FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 513000 times)

Mac Attack

Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #1005 on: Feb 09, 2017, 07:35 PM »

Can't get here too soon for me.

Rg

about time you saw the light.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1006 on: Feb 10, 2017, 04:06 AM »

THE GARDEN ELWOOD..........THE GARDEN!
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #1007 on: Feb 10, 2017, 07:35 AM »

Too early to pine for the Garden RG, Long ways to go yet. I might just buy some Pickling Cukes from Wegmans and make a couple batches, I'm long out, and the store bought ones I used to love just don't cut it after last year ;) I'm actually going to scale back on the variety of plants this year and focus more on what does well and I can preserve. Anything else will be potted like lettuces and herbs. I usually do 6 Zucchini, only going for 3. Expanding the cuke and pepper area, 2X the Brussels as last year and 2x the peas and beans. Maters I might scale back a plant as well.   

Fish Farmer

« Reply #1008 on: Feb 10, 2017, 08:58 AM »
Last year it was so dry I had poor results in one garden, but good results on the one with the rain barrel. Even the lack of rain dried up the rain barrel source for a while.

This April I'm redoing some gutters and using two, possibly three barrels and lots of hose. It would be nice if I never have to run town water for my various planted areas.

I may try a planting of Virginia peanuts up here in the Champlain Valley. They say they need 4 months of frost free weather. Usually our last frost is mid May and it can be pretty mild and then one in September. Last year it was mild in May and stayed hot forever. I plan on seeding the peanuts in the ground the beginning of May and covering with a clear plastic cold frame. I could also start them inside on my sunny porch. I may do them both ways to compare growth.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1009 on: Feb 10, 2017, 01:50 PM »
Good thing I have the "little wood shop" to keep me busy DD. No ice to speak of...I'd go nutz if I couldn't get lost on the lathe.

I'm scaling back the tomatoes for sure. Just enough to harvest and eat. I'll buy sauce and salsa tomatoes. Pickles on the other hand.....I'm not sure I can grow enough in the space I have. Fortunately, I've still got a fair stash from last year. I had about 10 plants last year and bought another bushel or so. I'll have at least 15 plants this year.

I've been researching growing peanuts too, but I'll probably pass this year. I was reading about growing veggies from the bottom of a hanging 5 gallon bucket. I've got 6 posts that will support 2 buckets each :w00t: maybe beans or peppers . I'm still contemplating.

Rg

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

drowndin dots

« Reply #1010 on: Feb 10, 2017, 03:55 PM »
Good thing I have the "little wood shop" to keep me busy DD. No ice to speak of...I'd go nutz if I couldn't get lost on the lathe.

I'm scaling back the tomatoes for sure. Just enough to harvest and eat. I'll buy sauce and salsa tomatoes. Pickles on the other hand.....I'm not sure I can grow enough in the space I have. Fortunately, I've still got a fair stash from last year. I had about 10 plants last year and bought another bushel or so. I'll have at least 15 plants this year.

I've been researching growing peanuts too, but I'll probably pass this year. I was reading about growing veggies from the bottom of a hanging 5 gallon bucket. I've got 6 posts that will support 2 buckets each :w00t: maybe beans or peppers . I'm still contemplating.

Rg
The lack of ice is frustrating, every day I look at the 3k+ of gear I have just sitting there and get a little sick. I could drive and fish some smaller waters, but The slow work, and now the flu have kept me home. I think I'll try the strawberry plants in a hanging bucket this year. I have to build a patch for the ever bearing plants, they are not the best eating berries, but it's cool to get fresh berries in November ;D I really need to work on an irrigation system for my fruit trees, and a way to combat the dang Jap Beetles, they decimate my trees year after year.  

I've also been kicking around the Idea of a root cellar, old school one. I have plenty of space and my neighbor operates a site work company, I'm sure I can find a way to barter a nice big hole in the ground ::) ::) Dang it RG I'm excited for a garden now..... Maybe I'll just go hang with Dom at his green houses for a spell ;)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1011 on: Feb 10, 2017, 04:36 PM »
Pretty sure Dom could use the help soon. He's a busy boy this time of year.

It's a tough time of year. Especially for the "green thumbs" . I've taken to long walks in the woods looking for standing deadwood saplings to turn on the lathe. At least it's out in the light of day.

