FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Discussion on Fishing for Bedding Bass  (Read 5423 times)

Mackdaddy21

Re: Discussion on Fishing for Bedding Bass
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2004, 06:00 PM »
Bass can be very abundant in some lakes, and not so abundant in others. Generally, as long as you catch and release bedding bass, there is no effect on the population or sucess of the spawn.
Actually most scientific studies on fisheries are largely dependant on the prior opinions of fisheries managers. Generally they hate to admit they are wrong, so if the study turns out to prove them wrong, they will fake the statistics.
Here in Colorado, in some rivers, bass are being relocated or slaughtered by the US Fish and Wildlife and Colorado Division Of Wildlife to supposedly protect native suckers. It's sad because independant research and angler catches show that the native fish outnumber game fish at least 5 to 1.

Tyler

Colorado_Ice

• Mmm, Mmm, Good!
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2004, 04:38 AM »
Largemouth bass were introduced in Colorado in 1878, smallmouth in 1951. Bass are known for their aggressive predatory behavior (which is why I like to catch 'em ;D). Since they tend to eat about anything that moves, it's no wonder to me that attempts are being made to removed them from _some_ watersheds in the state.

The Colorado Department of Wildlife (http://wildlife.state.co.us/fishing) wants to remove these non-native species from some waters in an effort restore/increase the populations of the endangered and protected species like the greenback cutthroat trout, the bonytail chub and the Arkansas darter as well as the Colorado pikeminnow, humpback chub and razorback sucker. There are, however and will continue to be, plenty of bass and places to catch them in Colorado.

Now I'm not a big fan of governmental agencies and I realize this policy may not be popular with some residents. But I don't think the restoration of native species to their historical waters is a bad idea and remember, I love to bass fish too. :) Also we can fish any and all days of the year here in both warm and cold water for a variety of species. :D

Disclaimer: I have no relationship with the Colorado DOW other than paying my state income, sales and property taxes. ;) Resident since 1959, your mileage may vary.  :o

chrisfrank

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2004, 07:39 PM »
I agree with colorado ice on that one.  If the bass are truly harming the native wildlife then they should be removed, or at least have their numbers decreased.  I have nothing against stocking or keeping a non-native species in a body of water unless it harms the native species.  Remember, once a species is gone from an area, it is very hard to bring it back, sometimes impossible.  As far as game fish outnumbering the bass 5:1, those are not good odds for the native fish.  Imagine how fast a large bass could eat 5 smaller fish...

kerosenecounty17

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2004, 06:42 PM »
I agree with much of what's been said.  However, alot of you are talking C&R.  Where it's law, that's fine, but here in WI it's optional.  I'd C&R.  Most people here would C&R.  But, in my experience, we're the exception not the rule.  I think we'd all agree that a fish is most vulnerable when it's spawning, and really not all that difficult to catch.  Given the option, there are many people that will take advantage of the situation if given an option.  Where they're a problem fish, get rid of them by any means necessary.  Spears, arrows, nets, whatever.  But where they're native and not harmful to the system, leave them alone.

kero

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2004, 12:31 AM »
Some commentary (from me) about the article that I posted, bringing up a few of the points as well:

My feeling is that Man (as a species) tends to think that they are this all powerful destructor, that some day we will doom all life on earth as well as the earth itself simply by our egotistical, abusive, wasteful, and neglectful lifestyle.  Sorry folks, we just aren't quite that good.  If we did something to cause a mass instinction, including ourselves, life would find a way to survive.  It may take millions of years, but it would survive.  Why do I mention this?

Well, we just aren't as good as we think we are with the fishin' poles too.  I don't care if we all kept our legal limits of bass even during spawning season, the bass will survive (I'm talking about your average bass lake, not one with population problems to begin with).  Like the article said, all it takes is one successful nest to populate a lake.  Millions of fry are produced even in a small pond.  Small fragile bodies of water my need special protection, but not the bigger productive waters.  Not only that, for every nest that we can "sight fish" over, there are 10 that we can't see that may be slightly deeper or in cover. 

I think the opposite problem exists with bass in many regions of the country, that they are actually under harvested and underfished even with the huge numbers of bass anglers across the country.  Catch and release has resulted in more bass in the nation than ever before.  Great.  But, also, it can cause over population problems.  People should harvest some fish, particularly the smaller fish when legal, especially in lakes where bass populations are stunted and numbers of dinks are high.  So it does baffle me that the states are putting this blanket regulation in effect when each lake should be managed for the population of each game species separately when possible.  Many states practice this, like MD, PA, VA and WVA, successfully.  Anyway, I just wanted to add some fuel to the fire... ;D

Like I said, I promote catch, photo, and release of most gamefish.  And, although I disagree with NY's law about not being able to target bass out of season for C&R, I do agree with bag limits, special regulations, and the reasons they are implemented because most of those regs are based on electroshock sampling and other scientific data.   That NY law is based on what?  An opinion...or perhaps "feelings" and humanizing fish... Come on...gimme a break!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.