FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lake Erie  (Read 1712 times)

Spooled85

Lake Erie
« on: Mar 20, 2019, 01:07 PM »
I know there is a few posts on here somewhere with possibly the information I'm looking for but having trouble finding it....... But my question is I have never been before and me and a couple buddies are looking to take my boat in the next 3 weeks and give it a go on the jigging and trolling for the first time.can any of you lead me in the right direction as to where would be a good area to start based on your experience for this time of year? Any information would be greatly appreciated

Spooled85

Re: Lake Erie
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2019, 01:08 PM »
We are also targeting walleye specifically and looking to stay one night in a hotel somewhere close to where we would launch from....

RoeBoat

« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2019, 01:16 PM »
Wild wings at Oak Harbor is a decent place to launch from.  Some reefs close and the cans around camp perry are close.  Can be a very short run to find fish.  My uncle runs a charter boat out of there.

Spooled85

« Reply #3 on: Mar 20, 2019, 03:47 PM »
Thanks roe boat .... A buddy of mine is hearing Port Clinton can be very good also have you heard anything about that before?

stephen20

« Reply #4 on: Mar 20, 2019, 04:48 PM »
Port Clinton can be good as well. That’s where I launch when they have ice. I would head out near reefs. Shouldn’t be too hard to find some fish this time of year.

hookitNcookit

« Reply #5 on: Mar 20, 2019, 07:51 PM »
A buddy and I go every year on a head boat out of port clinton and camp at east harbor state park. Try to go may 1st its an awesome fisherie I love jiggin for em. Be prepared for 500 boats though literally! Trollers and jiggers everywhere lol its hard to fathom how many walleye come out of there in one year, charter outfit i take caught 24000 last year alone. My buddy got a 29 3/4 incher 9 1/2 lbs i got a 26” 6 1/4 lb and a lot of other meat needless to say we are hooked as you will be too. Gonna try my boat this year if its to windy just gonna hop on the head boat. Monitor winds you may have to reschedule as it blows good out there, hear alot of stories of wasted trips!

abishop

« Reply #6 on: Mar 20, 2019, 08:02 PM »
Been there three weekends, and on all 3 trips I basically lost 1 day each trip to high winds.

Spooled85

« Reply #7 on: Mar 20, 2019, 08:55 PM »
Thank you for the info fellows, I have booked a room for the weekend of April 20th hoping the weather cooperates and can get out I'm going to go out of Port Clinton. I've also heard the same thing that a lot of guys get wasted trips because of weather it sucks planning a trip that far out not knowing what it's going to be but I have till the 17th to cancel my trip so if the weather isn't looking good for the winds than I will have to reschedule

RoeBoat

« Reply #8 on: Mar 20, 2019, 09:02 PM »
Wind and rain is tough on the west basin,  especially the wind!

abishop

« Reply #9 on: Mar 20, 2019, 09:53 PM »
Cant remember which captain we booked with. I do know we launched from Port Clinton and stayed in a new condo fully furnished. Cost was 90 dollars a day per man for the 6 of us. Included boat, tackle, room, and captain with mate included 8 hour trip each day. Plus he would stay out longer if the fish were biting. Thought that was a heck of a deal. Haven't been there in about 8 years or so. Guess it is about time to do it again. Have a buddy of mine who goes all the time and said he fishes his boat staying by the nuke plant west side staying within mile from shore with no problems with the wind. He only has a smaller boat. I am not sure I would go with my 16 deep V.

Spencerville

« Reply #10 on: Mar 22, 2019, 06:56 AM »
I've been on Erie in a 16 deep vee many trips.  Pick your days and pay attention to the sky. You should do well.

northrn-duck-assassin

« Reply #11 on: Mar 22, 2019, 09:13 AM »
Send me a p.m.,

We have a camper out there, have for many years. I myself been fishing the lake over 2 decades. Know many locals and lots of different thing for different aspects of your trip.

I can give you PLENTY of information. Thats why we can just chat through p.m.'s a little bit. I have family heading there in the next couple days. And i have 2 trips planned already myself.

For the jig bite, your going to want to launch out of wild wings, turtle creek, fenwick, magee east marinas. Trolling grounds are broad and various. Some out of the marina area, then there are some grounds out of catawba state park.

Just depends how far your willing to run on the lake and area you want to fish.

Send me a p.m. we can chat a bit.
its more than catching food, its also catching a piece of mind and integrity within

Spooled85

« Reply #12 on: Mar 23, 2019, 10:01 PM »
PM sent ...

Mac Attack

« Reply #13 on: Mar 24, 2019, 07:08 AM »

RoeBoat

« Reply #14 on: Mar 24, 2019, 07:32 AM »
That didn't take long!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum