FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Skeg Guards  (Read 5784 times)

lowaccord66

Skeg Guards
« on: Sep 04, 2020, 08:46 AM »
Does anyone here use one?  I am recovering from a massive rock hit...I replaced my Raker H.O. prop last night and was delighted that my lower unit is not injured...however I have a nub of a skeg.  Normally I'd avoid bolting one of these on but I'm thinking with this little skeg left it may be a reasonable thing to add.  Would love any thoughts/opinions. 

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
Re: Skeg Guards
« Reply #1 on: Sep 04, 2020, 09:09 AM »
I knocked the skeg off of my Optimax when the Nitro went down on Umbagog years ago, took a bunch of 3 foot rollers over the bow while tied up on the shoreline of our campsite during a nasty storm. I was going to put a new gear case on it but figured I'd slap a skeg guard on it till the following winter so not to have down time... That was 7 or 8 years ago now, still have the same stainless guard over the broken skeg with no issues. 150 bucks for a stainless guard or 1500 on a new gear case, they'll both perform the same...

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
« Reply #2 on: Sep 04, 2020, 09:14 AM »
Also thats an interesting vent setup on that prop... I usually just drill a hole in between each flute and open them up a 1/16" at a time until I'm happy with my holeshot. I'm partial to Stiletto stainless props myself.

Jschumacher

• Fish often. It's a way of life. Life Member NAFC.
« Reply #3 on: Sep 04, 2020, 09:42 AM »
Jon
 I had the same issue last year. I put the skeg guard on and it's been fine.
I fish every chance I get and enjoy every time I fish. They call it fishing not catchin

Member of The GODS

lowaccord66

« Reply #4 on: Sep 04, 2020, 11:14 AM »
Also thats an interesting vent setup on that prop... I usually just drill a hole in between each flute and open them up a 1/16" at a time until I'm happy with my holeshot. I'm partial to Stiletto stainless props myself.

Raker H.O has adjustable holeshot tuning.  The old rakers had 3 pre-drilled holes.  Regardless of how you do it, its great unless you make the holes too large.

Thanks for the feedback guys.  I need to add one. The only issue I had last night was a bit of additional blow out because that skeg nub is making some air bubbles.  I expect once I add the guard I'll be good to go. 

Second question is...skid plate or no?  I'm thinking yes because I am a savage...

SLAYERFISH

« Reply #5 on: Sep 04, 2020, 11:45 AM »
Any good prop shop can repair that skag as easily as reparing a prop. Not as easy as a Skeggard though!

lowaccord66

« Reply #6 on: Sep 04, 2020, 01:21 PM »
Any good prop shop can repair that skag as easily as reparing a prop. Not as easy as a Skeggard though!

Good to know and honestly would be preferred to a bolt on but we lack quality shops of that nature in CT unfortunately.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #7 on: Sep 08, 2020, 08:57 AM »
Good to hear your lower unit is mostly damage free.

lowaccord66

« Reply #8 on: Sep 09, 2020, 08:14 AM »
Good to hear your lower unit is mostly damage free.

Thanks man.  I wouldn't wish a hit like that on anyone.

stripernut

« Reply #9 on: Sep 15, 2020, 08:54 PM »
The only downside I have heard about a Skeg guard (when I use to sell boats) is if you have another big strike you can be sure your lower unit will be gone... Me, I would put the skeg guard on.

lowaccord66

« Reply #10 on: Sep 16, 2020, 02:00 PM »
The only downside I have heard about a Skeg guard (when I use to sell boats) is if you have another big strike you can be sure your lower unit will be gone... Me, I would put the skeg guard on.

I have heard similar stories but not a single one was substantiated.  I can say with certainty that if I have another big strike without one my lower unit will be gone!  To me its inconceivable as the bolts provided would easily sheer. 

stripernut

« Reply #11 on: Sep 16, 2020, 02:11 PM »
As I said;  I would put the skeg guard on.

lowaccord66

« Reply #12 on: Sep 17, 2020, 06:34 AM »
As I said;  I would put the skeg guard on.

I'm going to...right after I replace the starter and solenoid for the second time this season.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #13 on: Sep 17, 2020, 01:02 PM »
I'm going to...right after I replace the starter and solenoid for the second time this season.

What's that all about?

lowaccord66

« Reply #14 on: Sep 17, 2020, 02:30 PM »
What's that all about?

Idk Jethro.  I bought a cheap OE replacement and I think it burned me.  60 bucks vs 240 for the starter.  She's frozen solid, jumping terminals wouldn't spin her!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.