FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Spring walleye help  (Read 19708 times)

eyehi

Re: Spring walleye help
« Reply #15 on: Apr 18, 2011, 04:56 PM »
ice dawg  - thanks - all good info.  I was going to use 14# flouro for the tying, unless mono is better for this purpose?  I believe the northland kit comes with mono...but i like fouro for it's no strectch/lo-vis qualities
I also prefer fluoro as sometimes i fish in 70 foot of water. I used to use mono but had fewer good hooksets because of line stretch.
Budweiser pro staff

the jigs up

« Reply #16 on: Apr 18, 2011, 09:17 PM »
Hey DL

I just found you over here on the walleye world. No action on the Ontario board, waiting for someone to start something!! I guess the guys are waiting for softwater to kick into gear. I'm so used to Shanty with daily topics and updates.

I am stoked about opener, got 16 guys confirmed for my little inside tourney. I'm hoping for decent weather so all the boys can fish and keep occupied.

It has been so cold this spring I feel the Wally's will be slow and just leaving the rivers by opener. In my opinion "slow and subtle" will be the key. We will see, a lot can change before May 7th.

I may have to try one of these worm harnesses or bottom bouncers this year. I might even try a small trout hook and a live minnow on botton. Nice and subtle, whack!! :o

Good Luck
BORN TO FISH...FORCED TO WORK... TO PAY FOR FISHING...

the jigs up

« Reply #17 on: Apr 18, 2011, 09:21 PM »
I also prefer fluoro as sometimes i fish in 70 foot of water. I used to use mono but had fewer good hooksets because of line stretch.

I read somewhere that Mono stretches up to 30% and Floro only 10%. That's a big difference when it comes to hook sets!!
BORN TO FISH...FORCED TO WORK... TO PAY FOR FISHING...

eyehi

« Reply #18 on: Apr 18, 2011, 09:47 PM »
I read somewhere that Mono stretches up to 30% and Floro only 10%. That's a big difference when it comes to hook sets!!
esp in deep water i learned from experience. nothing worse than finally getting a bite and losing it half way up. >:( eyehi out
Budweiser pro staff

corny13

« Reply #19 on: Apr 18, 2011, 10:10 PM »
Did I say Salmo... ;D

Hornet that is.....

Sluggo / NY

« Reply #20 on: Apr 19, 2011, 04:07 PM »
I'm a big fan of braided line and use it for almost everything. It's no-stretch quality makes it perfect for deep water jigging. Most of my lighter outfits are lined with 10# Powerpro in moss green, which has the diameter of 2# mono. I rarely bother with a floro leader. I use a very soft action rod and my hooksets are just a wrist-flick motion. I very seldom drop a fish on the way up.

nice - thanks for the tips guys.  I've ordered some bottom walking weights, and a northland walleye kit filled with float bodys, beads, nice blades and hooks.  when it arrives, I'll post some pics of my homemade rigs. anyone got any tips for tying up these rigs?

DL.. I've been tying my own harnesses for years. Most of my trolling is on Lake Erie, so the hardware I use is probably overkill for smaller waters (and smaller fish). I do a very basic snell using 1/0 Red Gamagatsu Octopus hooks with 17# Segaur Floro Leader Material. The leader material is stiffer and more abrasion resistant than fishing line. I start with 4' of leader.. insert a couple inches of line through the eye towards the bend. Holding it against the shank..I make five wraps from the eye towards the bend.. insert the long end through the bottom of the eye and pull tight. A second hook goes on the same way about four inches above. I then add my beads.. usually five.. then a quick-change clevis.. topped off with a "quality" ball-bearing swivel. Sounds much more involved than it really is. I can tie one in less than five minutes.. and I'm not a fast mover! I also put a drop of super-glue on the snell so they can't unravel.

Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)   

eyehi

« Reply #21 on: Apr 19, 2011, 05:21 PM »
i tried braided for one year and broke the tip off my new rod. I also noticed several problems with tangling on my worm harnesses.tried it didnt like its floro for me. eyehi out
Budweiser pro staff

TheDL

« Reply #22 on: Apr 21, 2011, 10:51 AM »
right on - more good info.  if basspro ever ships my stuff, >:( I'll be good to go. I'm counting the days untill the Walleye opener tourny - it'll be my first one, can't wait.
sluggo - thanks for the specifics on the harnesses.  I am assuming the swivel is going above the whole harness, joining your mainline to your harness rig?
tight lines....

Sluggo / NY

« Reply #23 on: Apr 21, 2011, 01:50 PM »
I am assuming the swivel is going above the whole harness, joining your mainline to your harness rig?
Yes.. I use a swivel to terminate the harness. On my trolling rigs I run 30# braid. To this I add a swivel.. four feet of floro leader.. then a duo-loc snap. It makes it quick to change harnesses, plus I can just snap on a stickbait or spoon if I want. I hate line twist! Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

TheDL

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2011, 11:43 AM »
I start with 4' of leader.. insert a couple inches of line through the eye towards the bend. Holding it against the shank..I make five wraps from the eye towards the bend.. insert the long end through the bottom of the eye and pull tight.
Ok - I'm going to tie up some harnesses tonite - and I'm terrible with knots.  From the sounds of this method of snelling, the line is just wrapped around the shank of the hook?  I haven't tried this yet - but that doesn't seem like a good knot - maybe I'm missing something?

anyone got some details/more tips on this? ???
tight lines....

Jynx

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2011, 02:05 PM »
look at a pre-snelled hook, if you need to use a magnifying glass to get a good look at it,  do it,  A snell is essentially a cinch knot, but with alot more wraps.

TheDL

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2011, 02:21 PM »
that's a thought - the lindy rig weights came with pre-made snells
tight lines....

Sluggo / NY

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2011, 05:29 PM »
DL.. Here's a link to an animated lesson on snelling. A bit more elaborate than mine, but I'm sure it works as well. An old timer showed me the one I use years ago and I've never had a problem with one. Actually caught a few walleye on them too!
http://www.netknots.com/html/snell_knot.html
Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

TheDL

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2011, 08:19 AM »
well - that's pretty clear, thanks
tight lines....

OneBucketMike

• OneBucketMike
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2011, 08:33 AM »
Put a drop of water on your knots when tying them and pull slowly on the tag end to snug them up. This will keep from burning the mono when you pull the knots tight.

Actually saliva is the quickest-get your fishing partner to spit on it if you don't know where your line has been!!!!!   Cya....
One Bucket Mike

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.