FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Anybody replace their downrigger cables with braided line?  (Read 1171 times)

taxid

I see with kayaks using mini-downriggers many people are getting rid of the steel cables and replacing with 200 lb. braided line. They say it also gets rid of the annoying humming sound we can all relate to.

Just curious if anyone has replaced their steel cables on their larger boats with braided line? I've always wondered if the humming of the steel cables could spook fish -- especially fish that have been caught and released and could be conditioned to avoid baits that are associated with the humming cables. 

Perhaps it could be risky with the heavier weights vs. the small 3 lb. weights used on kayaks as in line fatigue?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

seamonkey84

Re: Anybody replace their downrigger cables with braided line?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 09:26 AM »
I’ve done a bit of reading lately since im looking into getting a mini rigger for my little boat. I’m opting for braid since it doesn’t have the drag and blowback that cable does and allows you to run deeper with less weight. It’s still 200lb test so breaking isn’t as big of an issue as some thought, from what I’ve read.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

taxid

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 02:52 PM »
Seamonkey84,

In your research is there any recommended color for the downrigger braided line?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

seamonkey84

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 04:10 PM »
Seamonkey84,

In your research is there any recommended color for the downrigger braided line?

No mention of color, the only ones I’ve seen in for down riggers are OD or black. The main downside that I was reading is you don’t get to use a black box to attract fish since it doesn’t conduct the electric current.  or if you like to drag agains bottom or right into structure, the braid frays easily but can be cut with a knife and re-tied without hardware.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

taxid

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 04:57 PM »
Thanks for the info SeaMonkey84!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.