FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: More Red River Family Fun  (Read 1861 times)

Thriller

• Take a child fishing
More Red River Family Fun
« on: Jul 20, 2004, 10:57 PM »
Everyone caught fish but me...Joseph pulled one in - Suzanne had cast for him and had a goldeye on before she could hand him the rod.  He was happy at least.

Final scores:
Suzanne - 2 goldeye, one, maybe 2 broken off
Teresa - 1 goldeye, one channel cat (more appropriate this time for the rod she was using at least)
Luke - 1 bullhead, 1 goldeye
Joseph - 1 goldeye
Derek - goose egg

It was Suzanne's first goldeye tonight.  We didn't get a picture of Joseph with his fish - I was cleaning up, Suzanne had the camera and she was helping him out with it.

Derek

vancouvercanuck

Re: More Red River Family Fun
« Reply #1 on: Jul 21, 2004, 10:29 AM »
Not to often do you see kids wearing PFD's close to water on shore these days. Good on you for being a responsible adult. +10 to you!! :D :D
"Surveys show that minesweaping draws the most diligent and precise individuals of any profession with employees averaging only one mistake per career." - Author Unknown

perchfisher

• waitin' for a bite
« Reply #2 on: Jul 21, 2004, 02:07 PM »
what bait do u use for goldeye
-cole

Thriller

• Take a child fishing
« Reply #3 on: Jul 21, 2004, 05:17 PM »
We were fishing crawler pieces perhap a couple feet under bobbers.  At the end (near sundown), my wife had them hitting almost as soon as they hit the water.  She was trying to get one for the little guy, but the goldeye were biting before she could hand him the rod.  They also prefer a bit of slack water, so get into a bit of an eddy.  Use small hooks too.  One or two of the hooks we had on were too big and wound up going through the eye.  We wound up keeping them for cat bait anyway.

Last year, we did catch the odd goldeye on salted minnows as well.  Close to 20 years ago I caught a large goldeye on the South Saskatchewan River with a frog that I caught along the bank.

Derek
Derek

grumpymoe

« Reply #4 on: Jul 21, 2004, 06:04 PM »
very nice family and fish pics....the big zero for you again???...keep em coming thriller....grump 8) 8)

Thriller

• Take a child fishing
« Reply #5 on: Jul 21, 2004, 09:22 PM »
Yeah well, between baiting for the little ones and coaching / netting for the little cat, it wasn't like I was sitting there.  After a couple of goldeyes were caught either deeply hooked or through the eye, I pulled out the cat rod for a bit.

I am slowly coming to the realization that when I take the kids fishing I can't expect to have a lot of time with a line in the water myself.  But if me spending time baiting, netting, and taking photos keeps the kids happy, it's a good thing  ;D  Also, with good behaviour like that, Suzanne is a bit more likely to let me get out with a friend or two as well on occasion.

I haven't had that many zeroes this year...sheesh  ::) ::) 8)

Derek
Derek

grumpymoe

« Reply #6 on: Jul 21, 2004, 09:54 PM »
a good payback always comes with time spent keeping the kids busy....and happily pulling fish in for dad to take off...take pics...and generally keep them interested....your great day will come soon....no dig intended thriller ;D ;D...grump 8)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.