FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Good day of Carping  (Read 1397 times)

ICEHOLE

Good day of Carping
« on: Apr 15, 2019, 07:07 PM »
Landed 10, lost 3

Trout, LMB, SMB, BullHeads, Lakers, Pike, Carp

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
Re: Good day of Carping
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15, 2019, 07:17 PM »
Nice work. Still have never tried carping. One more thing to eat up my paycheck ;D

SkunkLuvver

« Reply #2 on: Apr 15, 2019, 07:20 PM »
Jesus, that’s a phenomenal day!

CMD1987

« Reply #3 on: Apr 15, 2019, 07:49 PM »
Haven’t given that a shot yet - someday - good job

trophyhntr

« Reply #4 on: Apr 15, 2019, 07:54 PM »
very good day indeed!

bogtrotter

« Reply #5 on: Apr 15, 2019, 09:59 PM »
Those are some big fish!

What are you using to catch them?

westernmas

« Reply #6 on: Apr 15, 2019, 11:16 PM »
Great job Matt!
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

ICEHOLE

« Reply #7 on: Apr 16, 2019, 07:51 AM »
Those are some big fish!

What are you using to catch them?
Corn on a hair rig. With a tad of oats, cream corn, and chili powder as prebait/chum..
No need to get fancy this time of year
Trout, LMB, SMB, BullHeads, Lakers, Pike, Carp

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #8 on: Apr 16, 2019, 12:13 PM »
Fish a section of the Charles River on Sunday, chummed with some corn and bread balls made with flavored breadcrumbs and the residual "juice" from the can of corn.
Fished from 12 - 4, and would have left at 3 if I didn't know there was a carp cruising the area.

It's always encouraging when you see a fish breach in the area you will be fishing, so you know you have a chance.

Around 3:30 or so as I was checking my lines I got a fish. ran like a freight train but I was able to keep it from getting into any snags.
after a decent battle I hauled it in to shore. (I need to get/make a carp "cradle" so accurately weigh and measure these beasts.

My best guesstimate would be around 36" and somewhere between 20-25 lbs.

I am so glad that I gave carping a try, and thankfully it hasn't caught on big-time yet around where I fish.
There are a number of water ways around here that I believe might hold some big fish.

My only trouble is access points and time to fish....
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

maxma

« Reply #9 on: Apr 16, 2019, 02:59 PM »
Fish a section of the Charles River on Sunday, chummed with some corn and bread balls made with flavored breadcrumbs and the residual "juice" from the can of corn.
Fished from 12 - 4, and would have left at 3 if I didn't know there was a carp cruising the area.

It's always encouraging when you see a fish breach in the area you will be fishing, so you know you have a chance.

Around 3:30 or so as I was checking my lines I got a fish. ran like a freight train but I was able to keep it from getting into any snags.
after a decent battle I hauled it in to shore. (I need to get/make a carp "cradle" so accurately weigh and measure these beasts.

My best guesstimate would be around 36" and somewhere between 20-25 lbs.

I am so glad that I gave carping a try, and thankfully it hasn't caught on big-time yet around where I fish.
There are a number of water ways around here that I believe might hold some big fish.

My only trouble is access points and time to fish....

20 lb is a monster IMO. I might be wrong as I never fished carp before. But I would definitely brag about it to all my friend if I caught one that big.

Congrats Tim!

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #10 on: Apr 16, 2019, 03:15 PM »
It's funny, for years I would never give carp a second thought.
Then a couple years back I gave it a try.

Now it's part of my fishing regiment during open water season.

Many waters in Mass, and probably most of New England, have carp.
In my experience, most times you wouldn't even know they were there unless you actually saw one.
Fortunately for me I've seen so many jumping out of the water (mostly while kayaking) that I know which waters have them.
The biggest problem is where do you fish from to catch them? Do you fish from shore or boat/kayak?
If from shore, do you have good access and few/no snags or obstructions?
If from a water craft, are you prepared to play the waiting game before the bite and the "Nantucket Sleigh-ride" after the hook-up?

I've see some very large carp jumping and swimming near my kayak to know these particular fish don't see much(if any) pressure.
Heck, I spooked one while fishing at night and it rammed into my kayak as it took off. I laughed more than anything because my only reaction was "He's gonna feel that in the morning!"... :o
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

rangerboats391

« Reply #11 on: Apr 17, 2019, 07:41 AM »
the conn river is loaded with them, pushed into the trees with the high water, massive groups of them ranging from5lbs to 25 even 30lbs

lowaccord66

« Reply #12 on: Apr 17, 2019, 09:32 AM »
Looks like fun Matt.  Nice job.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.