FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Leadcore  (Read 10762 times)

MG39

• No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
Re: Leadcore
« Reply #15 on: Apr 24, 2016, 08:20 PM »
I wish I had stocked up when Uncle Bob told me to. :D
Needless to say Eric, I still have some new spools. ;D
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today, And I Will Trust Tomorrow.
Maybe!
               "Semper Fi"

gamefisher

« Reply #16 on: Apr 25, 2016, 04:59 AM »
Needless to say Eric, I still have some new spools. ;D

Why don't you send a couple of those spools north, might as well throw in those useless Suttons you've been hoarding as well. ;D

Tunker

« Reply #17 on: Apr 25, 2016, 09:27 AM »
I had a problem with the Suffix kinking and was not a big fan.  I'm not sure if they've improved it.  I've been using the Tuf Line micro 15lb and like it.  Seems somewhat fade resistant and is holding up well.  I moved off the Willis knot with the new stuff and use a uni to uni.  Works well.  These advanced lines do sink a lot faster and I get creative withe splicing on certain set ups to ensure in clear water I'm getting enough line behind the boat when only using a color or two (in some cases 1/2).  I used to like the Cortland and Cabelas as it tracked more like fly line but now I find the sheathing dries out quickly and color fades.  Knowing you you'll find a way to finagle some new old stock from someone or walk into a no name convenience store and find in on the wall for $1.99.  I'm not bitter - just jealous.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #18 on: Apr 25, 2016, 10:14 AM »
I use the Cortland 18# because it's cheap. I think you can get it online for less than $20 a spool. Yes, I think the color fades too fast but it's cheap enough that I replace it every other year.

TunkTroller

« Reply #19 on: Apr 25, 2016, 12:12 PM »
Suffix 832 Advanced is great. Far and away a deeper diving core at equal poundage than any other brand. You pay for that depth though at the counter. As Tunker mentioned the regular suffix has some issues. I'm not sure if the plain suffix has worked that out of not.

The cabelas "old stock" everyone loves is just Woodstock in Cableas drag. I can't imagine they rerigged the mills just for special cabelas runs.  So Woodstock you buy now should be the same as the old cabelas. Ive got a few new spools of each and its identical. On the reel preforms identical.. Woodstock is also reasonably priced  I have had good luck with it in the past. The local store sells woodstock mill ends. Spools with only 6 or 7 colors. It's held up great and for the asking price of $4.00 is great for spooling up 3 or 4 cores. Or board cores.

The new Cabelas line is made by Tuffline. So whatever you can buy from Tuffline for leadcore is the same as Cabelas new stuff and vise versa. I've always had trouble with the top color on the spool fading on all cabelas new and old. It doesn't bother me though because I can always see when it breaks to the second. Both dive and handle pretty similar to the woodstock. The Woodstock maybe doesn't bleed out as bad.  Hard to say

Cortland has new 3 color "walleye core" spools. They have done this for awhile but the line changed this year. It was immediately noticeable. I don't know why it's different from the 10 color spools of Cortland or the older walleye cores but it is and it's excellent. It's the closest thing I've seen to the 832 in dive rate. It also maintains its color well. Of all the cores I've tried it seems to be the most kink resistant of all.

The company that produces either bloodrun or morgans copper has come out with a new leadcore that's 10 colors and it uses only the colors red and black. The theory is the color red dissolves the quickest as it achieves depth and black is....well black. Personally I don't think the color of lead is going to scare a fish. That's what leaders for but the companies make excellent products. If the lead is as good as copper it should be top notch. A friend in Michigan sent me a spool. Haven't tested yet as it has not arrived

Best bang for buck: woodstock aka old cabelas
Best performance : 832
Best all around: Cortland walleye (dives darn close to 832 for less money )
Subject to change upon review of the new stuff

Side note: woodstock produces 100 pound test lead core.  The mill end spools are only a few bucks and work great for sinking weight if you just cut them in desired sections and twist around main line

gamefisher

« Reply #20 on: Apr 25, 2016, 01:56 PM »
Thanks for the info. guys.  Ironically, the on line reviews of the suffix advanced are quite poor, definitely value the opinion of Maine guys that actually fish and use. 8)

shrinkage

• I Fish Therefore I Am
« Reply #21 on: Apr 25, 2016, 04:17 PM »
Don't be afraid to email the manufacturer. After reading many online reviews, I had some questions about different lines. Many reviews online may be dated anyway so i fired away some questions before i spent the money.
 I got some honest responses and some feedback about improvements others just blah, blah. Tuf line answered my question specifically and went even further by asking if I wanted to try a sample. I emailed her back and said yes, of course. 3 days later I got a hat and a 100yds of micro 18#. Not saying that its the best line but when a mfg is willing to put their product where their mouth is...I've used it 3x and it feels strong, with the smaller diameter the difference in drag  is very noticeable. Feels great on the hookset. The colors are bright and no bleed so far which was one of the consistent although older reviews.
I use and have used various leadcore without any issues, the spool I replaced was years old but was fine but for getting a little shorter over the years and a few nicks in the braid. But it was nice to get some new stuff.