Rg

drowndin dots

« Reply #1012 on: Feb 10, 2017, 05:18 PM »
Pretty sure Dom could use the help soon. He's a busy boy this time of year.

It's a tough time of year. Especially for the "green thumbs" . I've taken to long walks in the woods looking for standing deadwood saplings to turn on the lathe. At least it's out in the light of day.

Rg

What kind of wood do you like RG? I have a few on my property, mostly maple.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1013 on: Feb 10, 2017, 05:35 PM »
Maple, ash, beech, black birch, cherry.to name a few. My son is asst. superintendent at a local country club. They've been taking out a lot of trees to open up the course. I've got a pretty good supply of ash and maple. This spring we're going to raid the log piles for bowl blanks.

We've just started playing with turning green wood and have a stack that's drying as well. Fun stuff on the lathe.

Rg

drowndin dots

« Reply #1014 on: Feb 10, 2017, 06:08 PM »
Maple, ash, beech, black birch, cherry.to name a few. My son is asst. superintendent at a local country club. They've been taking out a lot of trees to open up the course. I've got a pretty good supply of ash and maple. This spring we're going to raid the log piles for bowl blanks.

We've just started playing with turning green wood and have a stack that's drying as well. Fun stuff on the lathe.

Rg
I envy you my friend, once you decide to part with any of your creations look me up  ;)

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1015 on: Feb 10, 2017, 06:56 PM »
Bob plant your cucumbers along your fence and get them to climb up. Saves a lot of room...
And I have never seen anyone have any luck growing plants upside down, but knowing you, you will get them to flourish...
 ;D
  And I'm not doing egg plants, broccoli and cauliflower...  That should open up some room...
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

boondox

« Reply #1016 on: Feb 11, 2017, 12:31 AM »
Doing some gardening research.. thinking about ripping out a few older boxes.. reason being were not planting as much as we use to..  so thinking maybe one small box that will handle it all is in need.. sick of weeding every spring summer and fall.. looking and getting lots of ideas off pintrest and here..

really looking in to a raised bed design  you can sit on the edge and weed the garden from so not bending and stooping over trying to weed it..  thinking a 1.5 to 2 foot from ground up box full of dirt with a stable edge you can sit on..  3x6 foot square  ting to face it in to the sun rise for plenty sun maybe a latice wood back so tomato and cucumbers have some thing to grip to in the back half and maybe peppers and garlic etc in the front but will see what happens..

drowndin dots

« Reply #1017 on: Feb 11, 2017, 11:14 AM »
Doing some gardening research.. thinking about ripping out a few older boxes.. reason being were not planting as much as we use to..  so thinking maybe one small box that will handle it all is in need.. sick of weeding every spring summer and fall.. looking and getting lots of ideas off pintrest and here..

really looking in to a raised bed design  you can sit on the edge and weed the garden from so not bending and stooping over trying to weed it..  thinking a 1.5 to 2 foot from ground up box full of dirt with a stable edge you can sit on..  3x6 foot square  ting to face it in to the sun rise for plenty sun maybe a latice wood back so tomato and cucumbers have some thing to grip to in the back half and maybe peppers and garlic etc in the front but will see what happens..
Have you tried the landscaping fabric?We have used it the last 2 years and it has eliminated weeding almost entirely, you get a few weeds from where you cut the fabric for your plant, but literally I spent 10 mins weeding all of last summer.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1018 on: Feb 11, 2017, 02:05 PM »
For you guys that have way to many zucchinis, my wife and I were watching a cooking show this morning and the lady was making zucchini pickles....   Lots of different kinds of recipes for them ...   Were going to try them this year....

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS724US724&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=zucchini+pickles 
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

boondox

« Reply #1019 on: Feb 11, 2017, 04:58 PM »
Have you tried the landscaping fabric?We have used it the last 2 years and it has eliminated weeding almost entirely, you get a few weeds from where you cut the fabric for your plant, but literally I spent 10 mins weeding all of last summer.

We tried it..  the fabric works good but we got so many boxes just becomes a pain with them all and more then half of the boxes are not used any more.. like said will see.. maybe I have to do a hydroponics garden will see.. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.