FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD...  (Read 1472134 times)

scout57

Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2015
« Reply #75 on: Sep 08, 2015, 12:39 PM »
gobies are becoming a real pain in the butt.......looked for some perch myself this morning......a half dozen for dinner was all I could find........just food for thought, gobies hit crabs, minnows and worms.......only gonna get worse I'm afraid.......hit a spot out on the shoals that was loaded with 5" - 8" eyes...had to move ......gobies were mixed in with them too.......crazy stuff.......saw some huge balls of shad also

fishhooksul

• Live to fish...
« Reply #76 on: Sep 08, 2015, 03:39 PM »
gobies are becoming a real pain in the butt.......looked for some perch myself this morning......a half dozen for dinner was all I could find........just food for thought, gobies hit crabs, minnows and worms.......only gonna get worse I'm afraid.......hit a spot out on the shoals that was loaded with 5" - 8" eyes...had to move ......gobies were mixed in with them too.......crazy stuff.......saw some huge balls of shad also
hey Scout.   How far off the bottom are you ? Stay 1 1/2 to 2 ft. of the bottom, and the gobbies shouldn't bother the bait. they are taking over the lake. it's going to change the lake as we know it.   Sully...

coachwarner

« Reply #77 on: Sep 08, 2015, 06:46 PM »
THEM      ING GOBIES!!!!

“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”

UglyStik

« Reply #78 on: Sep 08, 2015, 06:50 PM »
I wonder if stocking a predator of theirs like maybe more tigers or something could turn it around. I realize that the eyes, bass perch and most others eat them to some extent, but is there something that would really put a dent in the population?

Chowdaire

« Reply #79 on: Sep 08, 2015, 07:01 PM »
Sturgeon are bottom feeders. Maybe they'll learn to go around and Hoover those little buggers up.

Deadeyez

• Oneida Lake Diehard
« Reply #80 on: Sep 08, 2015, 07:30 PM »
I def think they are going to change the way we fish. It's going to be interesting through the ice as well  :-\
Nice job findin em

filetandrelease

« Reply #81 on: Sep 08, 2015, 07:31 PM »
They breed faster than they can be consumed , we all ready have a lake full of predators , bass , perch , pickerel , drum , few northern and walleyes , whites (perch&bass) oh lets not forget burbot and bowfin , these things happened in Erie and they seem to catch eyes and perch ok jmo and I say ney to tigers

jperch

« Reply #82 on: Sep 08, 2015, 08:05 PM »
For what it's worth, when I SCUBA dive up in the St. Lawrence I see gobies on any flat rocky horizontal surface.  You don't see them on the silty soft bottom areas.  So I would expect that on Oneida the gobies will be bait stealing PIAs on the shoals but not so much on the mud flats and weed beds.  The other day I went snorkeling in Lake Ontario near Oswego, in less than 10 feet of water.  There was no bass or pan fish, just gobies.  jperch

UglyStik

« Reply #83 on: Sep 08, 2015, 08:10 PM »

reeleyz

« Reply #84 on: Sep 09, 2015, 05:07 AM »
Good info jperch. Gobies favorite food is mussels. So any rocky or pancake bottom is probably where the gobies will be because that is where the mussels are.

From mcully's report they are even hitting jigging raps? Definitely might need to up size the bait a bit this winter.

It will all work itself out. Hopefully it will help get the perch numbers back up where they used to be.

mcully

« Reply #85 on: Sep 09, 2015, 06:18 AM »
I snagged a half dozen on the blade but they were hitting the small rap. The perch caught were all stuffed with and coughing up mussels too. I know from fishing lake Ontario the higher drop shot came into play more than dragging tubes on bottom to stay above the gobie comfort zone. J how fast do they move on the bottom when you see them snorkeling? Would think easy prey by shear numbers and possibly speed. Very soft body.

filetandrelease

« Reply #86 on: Sep 09, 2015, 06:26 AM »
They are in the weeds also , I speared a few jigging buck-tails

Deadeyez

• Oneida Lake Diehard
« Reply #87 on: Sep 09, 2015, 07:02 AM »
Good info jperch. Gobies favorite food is mussels. So any rocky or pancake bottom is probably where the gobies will be because that is where the mussels are.

From mcully's report they are even hitting jigging raps? Definitely might need to up size the bait a bit this winter.

It will all work itself out. Hopefully it will help get the perch numbers back up where they used to be.
Bruce, I heard they feed pretty heavily on fish eggs. Any truth to this?
Nice job findin em

Cheeks13

• Big Eye!
« Reply #88 on: Sep 09, 2015, 07:16 AM »
I thought they did too. 8)

reeleyz

« Reply #89 on: Sep 09, 2015, 07:19 AM »
Bruce, I heard they feed pretty heavily on fish eggs. Any truth to this?

I have heard the same thing. I think they hit the sunfish and bass beds pretty hard. It could be bad news for the sunnies and bluegills.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.