FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Buzzards Bay Trip  (Read 2649 times)

stripernut

Buzzards Bay Trip
« on: Jun 12, 2019, 05:57 AM »
As my father gets older (74 now) his hands are not what they use to be (of course breaking them a few times did not help) so casting for very long is not an option and working up cod and haddock from the depths is no better. Now Sea Bass and fluke and flounder he can handle with a little help and I want to THANK Will (Baitbucket) for the many times that he has come along and done just that, helped keep my father fishing!

Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning we hit Buzzards Bay for some GREAT action, catching countless Sea Bass, platter size scup and a 19" keeper fluke (nice job Will). the weather was as good as it gets and the company was even better!

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
Re: Buzzards Bay Trip
« Reply #1 on: Jun 12, 2019, 07:00 AM »
Nice work. You got on them at the right time because they are now starting to thin out and head to deeper water. Looks like some nice filets there.

lowaccord66

« Reply #2 on: Jun 12, 2019, 08:12 AM »
Nice work men!  Great seabass Will.  Good to see you are getting out.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #3 on: Jun 12, 2019, 08:17 AM »
Nice work guys!
Wicked Wec

westernmas

« Reply #4 on: Jun 12, 2019, 08:20 AM »
Great job guys.  From about 9-2 the wind was brutal in buzzards bay, especially in a kayak.  We found some but mostly shorts.  Glad you guys had better luck!  I'm thinking I may give it another try again this weekend.  Care to share what depths you were finding them?
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Baitbucket

« Reply #5 on: Jun 12, 2019, 08:45 AM »
Man they are a fun fish to catch! So much fight for their size. Thanks again Allan for letting me tag along

I'm thinking I may give it another try again this weekend.  Care to share what depths you were finding them?

We were on Cleveland ledge, anywhere from 20-30ft. They were hitting virtually everything we put down there. Gulp made a bit of a difference, but bare jigs were working as well.

Nice work men!  Great seabass Will.  Good to see you are getting out.

Thanks man, feels good to get out.

westernmas

« Reply #6 on: Jun 12, 2019, 12:02 PM »
Wind is looking even worse for this weekend.  :'(
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Baitbucket

« Reply #7 on: Jun 12, 2019, 02:01 PM »

Ive never fished BB in a yak, but after a couple trips in a boat, i couldnt imagine kayaking there. So many boats, jet skis, etc ripping around. I bet it would be killer to fish from a jet ski.

westernmas

« Reply #8 on: Jun 12, 2019, 02:14 PM »
Ive never fished BB in a yak, but after a couple trips in a boat, i couldnt imagine kayaking there. So many boats, jet skis, etc ripping around. I bet it would be killer to fish from a jet ski.

Boats are really the only concerns.  Had a couple of jetskis come by and slowed down and waved.  Boats on the other hand don't slow down and don't seem to care how close they get.  With a good sit on top kayak like my slayer propel 13 it isn't much of an issue.  Holding a spot or getting a slow enough drift in the wind is much more of a problem.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #9 on: Jun 12, 2019, 02:18 PM »

I second that. A jet ski for a quick in and out trip would be awesome.
Wicked Wec

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #10 on: Jun 12, 2019, 02:18 PM »
Boats are really the only concerns.  Had a couple of jetskis come by and slowed down and waved.  Boats on the other hand don't slow down and don't seem to care how close they get.  With a good sit on top kayak like my slayer propel 13 it isn't much of an issue.  Holding a spot or getting a slow enough drift in the wind is much more of a problem.

I am betting you can deploy a small drift bag to slow you down. I never tried it though.
Wicked Wec

stripernut

« Reply #11 on: Jun 12, 2019, 03:57 PM »
I have used a drift sock on Joppa Flats from a canoe many times, often worked great.

taxid

« Reply #12 on: Jun 12, 2019, 08:42 PM »
Congrats gentlemen! Will is a good man. He took me out fishing on his boat on Quabbin and asked for nothing in return. And I was a complete stranger!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
« Reply #13 on: Jun 12, 2019, 09:01 PM »
Great day guys

lowaccord66

« Reply #14 on: Jun 13, 2019, 09:13 AM »

Been trying to get offshore myself.  My buddy has been getting some nice bluefin.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.