FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Discussion on Fishing for Bedding Bass  (Read 5415 times)

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
Discussion on Fishing for Bedding Bass
« on: May 07, 2004, 05:10 PM »
Zach's nice bass pic got me thinking about this topic and it could lead to some interesting discussion.  When all is said and done, perhaps we can all learn something, including me ;)!

Many states have different regs regarding bass closed seasons, etc.  In PA, you can target out of season bass, just can't target bedding bass and all bass caught must be carefully and immediately released.  Maryland simply states that you can't posess out of season bass, nothing about targeting them. 

There has been much debate on many web sites, fishing shows, and magazines across the nation regarding the targeting of bedding bass.  Some Southern states have studied this and concluded that it does NOT affect the population adversely... and many of those states don't have a closed season.  I'm sure that some of the other states up North have studied this as well and may have conflicting views.  And, although we all may have different opinions on this subject that affect our fishing ethics, keep in mind that not all scientific studies to date agree with the popular opinion on this subject, nor does it necessarily agree with the reasoning behind many of these regulations or those opinions of the various DNR agencies.  I'll do some research and post the links to my findings on what I'm referring to in the future (mostly this is from my memory, but keep in mind I ain't gettin' any younger, so I reserve the right to recant my statements, LOL.  In the mean time, gimme some time to research). 

Regardless, we have to abide by the law in whatever state that we fish.  My whole point of this comment isn't to be careful as to not be so quick to judge someones fishing ethics based on a picture because the laws that apply to you may not apply to that person and their state.

If anyone posts links to these studies before I get to it, thanks!

In the mean time, let's hear your comments!  I can't wait for what Cider has to say on this!!!! :D

TroutFishingBear

Re: Discussion on Fishing for Bedding Bass
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2004, 05:35 PM »
since the Colorado Division of Wildlife is completely retarded, the encourage keeping and killing bedding bass, pike, walleye, etc. Any fish except stupid squawfish and chubs, which they are removing gamefish for.  I wish colorado had decent rules and a competent division of wildlife like obviously exists where you guys live!

fishercat

• hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2004, 06:11 PM »
We (wife and I) fish for bedding bass.  Anything and everything we catch is immediately released.  If it doesn't want to bite, we don't sit there and harrass them either.  If they don't want to bite - fine, move on.  There are also times when we leave them be and fish for other species/active fish.  My largest smallmouth to date came from a bed (5.1 oz).  It was caught on a pushbutton reel and an ultralite pole with 2 lb test set up for bluegills.  It had a 1/64oz crappie jig.  That fish was sittin on the bed and I couldn't refuse - that was the closest pole I had next to me on the boat.  ;D ;D
I fish for those "stupid fish" BASS. Largemouth Smallmouth Stripers, and even Rock bass.

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2004, 08:05 PM »
I totally agree, like I said earlier, I love throwing bitsy bugs w/ Zoom swimmy tails for SMB & LMB on beds and structure and all my bass are released after a smile and a snapshot. I think most all serious fisherman have great ethics, and we all know it is the hand full that give us all bad reps. I'm all for Fish on! any time most all go back anyway.
And yes this opens should I say a bucket of worms.
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

chrisfrank

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2004, 08:30 PM »
Whats the deal with the Colorado Division of Wildlife removing them?   Are the gamefish not native there?

eyedoktr

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2004, 11:10 AM »
As far as I'm concerned, go ahead and fish for bass on beds. In fact, please keep all the bass you catch. There are so many in most of the NY lakes that they are a nuisance. They have taken over too much good water IMO. It's not uncommon on Honeoye Lake to go after walleye and end up catching 20 or more green carp for each walleye you catch.
Pete Lewis

Mr.Seaguar

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2004, 11:09 PM »
you cant put a blanket answer to this. Like eyedoktr says some lakes are overrun with bass so it wont affect the population. Othar lakes need more top end predators so bass should be left alone. Its tough for lay people to know which a lake might be. I would suggest just leaving them alone. Also, the poor things are so tired they barely pull back anyway. Anybody ever notice that besides me?

got em

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2004, 09:28 AM »
 >:( bass season is closed this time of year in new york,sounds like you are targeting them with them senkos... >:( >:( >:( wait till the season opens..

