FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Planner Boards  (Read 1502 times)

hamadog

Planner Boards
« on: Apr 02, 2007, 08:13 AM »
I've had some Big Jon planner boards for a few years now. My problem is at slow troll one board doesn't seem to travel out very far and ends up too far behind the boat encroaching on my rear rods when turning. I made a aluminum radar arch to mount the reels to replace the single pole because it seemed too flimsy. I realize the pulleys are Little far back but are there some other boards that will travel out easier or do I have to live with what I have.

NH piker

Re: Planner Boards
« Reply #1 on: Apr 02, 2007, 04:36 PM »
I don't know anything about planner board fishing other than that when I went with two separate people who did use them they had there rod with the real set in the very front middle of the boat , where the front pedestal seat would go.

Slimechaser

• A sconni lawn ornament.
« Reply #2 on: Apr 02, 2007, 04:46 PM »
Good news is yes, but bad news is I can't think of brand names at the moment.

Here, we can get tripple boards that seem to run pretty good at all speeds, they are collapsable too, for storage, nice feature. I, my self, favor the OTTER boats. Not like any boards, actually boats with keels, work awesome at any speed. Pricey though, I think one otter runs nearly 100 clams.

Your problem is one I ran into too. I never really solved it. But I did lesson it. I weighted the outside boards to the point of almost tipping over when not tied on and under way. Used 12 oz of lead on each board, it helped, but I still had problems. You may want to raise the wheels as high as you can go too, would have basically the same effect when underway.

Let us know how it goes! Good luck!
Rockbass - not just another pretty fish!
Got nymph?         I do!

thefinlessbrown

« Reply #3 on: Apr 02, 2007, 08:56 PM »
hamadog i've only fished boards a couple times but it sounds that you have to move your point of connection on your board further toward the back of the board to angle it out more ?? gl
set the drag ya never know !!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.