FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 512897 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #1020 on: Feb 11, 2017, 05:26 PM »
I've used fabric and not. My raised beds didn't take 10 minutes to weed last year with or without. I won't be using it this year. I think the trick is to keep the beds narrow enough to reach the center easily. I don't believe I'll ever build one wider than 3'. In fact I think 2' is better for my type of small space gardening.

I had a really good harvest last season considering it was my first year with the beds. I'm looking forward to learning  lot more this year.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

boondox

« Reply #1021 on: Feb 11, 2017, 05:51 PM »
Our beds now are 4 x6 and 4X4 etc just to large to keep up with and thinking the smaller beds will help out..

Mac Attack

« Reply #1022 on: Feb 12, 2017, 01:37 PM »
Sauerkraut update. After eating 2 qts of what we made, Donna and I both agreed the cabbage really needed more pickling time before we bagged it and froze it. The 4 wks or so just wasn't enough. It tasted more like cabbage than sauerkraut. Others would have liked it but we both enjoy it to be more fermented and more flavorful. So I decided to thaw all the bags and put it all back into the pickle bucket and give it a few more weeks. A lot of extra work, but it was worth it. I re-fermented it an extra 4 weeks. Bagged it all up today and just put it into the freezer out in the garage. It now tastes more like sauerkraut. We'll see what it tastes like next time I cook some up.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #1023 on: Feb 12, 2017, 02:14 PM »

Look! It grew! The little AeroGarden doubled in size over night! Lol.  :o

My bride got an offer for the new one at $50 off the regular price with free 2nd day shipping.  The herb garden is doing so well we couldn't resist, so this one is heirloom cherry tomatoes. We should be eating tomatoes in 6 weeks. If they do as well as the herbs, I'll give it 5!   ;D  ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #1024 on: Feb 12, 2017, 02:21 PM »
Sauerkraut update......
Wish I could try your kraut. Being an ' ol Bohemian we use cabbage and kraut quite often.  I'll bet it would be delicious with pork chops and dumplings!   ;D
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

tomturkey

« Reply #1025 on: Feb 12, 2017, 03:18 PM »
I finally found some decent beef short  ribs. Plans are to make some of my Grandmas liver dumplings. It takes two days to get them completed. It has been a while so I hope I can make them come out right. I made some for my brother and his kids one time. They all said no one could make them like Mom did. I did not hear any complaints. There were no leftovers but a bunch of complaints when they found out I kept some at home for my boys.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1026 on: Feb 12, 2017, 03:19 PM »
Looking great Bill...   Fresh cherries sound good not like the ones in the store this time of year... :P
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1027 on: Feb 12, 2017, 03:43 PM »
Don't know about the saurkraut, but the wings were great ;D

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #1028 on: Feb 12, 2017, 05:27 PM »
The wings look good, Bob.  It must be chicken day.  I've had chicken gravy slow cooking all day for chicken and biscuits.   ;D

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1029 on: Feb 12, 2017, 05:33 PM »
Yup, and my wife made 2 huge chicken and vegetable pot pies..   YUM...    ;D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1030 on: Feb 12, 2017, 06:28 PM »
Comfort food all around ;D

Rg

Mac Attack

« Reply #1031 on: Feb 13, 2017, 01:01 AM »
Wish I could try your kraut. Being an ' ol Bohemian we use cabbage and kraut quite often.  I'll bet it would be delicious with pork chops and dumplings!   ;D

make some of your own.
it's very easy.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1032 on: Feb 13, 2017, 02:46 PM »
Not fond enough of kraut to make a batch.

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1033 on: Feb 16, 2017, 11:52 AM »
I started these avocados the end of the summer and there growing well...  They will be transplanted this summer into  bigger pots...   And we have another one starting to sprout...

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1034 on: Feb 16, 2017, 03:01 PM »
Pretty cool!
I like the boot tray/plant tray ;D

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.