FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Designed to fail..And I hate it...  (Read 13671 times)

lowaccord66

Re: Designed to fail..And I hate it...
« Reply #15 on: Jul 14, 2020, 01:02 PM »
I am seriously rethinking the Ulterra and going with the Terrova instead.
My Terrova was 60”.
So a 72” will be more to lift.
But mine didn’t have that yo-yo lift assist spring mechanism.
I’m getting older by the minute but I think I can still go up front and lift a Terrova.
Of course my last one was a 24v motor and this one will be 36v.
I wonder if the lift assist on a 36v motor has a beefier spring than the 24v motor.

Its the same spring.  Same part number if I recall.  I have a 36v terrova and love it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #16 on: Jul 14, 2020, 02:26 PM »
Its the same spring.  Same part number if I recall.  I have a 36v terrova and love it.

How tough to lift and stow?
My old 24v Terrova didn’t have the spring and was a brute to lift up and out of the water.  Even deploying it I was always afraid I was going to drop it and bust the crap out of it.
I’m not a 98 lb weakling but bouncing around on the bow in rough seas while deploying and stowing can get silly.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #17 on: Jul 15, 2020, 07:50 AM »
I am seriously rethinking the Ulterra and going with the Terrova instead.
My Terrova was 60”.
So a 72” will be more to lift.
But mine didn’t have that yo-yo lift assist spring mechanism.
I’m getting older by the minute but I think I can still go up front and lift a Terrova.
Of course my last one was a 24v motor and this one will be 36v.
I wonder if the lift assist on a 36v motor has a beefier spring than the 24v motor.

I fought with the decision for a long time myself. Up until the last moment actually. But I am so happy with the Ulterra. Auto stow/deploy is awesome, but certainly not necessary.

stripernut

« Reply #18 on: Jul 15, 2020, 10:43 AM »
I just got the minn kota riptide terrova and the lift is a breeze. My 75 yr old father is going it OK.

Mac Attack

« Reply #19 on: Jul 15, 2020, 11:56 AM »
I just got the minn kota riptide terrova and the lift is a breeze. My 75 yr old father is going it OK.

How long is the shaft and what is the motor - 24 or 36 volts?

Thanks.

lowaccord66

« Reply #20 on: Jul 15, 2020, 12:31 PM »
How tough to lift and stow?
My old 24v Terrova didn’t have the spring and was a brute to lift up and out of the water.  Even deploying it I was always afraid I was going to drop it and bust the crap out of it.
I’m not a 98 lb weakling but bouncing around on the bow in rough seas while deploying and stowing can get silly.

Yes it can get silly.  I think its pretty easy.  On mine you need to let it down gently but its not difficult.  As far as stowing goes....I dont find it to be too difficult unless I'm in heavy chop.  Have to remember to turn autopilot/spot lock off.  I use mine daily!

stripernut

« Reply #21 on: Jul 15, 2020, 01:10 PM »
60" and 24 volts.

Steve H.

« Reply #22 on: Jul 15, 2020, 01:26 PM »
Go with the Terrova.  Got one this year and love it.  Haven't synched the Spot Jog feature yet but that seems pretty cool.  Lift assist is awesome, makes it virtually effortless compared with the older bow-mounts.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

Steve H.

« Reply #23 on: Jul 15, 2020, 01:27 PM »
Have to remember to turn autopilot/spot lock off. 

YES!  Wish there was an auto shut-off for this when stowed, actually.  First time it happened, wasn't sure what was going on. 
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

lowaccord66

« Reply #24 on: Jul 15, 2020, 03:16 PM »
YES!  Wish there was an auto shut-off for this when stowed, actually.  First time it happened, wasn't sure what was going on.

Hahaha gets me every time even though I've been using one for years!

Jethro

« Reply #25 on: Jul 16, 2020, 07:14 AM »
The Ulterra prop shuts off automatically when you activate the trim motor.

Steve H.

« Reply #26 on: Jul 16, 2020, 09:00 AM »
The Ulterra prop shuts off automatically when you activate the trim motor.

Prop stops for sure, it's the steering motors that don't. 

zwiggles

« Reply #27 on: Jul 16, 2020, 09:27 AM »
Hahaha gets me every time even though I've been using one for years!

The worst is when you’re trolling and trying to turn the main motor, but forget the trolling motor is taking you on a track or in a direction..... don’t ask how I know  :whistling:

Jethro

« Reply #28 on: Jul 16, 2020, 10:53 AM »
Prop stops for sure, it's the steering motors that don't.

Oh, I got what you are saying. The Ulterra cuts everything else you hit the stow button since it positions the drive motor in a specific way. I could see how with the manual stow motors that could take you by surprise though.

lowaccord66

« Reply #29 on: Jul 16, 2020, 01:40 PM »
The worst is when you’re trolling and trying to turn the main motor, but forget the trolling motor is taking you on a track or in a direction..... don’t ask how I know  :whistling:

Im more a fan of setting autopilot and then being heads down tying, look up, almost on the shore.

Hey Jethro are you using the external GPS puck with your new unit?  How's the accuracy compare to your old powerdrive?  My terrova is a 2014, my last riptide was an 09.  The ipilot on the riptide was a lot more accurate than this terrova.  Neither had the puck.  Buddy of mine runs a terrova and forgets to turn the puck on but says he notices no difference. 

For me the small adjustments on spot lock can make me lose lakers that are chasing my jig and or if I am really deep fishing a narrow beam the jig falls outside of the cone and I can't track it.  I really don't want to drop 3k for a ulterra but I can and will if its more precise.  To be fair I think there are some conditions where they just struggle.  When I'm on a big lake and its blowing it holds pretty well.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.