stayed fresh and crisp through March.   ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #821 on: Oct 11, 2016, 03:38 AM »
Frosty punkins out there this morning. I covered things up.....we'll see if anything survives. Supposed to be 74 tomorrow. 32 out there now and I think it could drop a bit more. That's a 42 degree swing in 24 hours.

Gonna need a couple extra layers for my walk this morning. Wonder if they make electric knee warmers ;).

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #822 on: Oct 11, 2016, 05:21 AM »
Covered some things up also but it's 28* here. I hope the trees helped protect it..

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #823 on: Oct 11, 2016, 05:10 PM »
I escaped unscathed. Not so cold tonight so I'm good. Next problem will come Friday night. In the 30's again. I just want to see a few beans and I'll be happy ;D

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #824 on: Oct 11, 2016, 05:32 PM »
I came home from work at noon to take my tarps off and everything looked so good I watered everything..   But last week I took the electric fence down and I noticed all the ends of the tomato plants have been browsed by the deer....    I might get a couple more weeks out of it...     And put my ground blind up by it.. ::) ::)     ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.