FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Best most accurate fish scale out there?  (Read 4090 times)

taxid

Best most accurate fish scale out there?
« on: Aug 27, 2019, 12:50 PM »
I looking for more convenient way to weigh the large 4 to 7 pound trout I harvest from my trout pond every other fall vs. a produce/butcher scale that I either haul out to the pond or use in my taxidermy shop. It weighs a ton and I would like something that is convenient to move, very accurate in the 4 to 7 pound range, and shows the weight in large digital letters for a photograph. I sell these fish to taxidermists and will be posting a thumbnail pic for each fish with a corresponding number on my website this year.

I'm willing to pay whatever it takes to get the highest quality, and mostly likely I will get what I pay for. I'm seeing price ranges for new ones on Ebay from 7 to 52 dollars. Haven't check a Amazon yet, but will check sponsors here too, and go that route if they have what I want.

What would you recommend? What would you say to stay away from?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

icejohn

• God, Family.......Fishing.
Re: Best most accurate fish scale out there?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27, 2019, 07:26 PM »
I was checking Amazon...so far this one looks good but it's a Chinese model...says accuracy is +- < .01kg:
BLEN
BLEN Precision Mini Fishing Scale, Luggage Scale 20Kg/44Lb for Fishing Trips
Will check more when I can
take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

zwiggles

« Reply #2 on: Aug 27, 2019, 07:57 PM »
I know uline sells digital scales for packaged shipments. A guy I used to work with spoke very highly of their scales, but I thought it might be worth checking out.

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Aug 27, 2019, 08:36 PM »
Thank you gentlemen. Ice John I'll check that one out. Zwiggles I'm specifically looking for something that I hook into the gill cover and suspen or clamp on to the jaw. Trout have a bad tendency to slide off of horizontal scales! 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Aug 28, 2019, 09:59 AM »
Thank you SizeMatters!

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Aug 28, 2019, 10:04 AM »
Gentlemen,

I found this.

https://fishingpicks.com/best-fish-scales/

The wife always checks reviews before buying something.

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Aug 28, 2019, 10:35 AM »
Ended up going with the 50 lb. Rapala Digital Scale from one of our sponsors Fish307.com Preferred the 15 lb. but they were out of stock. I guess I can use this one for bigger fish like salmon and pike my customers or I catch in public waters.

Water resistant, big digital readings and backlighted during low light. I'm hoping to get the fish and weight in photos for each fish I put up for sale to taxidermists.

Thank you for your suggestions!

lowaccord66

« Reply #8 on: Aug 28, 2019, 10:52 AM »
Ended up going with the 50 lb. Rapala Digital Scale from one of our sponsors Fish307.com Preferred the 15 lb. but they were out of stock. I guess I can use this one for bigger fish like salmon and pike my customers or I catch in public waters.

Water resistant, big digital readings and backlighted during low light. I'm hoping to get the fish and weight in photos for each fish I put up for sale to taxidermists.

Thank you for your suggestions!

From my experience its probably the most inaccurate scale you could use...but I wish you luck.  Not a fan of boga's but they are accurate enough to receive igfa certifications.

zwiggles

« Reply #9 on: Aug 28, 2019, 03:03 PM »
From my experience its probably the most inaccurate scale you could use...but I wish you luck.  Not a fan of boga's but they are accurate enough to receive igfa certifications.

I think it’s hit or miss with those. My buddy has one that is nuts on accurate. Even comparing it to my boga it’s virtually identical. I also have one of the rap scales and mine is about a 1lb off when I’m lucky.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #10 on: Aug 28, 2019, 03:23 PM »
I think it’s hit or miss with those. My buddy has one that is nuts on accurate. Even comparing it to my boga it’s virtually identical. I also have one of the rap scales and mine is about a 1lb off when I’m lucky.

Hopefully 1 lb more. LOL
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #11 on: Aug 28, 2019, 06:39 PM »
Hopefully 1 lb more. LOL

Hopefully on the heavy side then you can claim its Fisherman friendly Haha!

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #12 on: Aug 29, 2019, 10:28 AM »
LOL
Wicked Wec

taxid

« Reply #13 on: Sep 04, 2019, 10:48 PM »
I just weighed something on the Rapala scale vs. my certified produce/butcher scale.

Rapala Scale 1.85 lbs.

Certified Produce Butcher Scale  1 lb. 13 1/2 oz. which is 1.84 lbs.

I'd say that's pretty close? Only 1/100th of a pound difference?

lowaccord66

« Reply #14 on: Sep 05, 2019, 09:40 AM »
Nice!  Lets hope it stays that way Cecil!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.