And what the hell a somewhat northern Salmon from the windy weekend!

gamefisher

« Reply #22 on: Apr 25, 2016, 07:05 PM »
Thanks Shrinkage, I have the first generation tuff line micro lead on there now, like I said not terrible by any means, just always looking for better.  Maybe the newer versions are even better. :-\

fishsluggos

« Reply #23 on: Apr 25, 2016, 08:19 PM »
Suffix 832 Advanced is great. Far and away a deeper diving core at equal poundage than any other brand. You pay for that depth though at the counter. As Tunker mentioned the regular suffix has some issues. I'm not sure if the plain suffix has worked that out of not.

The cabelas "old stock" everyone loves is just Woodstock in Cableas drag. I can't imagine they rerigged the mills just for special cabelas runs.  So Woodstock you buy now should be the same as the old cabelas. Ive got a few new spools of each and its identical. On the reel preforms identical.. Woodstock is also reasonably priced  I have had good luck with it in the past. The local store sells woodstock mill ends. Spools with only 6 or 7 colors. It's held up great and for the asking price of $4.00 is great for spooling up 3 or 4 cores. Or board cores.

The new Cabelas line is made by Tuffline. So whatever you can buy from Tuffline for leadcore is the same as Cabelas new stuff and vise versa. I've always had trouble with the top color on the spool fading on all cabelas new and old. It doesn't bother me though because I can always see when it breaks to the second. Both dive and handle pretty similar to the woodstock. The Woodstock maybe doesn't bleed out as bad.  Hard to say

Cortland has new 3 color "walleye core" spools. They have done this for awhile but the line changed this year. It was immediately noticeable. I don't know why it's different from the 10 color spools of Cortland or the older walleye cores but it is and it's excellent. It's the closest thing I've seen to the 832 in dive rate. It also maintains its color well. Of all the cores I've tried it seems to be the most kink resistant of all.

The company that produces either bloodrun or morgans copper has come out with a new leadcore that's 10 colors and it uses only the colors red and black. The theory is the color red dissolves the quickest as it achieves depth and black is....well black. Personally I don't think the color of lead is going to scare a fish. That's what leaders for but the companies make excellent products. If the lead is as good as copper it should be top notch. A friend in Michigan sent me a spool. Haven't tested yet as it has not arrived

Best bang for buck: woodstock aka old cabelas
Best performance : 832
Best all around: Cortland walleye (dives darn close to 832 for less money )
Subject to change upon review of the new stuff

Side note: woodstock produces 100 pound test lead core.  The mill end spools are only a few bucks and work great for sinking weight if you just cut them in desired sections and twist around main line

Hey Everett, trying to send you a PM but your inbox is full.

Never mind I sent you an email.

tight lines,
sul

Browntroutboy

« Reply #24 on: Apr 25, 2016, 09:34 PM »
I'm running the new cabelas lead 27# and it is junk compared to the old stuff, never had lead kink and break out of the coating as much as this, going to try that Woodstock brand.

fishlessman

« Reply #25 on: Apr 26, 2016, 07:20 AM »
tried some of the micro stuff a few years ago and hated it, went back to 18 pound kerplunk

gamefisher

« Reply #26 on: Apr 26, 2016, 09:06 AM »
tried some of the micro stuff a few years ago and hated it, went back to 18 pound kerplunk

I thought Cortland kerplunk was no longer being made?  Fleabay?

fishlessman

« Reply #27 on: Apr 26, 2016, 09:49 AM »
I thought kerplunk was out of business?  Fleabay?

i bought 20 three color end sections years ago from kittery for cheap, my boat is setup for along time ;D i keep watching these lead core threads hoping someday some company gets it right. three colors is all i fish anymore. i do see some on ebay, just not the 18

duck

« Reply #28 on: Apr 26, 2016, 09:53 AM »
I wish I had stocked up when Uncle Bob told me to. :D

I did!!! However, I'm not ready to part with any just yet!! ;D
"Born to fish...forced to work!!"

ragfly

« Reply #29 on: Apr 27, 2016, 09:11 AM »
I just saw a Penn 309 with 200yds of leadcore line for sale on Craig's list for $60.  I looks in great shape

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.