ChenBassHead

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Bandito Strikes Again!
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2004, 10:40 AM »
Okay, I'm sorry if I offeneded anyone. I realize that bass aren't in season, and I'm very sorry. These bass were NOT on their spawning beds. They are in the pre-spawn period right now. They were getting ready to make their way onto the beds within the next week or so, as the temps finally stay warm, on a daily basis. These bass were in deeper water. I know where they spawn, because I've seen them spawning before! THis area was adjacent to the spawning area. What the fish do is gather at the bottom end of this steep drop off, on a small flat, in about 10-12 FOW. Then, as the water temps rise into the low-60's, they make their way up the drop off, to a sandy area, which is about 2-4 feet deep. They gather in the cat tails and establish their beds there. I don't site fish for bass. I don't think that pulling a bass off it's bed is right. Honestly, with the 7#er, I wasn't even fishing for bass in particular. I was fishing for whatever wanted to hit my jig. It was a small jig, and I've caught gills, perch, rockies, and bass on these jigs before. Alright, I was curious the next day, and through out the senko, trying to see how aggresive the bass were. Like I said, I'm sorry, what I did was wrong, and I didn't intened on offending anyone.

-Zach

nehusker13

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2004, 11:00 AM »
hmmm...  I believe here when you catch a fish out of season that means you have to put it back right away. I think, and I may be wrong ... You didnt offend me at all Chen, and I would have probably done the same thing. Personally every bass I catch goes back, don't like their taste, but they are so much fun to catch!! Dont know the laws there in NY, but in my opinion you did nothing wrong... next time don't tell, save the pics for opening day... :-X

Jigwiggler

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2004, 01:41 PM »
Zach,

You released the fish unharmed right?  Then you did nothing wrong!  Catch em' when they are biting and pre-spawn is a great time to fish.  I don't fish for bass on beds but I don't have a problem with it if the fish is immediately released and is unharmed.  Most likely anyone that gives you a hard time about this is jealous of your catch, and a darn nice one it was!!  My kids caught 7 bass from 15-19" the other night while they were catching perch (not one close to yours though :-\ ).  This is a great time of year to fish, take kids fishing and introduce new people to the sport.  The fish are relatively shallow and accesible now, not to mention eager to bite.  Now go get em' and I want to see an 8lber in your next pics!
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2004, 03:18 PM »
>:( bass season is closed this time of year in new york,sounds like you are targeting them with them senkos... >:( >:( >:( wait till the season opens..

Zach, feel free to come down to Maryland and target all the bass that you want.  We don't have such a rediculous regulation.  During our closed season, you must release any bass that you catch, that's simple enough.  If you fish our tidal waters, you can keep 5 bass but each must be over 15" even during the freshwater closed season.  And if you fish in NY, don't get a ticket.  The bass will survive, don't worry about it.  Fish for chain pickerel...  ;)

Personally, I catch and release all of my bass no matter when I fish for them.  I have targeted bedding bass in the past and every one that I've caught went right back to the bed when released.  I haven't done it in years for various reasons.  I think that people make too big a deal over it, including regulatory agencies.  There's been many a tournament won by "sight" fishing for bass, and many state records, across the nation.  I'll do some research tomorrow morning when I have a faster connection and post my findings to support my statements.  I'll also post results of any conflicting studies that I might find.

By the way, I've caught a multitude of species on a senko in addition to bass:  muskie, Northern pike, chain pickerel, walleye, lake trout, brown trout, rainbow trout, freshwater drum, rock bass, crappie, red breast sunfish, bluegill, striped bass, yellow perch, white perch, channel catfish, sea trout and bluefish.  Yes, it is true that bass go nuts over them, but, they do catch other species - often.  The toothy critters in the pike family find them irresistable.

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2004, 01:32 AM »
One more thing about the NY law about bass season, that you aren't even supposed to C&R for them, it's not like they are endangered or threatened.  We had a similar law in MD for stripers in the Chesapeake Bay and it's watershed but they were considered threatened.  The law was justified.  Now, they have limited seasons.  In the tributaries during the spring spawning runs, you can target them, C&R only.  And, the striped bass population is much better, but far from the LM or SM bass populations in NY.

I really don't understand that law at all.  Every bass angler in NY should protest that one, even to be comparable with PA's law, which, like I said above, permits targeting bass but not bass on their beds.  I personally have a problem with that law too, but at least it doesn't prohibit fishing for them.  Anglers should let their DNR know how they feel.  Bombard them with e-mail, show up at DNR public hearings, and let your voice be heard.  They have the NY angling population fooled that somehow these bass need this kind of protection and that the bass fishery is in trouble.  NOT!

Chucker

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2004, 05:11 PM »
The exact verbage of the NYS state regulation can be found here

Note that it is NOT specific to bass.

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2004, 10:59 AM »
Here is an interesting article on the subject.  I suggest that everyone read this.  Maybe the NY DNR should check it out as well.  Like I said earlier, science does not necessarily agree with the popular opinion of the way things should be in general:

http://espn.go.com/outdoors/conservation/s/f_fea_bass_ethics.html

Regarding the NY law, it is not specific to bass.  It basically states that if there is a closed season, you're legally not allowed to target them.  What the DNR needs is to reclassify the bass season, not close it at all, and make it catch and release for the same time period.  Special regulations or closures for specific bodies of water where bass populations are in trouble would make more sense.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.