FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: First baitcaster...tips for setup?  (Read 4335 times)

TheDL

First baitcaster...tips for setup?
« on: Apr 16, 2013, 12:39 PM »
Well...I finally joined the dark side and picked up my first bait caster.   I got an Abu Garcia revo winch.   

I intend on using this reel to throw big pike swimbaits/cranks around but also to pitch/punch for bass in the slop (on a different rod).  I'm planning on spooling up with a bit of 10lb mono backing then filling the reel with 50lb braided line, as I intend on fishing heavy cover for bass, and there are musky in my pike waters (st lawrence river). 

I'm a bit confused about setting the contrifugal brakes and the magnetic adjustment.  Obviously I understand more braking=less casting distance and I've heard you should set your brakes so your lure falls slowly to the ground on free spool, then maybe turns once after the lure hits the ground? 

Do you mostly set the magnetic brake? 
Is there a general starting point for the centrifugal brakes? 
Is it really neccessary to open the side of the reel and mess around with the brakes every time I make a lure change, or can I just set it approximately with the centrifugal brake (i.e. heavy lure/light lure) then fine tune on lure changes with the external dial?

I really don't want to waste fishing time with backlashes and intend on practicing in the yard a bit, but I'm hoping some of you might have some tips to save me some argrevations with overuns  ???
tight lines....

FWCanoeFisher

Re: First baitcaster...tips for setup?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 16, 2013, 12:45 PM »
With a baitcaster, the spool setting will vary with the line and lure you have on.  The initial set-up should already be done internally.  It's up to you to set the external dial in conjunction with the lure you're using.  This is to prevent backlash.  I will not lie to you, you WILL have backlash.  It's a matter of learning from what you just did and making the proper adjustments.  When casting, it helps to use your thumb to stop the spool once the lure stops taking out an excess amount of line.  This is something that you will perfect with practice.

PRACTICE is key.

TheDL

« Reply #2 on: Apr 16, 2013, 01:46 PM »
Thanks CanoeFisher  ;D.  Is the "set your brakes so your lure falls slowly to the ground on free spool, then maybe turns once after the lure hits the ground" a good place to start?

Is it commong to need to change change the internal (centrifugal) brakes often while fishing?

I will be out in the yard practicing tonight!
tight lines....

FWCanoeFisher

« Reply #3 on: Apr 16, 2013, 03:06 PM »
Thanks CanoeFisher  ;D.  Is the "set your brakes so your lure falls slowly to the ground on free spool, then maybe turns once after the lure hits the ground" a good place to start?

Is it commong to need to change change the internal (centrifugal) brakes often while fishing?

I will be out in the yard practicing tonight!

I prefer to set the brake too tight so that way I don't have to deal with bird's nests.  I then continue to loosen the brake dial to get on that edge.  You'll begin to see where the spool will want to continue to "unspool" even though the lure isn't taking much of it off.  At that point, you'll know to tighten it up.  It's difficult to explain with words and is better to be taught by demonstration and experiencing it.

You should never have to change the internal brakes while fishing.  Typically, lures for baitcasting lie in the 1/4 to 1/2 oz range (In my experience), so it should be relatively the same across the board.  The dial takes care of most of it.

royjulius

• Bluegills and Shorelunch!
« Reply #4 on: Apr 16, 2013, 03:20 PM »
I like to max out the internal brake and then adjust from the side brake. Practice with a 1/2 oz weight like was said above. 1/2 oz lures are the easiest for me anyway, to throw with a BC. Then throw at a garbage can a few times every night after work and eventually it will come naturally. After you get it "down", your worst enemy will be a sudden wind gust in your face, or forgetting that you just tied on a wind resistant lure such as a buzzbait. I think starting out, the lure falling slowly is still a little too loose. Make it so you have to shake the rod tip a little to get the lure to drop. This tip may save you from destroying a whole spool of line. Revos are good reels. I just bought a new one yesterday.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

JamesK

« Reply #5 on: Apr 16, 2013, 05:06 PM »
 a tip for you make the longest cast you think you will need then put a piece of black tape on the spool. reel in an no more backlashs pass that point. This will help till you thumb gets educated. I use  Shimano Chonarch and had my wife casting with no backlashes in a very short time. I turned all the braking systems on so she didnt have to use her thumb. Once she got comfortable with it \I would back them off. Once your thumb gets educated you will never need to touch anything. Good luck and dont be afraid of it, I been using a baitcaster for over 40 years and still get a professional over run and love them

TheDL

« Reply #6 on: Apr 17, 2013, 10:58 AM »
Great tips, thanks!  I've heard that tape trick, that sounds like a good idea.
Typically, lures for baitcasting lie in the 1/4 to 1/2 oz range

I actually bought the baitcaster speficially for the bigger baits.   I plan on throwing 3/4-1.5oz baits for bass (punching/pitching) and 1-5oz baits for pike/musky...so I'm guessing I'll need to adjust the internal brakes depending on what I'm targetting...shouldn't be too hard to remember, I'll be switching rods for the 2 different purposes.

Keep the tips coming!
tight lines....

danny b

• northernnnnnnns!
« Reply #7 on: Apr 30, 2013, 10:40 PM »
I keep my magnetic break around 4 and don't, I always keep the spook breaking looser than recommended, all thumb control!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.