FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: anyone fish out of a kayak?  (Read 4452 times)

NYSporty

Re: anyone fish out of a kayak?
« Reply #30 on: Mar 29, 2012, 07:14 AM »
I'm looking at yaks now I want to be able to fish stretches of the river that I cant get my boat to.
I also fish alone allot and launching and loading in the current is a pain.
I'm looking at the Riot Kayaks Escape 12 Angler Sit-On-Top Fishing Kayak. I will also be adding a 50# trolling motor to help go up stream. ;D

NateFishNY

« Reply #31 on: Mar 29, 2012, 09:43 AM »
going to give it a shot this year

fishmaster13184

« Reply #32 on: Mar 29, 2012, 05:00 PM »
Anyone ever use a ice fishing flasher off the kayak i was thinking about it

Mbart

« Reply #33 on: Mar 29, 2012, 07:05 PM »
Use my flasher in my row boat, open water ice fishing for crappies and gills. Thinking about trying it for LG perch in my kayak, want to purchase  breathable waders, boots, and a dry top before paddling to winter gps spots.

Irish Jigger

« Reply #34 on: Mar 29, 2012, 07:26 PM »
I used mine jigging perch  off a friends boat on Lake Erie in 50+ft of water last fall and it worked great, 38 fish in 4hrs.

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #35 on: Mar 29, 2012, 09:51 PM »
Kayak fish out of a Perception Pescador 12.0 sit on top, rigged my kayak with a Scotty rod holder, Humminbird P Max 170 fish finder, a milkcrate in the tankwell holds extra rods, gear, homemade stern light. Theres a lot of information on kayaks @ kayakbassfishing.com or kayakfishingstuff.com., also a kayak fishing show starts 3/30/12 on NBC Sports Network @ 1:00 pm.

I've got dang near the exact setup you do. Once I find my pics I'll post them

Goatskin

« Reply #36 on: Mar 29, 2012, 10:06 PM »
There is landlock salmon stock in many lakes around here. The the season for trout and salmon on some of those lakes is open all year.
Oh sorry I had no idea they were stocked there. I live about 45 minutes away near Potsdam and Ive never seen any waters in the books that were stocked with salmon, or open to trout all year.

NYSporty

« Reply #37 on: Mar 30, 2012, 06:27 AM »
Anyone ever use a ice fishing flasher off the kayak i was thinking about it

I use my x67 in my 14ft aluminum boat it leaks so there is always water in the boat I just set the ducer in the water on the floor of the boat works great always shoots straight down.
When I get my yak I plan to epoxy a piec of threaded pvc to the floor in front of the yak.
Get a cap with a hole in the top to keep the water from splashing out.
Then fill it with water, toss the ducer in the cup and set the pack between my legs that will keep my unit 100% portable,protected and no need to buy another transducer.

MoreTroutPls

« Reply #38 on: Mar 30, 2012, 07:08 AM »
Ice fishing transducers will shoot right through canoe and kayak hulls as long as there are no air bubbles in the hull.  Just dip the transducer in the water and set it on the bottom of the hull.  As long as the inner hull surface is smooth and there is no air gap, it should shoot right through.  You might have to dip the transducer from time to time to keep it wet.  You can also put the transducer and some water in a plastic baggie and set that on the bottom.  Wrap an elastic band around the transducer to hold the water in the baggie to keep the transducer wet.
Everyone believes in something.  I believe I'll go fishing.

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #39 on: Mar 31, 2012, 11:05 PM »
Ice fishing transducers will shoot right through canoe and kayak hulls as long as there are no air bubbles in the hull.  Just dip the transducer in the water and set it on the bottom of the hull.  As long as the inner hull surface is smooth and there is no air gap, it should shoot right through.  You might have to dip the transducer from time to time to keep it wet.  You can also put the transducer and some water in a plastic baggie and set that on the bottom.  Wrap an elastic band around the transducer to hold the water in the baggie to keep the transducer wet.

A 400 watt or better unit works best from my readings If ya wanna do that, but we all know that they are way more defined when in the H2O.

kb

« Reply #40 on: Apr 01, 2012, 05:03 AM »
I have a Hobie Revolution, and its been the best Ive come across so far.  Its comfy, fast when I want it to be, handles current, wind, and chop pretty good.  Its a mostly dry ride unless your launching in the surf, and peddling is so much more efficient in adverse conditions than paddling.  I fish in Long Island Sound, Hudson river, out of Montauk, and several local lakes.  If anyone wants to 'hook up', drop me a line.  The striper run is coming up!

Life isn't about just surviving a storm, but learning to dance in the rain.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.