MFF US Northeast > New Hampshire

First trout on the fly

(1/6) > >>

zwiggles:
So I started to try and learn how to fly fish this year. I hadn’t picked up a fly rod to do anything but trolling in probably 15 years. I have been out a bunch, and learned a lot, but the trout had eluded me. I lost a few earlier in the year following the stocking trucks, but all summer I caught tons of chubs, panfish, and a few small mouth.

I got out recently for the close of general law fishing on streams, and a friend and I decided to go exploring by his house on a stretch of river rather than try spots we had heard about. It was a great success. We found some awesome looking water within walking distance of his place:

And we also caught some trout!

It’s been a fun year of learning. I think by far my favorite part of this type of fishing is going out and exploring the local streams. I have been skunked plenty of times this year, but each time I’ve learned a bit more about fly fishing, and eventually even found some trout!

The biggest benefit to me this year in learning was watching Chris Myers YouTube videos for casting, and pretty much everything fly fishing related. I’d highly recommend checking him out if you’re interested in fly fishing.

lowaccord66:
Nice report.  Come visit CT and we can get some giants on the fly.

Raquettedacker:
Nice job Z..  Congratulations..

SHaRPS:
Nice work Zach!

And if you are in RI, I can show you some hidden gems!

TightLinesMaine:
Congrats, those are some dark brook trout! Very nice colors.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version