FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Heading to Sebago Sat. for the 1st time. Any advice?  (Read 1846 times)

tracker2011

• I'm NH piker on IceShanty
Heading to Sebago Sat. for the 1st time. Any advice?
« on: Oct 01, 2020, 05:52 AM »
Hello.  I am so excited.  This has been on my bucket list for sometime now but life gets in the way.  I am just wondering what to expect on fish location this time of year and what lure/fly's are working now.  I fish Rangeley Lake and surrounding lakes mostly when in Maine but I want to branch out.  I am really hoping to hit Sebago for Ice Fishing this year. Lets hope for a cold winter.  I deliver Propane so my ice fishing is half what I'd like.  Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I did go over on Labor Day weekend to find a spot to launch and I like Standish the best.  I hear alot about Jordon Bay for the fishing so I'll be swinging by that way before leaving Sat.  I'll post if I catch anything.  I am hoping for the Togue's.   
Fishing is my first passion, just don't tell the wife!

fishlessman

Re: Heading to Sebago Sat. for the 1st time. Any advice?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 01, 2020, 02:34 PM »
Hello.  I am so excited.  This has been on my bucket list for sometime now but life gets in the way.  I am just wondering what to expect on fish location this time of year and what lure/fly's are working now.  I fish Rangeley Lake and surrounding lakes mostly when in Maine but I want to branch out.  I am really hoping to hit Sebago for Ice Fishing this year. Lets hope for a cold winter.  I deliver Propane so my ice fishing is half what I'd like.  Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I did go over on Labor Day weekend to find a spot to launch and I like Standish the best.  I hear alot about Jordon Bay for the fishing so I'll be swinging by that way before leaving Sat.  I'll post if I catch anything.  I am hoping for the Togue's.

have been having luck with white perch flies and coolwater cruiser flies from aj's in merideth.  if you dont have those call him today and see if he has them and will hold them for you. glow lures with blue have been working but not like the flies. we have a hair fly with purple on top and yellow and white under it thats been real hot. make sure you look in the rules on the areas that shut down today

tracker2011

« Reply #2 on: Oct 01, 2020, 07:41 PM »
I've never been there fishing before so I'll see where other boats are trolling.  I won't follow or creep in on anyone I'll just fish in area's where others are.  I hear Jordon Bay area is a good one. I have a bunch of streamers to try out.  Never heard of the ones you mention.  I live in Claremont NH so I don't have enough time to get over to AJ's.  Its 3 hours to Sebago for me as well but its a place I've been wanting to try for a while now.

stguy

« Reply #3 on: Oct 02, 2020, 07:27 AM »
Yesterday I found them in 70' fow near the bottom, copper and orange Northeast trollers, 2.2 MPH, boated quints, 4 lakers and a salmon on at the same time, that was a first for me

I've had the same copper and orange lures on all season

fishlessman

« Reply #4 on: Oct 02, 2020, 08:11 AM »
I've never been there fishing before so I'll see where other boats are trolling.  I won't follow or creep in on anyone I'll just fish in area's where others are.  I hear Jordon Bay area is a good one. I have a bunch of streamers to try out.  Never heard of the ones you mention.  I live in Claremont NH so I don't have enough time to get over to AJ's.  Its 3 hours to Sebago for me as well but its a place I've been wanting to try for a while now.

bring binocs, theres some places you will not even see a boat. also, look for diving gulls, im just starting to see them and should start seeing them more and more. if you fish the big bay mark the south side of outer island and the south side of bear point on the gps and setup a route to stay below that line. i have not seen a patrol boat pull anyone over this year but fishing the area above that line now will draw attention.

stguy

« Reply #5 on: Oct 02, 2020, 09:13 AM »
bring binocs, theres some places you will not even see a boat. also, look for diving gulls, im just starting to see them and should start seeing them more and more. if you fish the big bay mark the south side of outer island and the south side of bear point on the gps and setup a route to stay below that line. i have not seen a patrol boat pull anyone over this year but fishing the area above that line now will draw attention.

The gulls are all in Jordan bay, watching them from my house at this moment...

Good point about the no fishing zone, alot of fish over there last weekend

fishlessman

« Reply #6 on: Oct 02, 2020, 10:44 AM »
The gulls are all in Jordan bay, watching them from my house at this moment...

Good point about the no fishing zone, alot of fish over there last weekend

lots of really fat males the last two weeks, thinking the females start staging soon.  saw a guide make a client stand for a pic which looked like an 8 inch salmon where there was good fish. will probably start there and head to jordan bay once the sun starts to get high and things slow down, not seeing enough gulls yet and not smelling the bait like usually happens about now. been putting the stinky net inside the tarps behind dads head to keep him interested, he thinks he is smelling bait

stguy

« Reply #7 on: Oct 02, 2020, 11:50 AM »
We've been doing very well in Jordan Bay, alot of trips we've lost count.

The dam is closed because of the landslide on the river so the alewives are just hanging out.....

That's my theory anyway

tracker2011

« Reply #8 on: Oct 09, 2020, 05:47 AM »
Just want to thank everyone for the great info.  I did in fact make it over.  Wow what a day.  My buddy and I boated 15 lakers and lost a few due to running so much leadcore out it was tough bringing in the good ones.  I am for sure going back.  3 hour ride but well worth it.  I am excited to try ice fishing there and I will be finding a motel or some place to stay for the weekend.  I caught all fish on streamers out of Jordon Bay area.  I hope to be over again next weekend of course it depends on the wind.  Thanks again.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.