FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Deep Cycle battery recommendation?  (Read 5887 times)

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
Re: Deep Cycle battery recommendation?
« Reply #15 on: Apr 16, 2020, 03:08 PM »
There is also an Interstate factory storefront in Nashua, or Merrimack, on 3A, just South of Campers Inn. I had to get one of my 3 batteries there because Greens only had 2. Oddly enough the factory store was 20 bucks more expensive. I bought them on the day the Gov. shut everything down. Greens said they were closing for the duration. So I panicked and went to Nashua to get that 3rd group 31 battery!

Course now I think stores are open mostly, haven't called Greens Marine, I spent way too much already this Spring. The Interstate Store is definitely open, just have to call and process for curbside pickup.

Steve H.

« Reply #16 on: Apr 17, 2020, 07:54 AM »
Thanks Jethro.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

Steve H.

« Reply #17 on: Apr 17, 2020, 07:56 AM »
i use interstates as well ..I get mine at senters in plaistow ..Milford marine has them as well..not sure where you are located but just do a google search for a dealer near you

Thanks Jibbs.  Plaistow is much closer to me than Hooksett or Milford.  I'll check around for something even closer.  Good to know.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

lowaccord66

« Reply #18 on: Apr 17, 2020, 07:58 AM »
You guys like the flooded lead?  I am not in favor of having to add distilled water to 4 batteries so I stuck to sealed on the bass boat.  My trolling rig has 4 flooded lead.  They probably need distilled water. Wouldn't mind that flooded lead price though.

westernmas

« Reply #19 on: Apr 17, 2020, 08:41 AM »
Aren't you all missing a completely new style of battery?  I'm VERY new to the electronics game but isn't there a LifePO4 style lithium batteries on the market that can draw a much more consistent amount of power through the life of the battery, weigh less than half of the lead acid batteries and have a longer shelf life?  They come at a very steep price but I recently ponied up the cash for one since I want my setup to be as portable as possible.  Unfortunately in the situation we are in I can't get the thing until May.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Steve H.

« Reply #20 on: Apr 17, 2020, 09:01 AM »
Aren't you all missing a completely new style of battery?  I'm VERY new to the electronics game but isn't there a LifePO4 style lithium batteries on the market that can draw a much more consistent amount of power through the life of the battery, weigh less than half of the lead acid batteries and have a longer shelf life?  They come at a very steep price but I recently ponied up the cash for one since I want my setup to be as portable as possible.  Unfortunately in the situation we are in I can't get the thing until May.

My buddy got one for his yak.  $800.  Too steep for me.

Mac Attack

« Reply #21 on: Apr 17, 2020, 09:52 AM »
I have also used Interstate in the past but they are more than 2X the cost of the Delco units at Sam's Club.  Sooo…………

As for AGM vs wet...……...I'll add the distilled water.
It's not difficult and only needs to be done 1-2X during the year depending on the battery's age.
Besides, I have 8 deep cycle batteries that are wet in Donna's golf cart that need servicing.
So I do them all at once.

I have read articles that say AGM are better than wet.
And others that say the absolute opposite.
So why pay $100 more for an AGM - times 3 because I run 36VDC
Doesn't make sense.  For me anyway.

I investigated the lithium batteries.
I know guys that use them.
Super long life.
Significantly lighter.
And more Ah per volume of battery.
Still.....they are mega bucks.
If you do the math, they are almost a washout to lead acid in the long run.
But coughing up $2500 for 3 batteries is tough pill to swallow.
They will probably come down in price over time, or something else will come out on the market.
For now, for me, it will be wet lead acid units.

westernmas

« Reply #22 on: Apr 17, 2020, 10:30 AM »
My buddy got one for his yak.  $800.  Too steep for me.

For my purposes I could get away with the 54ah but yeah cost double the amount of the trolling motor.  Weight was a big factor in my decision since it will be used in an inflatable raft or my kayak.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Steve H.

« Reply #23 on: Apr 17, 2020, 12:05 PM »
For my purposes I could get away with the 54ah but yeah cost double the amount of the trolling motor.  Weight was a big factor in my decision since it will be used in an inflatable raft or my kayak.

Yeah, my buddy's got the Old Town Predator MK, which uses an integrated Minn Kota.  He fishes lots of kayak tourneys including ones in Texas and Wisconsin so he's hardcore enough to drop the coin.  Me, not so much.  I'll stick with a couple Wally World specials or maybe spring for an Interstate.

lowaccord66

« Reply #24 on: Apr 18, 2020, 03:16 PM »

I also have 8 deep cycles too and while I could afford to replace them all with lithium, it would be a considerable cost...money better spent elsewhere....like the 1400 I just donated to tackle direct last night  8)

Jethro

« Reply #25 on: Apr 19, 2020, 07:52 AM »
You guys like the flooded lead?  I am not in favor of having to add distilled water to 4 batteries so I stuck to sealed on the bass boat.  My trolling rig has 4 flooded lead.  They probably need distilled water. Wouldn't mind that flooded lead price though.

I also have 8 deep cycles too and while I could afford to replace them all with lithium, it would be a considerable cost...money better spent elsewhere....like the 1400 I just donated to tackle direct last night  8)

Yeah the short term cost benefit is good, but I bet if you do the math on lithium it may win that battle over time. Especially when you consider the durability and weight benefits of lithium. I do sometimes pound the ever loving daylights on my boat, especially on the salt, and the batteries are what makes me cringe the most. Lithiums are more or less bomb proof. But if you take care of lead acids and make sure they are tied down good they are pretty stout.

Do they make great on board chargers for lithium batteries? I'm sure they must.

I made a great 60 amp hr. LIfepo4 battery ammo box for my ice shanty last season, it is awesome but that is obviously a huge bonus for the weight factor. But for some reason I didn't consider it for my trolling motor install?

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #26 on: Apr 19, 2020, 03:01 PM »
Lithium is initially pricy, but in the end it's the way to go. Golf cart guys are building/ buying lithium packs that weigh the same as one FLA battery, that have the capacity of 6 FLA batts. 70 pounds that outpower over 400. Plus the life span is 3-5 times flooded batteries.

lowaccord66

« Reply #27 on: Apr 19, 2020, 05:59 PM »
Yeah the short term cost benefit is good, but I bet if you do the math on lithium it may win that battle over time. Especially when you consider the durability and weight benefits of lithium. I do sometimes pound the ever loving daylights on my boat, especially on the salt, and the batteries are what makes me cringe the most. Lithiums are more or less bomb proof. But if you take care of lead acids and make sure they are tied down good they are pretty stout.

Do they make great on board chargers for lithium batteries? I'm sure they must.

I made a great 60 amp hr. LIfepo4 battery ammo box for my ice shanty last season, it is awesome but that is obviously a huge bonus for the weight factor. But for some reason I didn't consider it for my trolling motor install?

They do, the minkota I just added can handle lithium apparently.  I think the only thing Id like is the weight savings, but is it worth it, probably not.

I did have fun today in the wind with spot lock.  36v's and 110lbs of thrust moves.

Jethro

« Reply #28 on: Apr 19, 2020, 08:53 PM »
I did have fun today in the wind with spot lock.  36v's and 110lbs of thrust moves.

Me as well! What a game changer it is not to have to worry so much about boat control! I was able to change twice as many presentations today while trolling all while the autopilot kept the boat under perfect control. And yes, that 112lbs is some kinda of power!

lowaccord66

« Reply #29 on: Apr 20, 2020, 09:00 AM »
Yup autopilot and cruise control helped me out...kind of...was casting for pike and got the skunk. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.