FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 512828 times)

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #4275 on: Jun 20, 2021, 06:57 AM »
You guys are killing it..  Nice job.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Perch-Pirate

« Reply #4276 on: Jun 20, 2021, 08:08 AM »
I’ll plant some more radishes today. I’ve got spinach going in the trough planter as well? I fenced the rabbits out last year. Had 2 living in the gardens although they didn’t do any damage.

Which radish variety do you plant for warmer weather? The early scarlet globes will bolt if it gets too warm. I was thinking of switching to Champions. They’re a bit stronger and smaller than the globes.

Rg
Bob,
These are cherry-belles, but this will be our last batch before cooler weather. We try to keep them in the shade and it seems to work for now.
Found this, may try and order some…
Daikon Minowase, 60 day maturity, for possible planting in late spring rather than summer. Watermelon, 60 day maturity, a radish with pink flesh and the same planting strategy.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4277 on: Jun 20, 2021, 08:40 AM »
Thanks! I was thinking about trying to shade the trough planter, but, heat is heat.

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4278 on: Jul 05, 2021, 09:28 AM »
Things are growing good….

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4279 on: Jul 05, 2021, 10:04 AM »
Looks great as usual Dom.

I’m battling the yearly onslaught of Japanese Beetles and slugs. Gave the asparagus and clematis  a hefty treatment of Malathion yesterday. They were zeroed in on both. Seems to have deterred them for a while.

Added another beetle  trap this morning. That makes 3.

Slugs have been after my potatoes and hostas. Used what bait I had on the hostas last week. Picked up some more this morning. Still have to sprinkle some diatomaceous earth around. It works, but washes away with the rain.

Everything else is growing up just fine.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

taxid

« Reply #4280 on: Jul 05, 2021, 10:58 AM »
Garden is humming along nicely. Had a small issue with ants but a little Sevin dust took care of them. Rabbits are driving me crazy and are a constant battle. The d**n local fox went and got hit by a car and the rabbits are taking over. Have more fencing this year than I ever did in the past. Most years I didn’t use any. Wife is against the pellet gun, but if they get her sunflowers again I think she will be on board.

There's an up cycle in rabbits this year in my area. Haven't bothered my garden --- yet.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

fishinator

« Reply #4281 on: Jul 05, 2021, 01:52 PM »

I’m battling the yearly onslaught of Japanese Beetles and slugs. Gave the asparagus and clematis  a hefty treatment of Malathion yesterday. They were zeroed in on both. Seems to have deterred them for a while.

Slugs have been after my potatoes and hostas. Used what bait I had on the hostas last week. Picked up some more this morning. Still have to sprinkle some diatomaceous earth around. It works, but washes away with the rain.

Rg
Japanese beetles attact my asparagus every year. They don't touch any of my other garden plants or flowers so I just leave them be. They have no effect on my asparagus.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4282 on: Jul 05, 2021, 03:29 PM »
They don’t really hurt the asparagus, but, they piss me off to the point of attack. Actually found one on my Garlic yesterday. Thats grounds for a declaration of war! No bug messes with my garlic!

Rg

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #4283 on: Jul 06, 2021, 10:14 AM »

Rg

Not really garden related, as it has had an impact on my entire property. I have been blessed with the invasion of the gypsy mouth caterpillars. What an absolute mess it’s been for almost 2 months now. Phase two is upon us, moths EVERYWHERE

gotagetm

« Reply #4284 on: Jul 06, 2021, 10:47 AM »

Started some climbing beans and peas for fall gonna put along my chain link fence around lawn and started Basil also
Gonna start saving water I bleed my walleye out on lake Erie for plants

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4285 on: Jul 06, 2021, 11:02 AM »
Haven’t seen any quantity of gypsy moths in our area in a while. There was a trapping program several years ago. I don’t know for sure who put up the traps but they were everywhere. Some sort of cardboard pyramid shaped thing as I recall.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4286 on: Jul 06, 2021, 11:12 AM »
There’s some sort of sticky band you can make to wrap around a tree trunk that catches them before they get to devouring its leaves. You can probably find something with a quick search.

Rg

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #4287 on: Jul 06, 2021, 11:53 AM »
There’s some sort of sticky band you can make to wrap around a tree trunk that catches them before they get to devouring its leaves. You can probably find something with a quick search.

Rg

We ended up going the duck tape route. Trees look like they feared aliens but seemed to reduce the amounts of chewed up leaves and feces falling to the ground.

Noticed last night at the fire pit that they bats sure love motha!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4288 on: Jul 06, 2021, 05:37 PM »
Gotta love bats.

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4289 on: Jul 07, 2021, 04:48 AM »
There’s a hillside across the valley called oak hill. Full of oak trees.. It’s bare from the tent caterpillars. I will try and get a picture of it..  Hasn’t happened in 4 or 5 years .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.