FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: line question  (Read 3396 times)

1morefish10990

line question
« on: Mar 12, 2010, 06:24 PM »
i have a new ultra light reel to go with ul pole. it says up to 6lb mono or like 12 lb braid. going for bass with it and occasional sunnys. braid or mono? what pound test? brand of line?

BBK

Re: line question
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2010, 06:33 PM »
An UL for bass!! ??? I wouldn't go over 6lb, and even then your only going to get about 60 yards.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2010, 06:40 PM »
If you have an ultralite pole put 6lb test line on it for sunnys... Then go buy a 6 1/2 ft medium heavy rod and put 12 pound fluorocarbon or 20 pound spider wire on it for bass... Just my opinion..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Outdoorsmen

« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2010, 06:58 PM »
I use 8# fireline crystal on my UL's. I the biggest bass was about 5.5 lbs I have caught on it with no problem. I use UL's for a lot of my fishing I like the fight.
EARLY TO BED, EARLY TO RISE. FISH LIKE HELL, AND MAKE UP LIES

slipperybob

« Reply #4 on: Mar 12, 2010, 07:05 PM »
4# Fireline.  Just look at your reel's spool capacity.
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

eyedoktr

« Reply #5 on: Mar 12, 2010, 07:10 PM »
i have a new ultra light reel to go with ul pole. it says up to 6lb mono or like 12 lb braid. going for bass with it and occasional sunnys. braid or mono? what pound test? brand of line?

I have a very hard time believing the rod and/or reel says you can use 12# braid. That is way too heavy for an ultra light rod and reel.
Pete Lewis

1morefish10990

« Reply #6 on: Mar 12, 2010, 07:20 PM »
i used ul to catch my biggest 6lb bass.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2010, 05:44 PM »
I have a very hard time believing the rod and/or reel says you can use 12# braid. That is way too heavy for an ultra light rod and reel.
Seems odd, eh Pete?

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Outdoorsmen

« Reply #8 on: Mar 14, 2010, 08:10 PM »

I don't think he is saying that is says to use 12 # braid. When it comes to braid high LB test come in very small diameter. I use fireline all the time and 14lb test is the same size as 6 lb mono. I think that 14lb is kind of high for a UL, because you could do damage to your pole. I use 8-10 lb fireline crystal and that is equal to 3-4 lb diameter mono.
EARLY TO BED, EARLY TO RISE. FISH LIKE HELL, AND MAKE UP LIES

skidplate

« Reply #9 on: Mar 14, 2010, 08:39 PM »
4# Berkley XT mono, what I use on all my UL rods.  Use that drag...make it sing;-)
There is only one kind of freedom and that's individual liberty. Our lives come from our creator and our liberty comes from our creator. It has nothing to do with government granting it.
 Ron Paul

slipperybob

« Reply #10 on: Mar 14, 2010, 09:00 PM »
http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/products/reels/spinning/Stradic_FI.html

Go to the specifications tab.  That will show the Power Pro line for the spinning reels.   ;D  Doesn't say 12# braid but 10# braid and others.

stoph

« Reply #11 on: Mar 15, 2010, 08:35 AM »
If its a lower end combo i'd stay away from braid. The lower quality eyes up the rod will be relitively soft metal and braid can wear and cut in and leave perminent damage. (it can literally cut grooves into the metal!)
 unless your ul set up cost a bit of $ stick to mono for now. my 2c

1morefish10990

« Reply #12 on: Mar 15, 2010, 06:55 PM »
im sorry it was 15lb max braid not 12lb. its a shamano sienna 1000fd

slipperybob

« Reply #13 on: Mar 15, 2010, 07:36 PM »
I'd figure that...pretty much only Shimano gives out the braid line estimates on their reels.

For sunnys:
4 or 6 lb Fireline
6 to 10 lb Braid.

For bass:
8 or 10 lb Fireline
10 to 15 lb Braid.

BBK

« Reply #14 on: Mar 15, 2010, 10:00 PM »
I'd figure that...pretty much only Shimano gives out the braid line estimates on their reels.

For sunnys:
4 or 6 lb Fireline
6 to 10 lb Braid.

For bass:
8 or 10 lb Fireline
10 to 15 lb Braid.

How come you have braid higher then fireline? They are relatively the same diameter and strength. I personally would stay away from fireline fused lines, fireline braid is OK but power pro braid is the best IMO.

I recently switched to silver thread line, I love their fluoro and would highly suggest giving that a try.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.