FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 512911 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #990 on: Feb 04, 2017, 02:59 AM »
I missed this one DD. Last year I started everything from seed. I picked up a crushed 2x4' troffer fixture from Lowes for $20 I think and put 4- 5000k lamps in it to use as a starter. Bought some of the little plastic cube trays and some of the small peat containers. I lined the fixture with reflectix ( I have pictures of the setup somewhere) and made it adjustable. Worked like a charm.

Learned a bit too. I started way too many plants for what I used and started them way too soon. Hopefully I'll be able to stand the wait this spring and not get going too soon. But, knowing me.....I'll get really anxious to play in the dirt  ;D

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #991 on: Feb 04, 2017, 07:43 AM »

Learned a bit too. I started way too many plants for what I used and started them way too soon. Hopefully I'll be able to stand the wait this spring and not get going too soon. But, knowing me.....I'll get really anxious to play in the dirt  ;D

Rg

This brings up a question I have always wondered.
When do you plant inside?
Say you want to move them outside on Memorial weekend.
How many weeks before would be a good rule of thumb.
I'm speaking about plants like tomatoes, pepper, zucchini, and cukes.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #992 on: Feb 04, 2017, 07:57 AM »
We get our tomato and pepper plugs 3rd week of March and they are 1/2 to 3/4 inches tall...  Than they are all transplanted into 6pack trays...   All 18,000 of them... :o
Zucchini and cucumbers we start from seed and they only need about 4 weeks inside...
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #993 on: Feb 04, 2017, 01:18 PM »
Seems to me that 4-5 weeks is more than plenty. This year I'll "harden " the seedlings by graudally moving them outdoors....at least that's my plan ......sort of :-\ . Last year I let some get too tall under the lights by starting too early. They got a bit skinny. So this year I'll start a bit later and move them out to the sunshine  earlier, bringing them in at night.

Hopefully it will encourage a more robust seedling. I'm new at this so experienced suggestions are very welcome.

I think I'm going to make a "hot box" in the garden area to help things along. I want another bed for Strawberries anyway. It can be dual purpose. That's assuming I plant the strawberries as annuals.

Need to do some more research on that too.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #994 on: Feb 05, 2017, 09:24 AM »

The little AeroGarden is doing pretty well other than the parsley and cilantro pods that came with the kit. We did however put fresh seeds in them last Sunday and they too are sprouted today. We had to raise the lights 4" this week!

Last night we ordered a 31 station seed starting tray for it. It is used to germinate and start the seeds, then you transplant the plugs into your pots or 6 packs.  That's our Valentine's gift to each other.  Fun!   ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #995 on: Feb 05, 2017, 11:31 AM »
Bob the hardening off is a great idea...
As far as annual strawberries theres a lot of different kinds, even climbing...   Most people grow them in large containers.

Bill that looks like a tropical paradise compared to outside... ;D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #996 on: Feb 05, 2017, 12:35 PM »
I've got lots of greenery in my home, none of fit is edible though. I like the little growing station.

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #998 on: Feb 05, 2017, 02:15 PM »
Here is a picture from last year of the Meyers Lemon we have in the green house ...

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #999 on: Feb 05, 2017, 03:39 PM »
Pretty cool Dom. Does it drop it's leaves in the winter?

I was just telling my Bride you have it made with those greenhouses. You'll have tomatoes and peppers in May ;D

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1000 on: Feb 05, 2017, 04:08 PM »
No stays green year round, it gets the fruit on it in the winter.  There about ready to harvest now....   A little vodka 7 and fresh lemon party... ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1001 on: Feb 05, 2017, 04:15 PM »
I love it :clapping: :clapping:

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #1002 on: Feb 06, 2017, 09:05 AM »
I've got lots of greenery in my home, none of fit is edible though. I like the little growing station.

Rg

Again, it's fun! We enjoyed a fresh Dill dip with the Super Bowl last. Yum!! It was really good on the mini pigs-in-a-blanket.  ;D

This morning, the cilantro that was just sprouted yesterday, is touching the top of the dome. That's like 3/4" overnight!   :o

I might have to try one of those little lime trees, Dom.   ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #1003 on: Feb 09, 2017, 10:31 AM »
Here is a picture from last year of the Meyers Lemon we have in the green house ...

The Meyer lemon is amazing, We used to make a Beurre Blanc out of them at the Sherwood in and serve it with all sorts of fish  ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1004 on: Feb 09, 2017, 04:53 PM »
It was pretty slow at the store today. Had my pad and pencil in hand doing drawings of my garden plots. Looks like I'll be adding a bed in the spring. Can't get here too soon for me.

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.