FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Curly-Tail Grub  (Read 21948 times)

TroutFishingBear

Re: Curly-Tail Grub
« Reply #15 on: Apr 21, 2004, 06:04 PM »
Cider- besides the colors already listed, here are some for more clearer of water situations. I like white. I also like smoke color and purple

mongo

« Reply #16 on: Apr 29, 2004, 08:14 PM »
I have some very good luck with the curly tailed grubs, seems that the smoke colored ones worked the best for me. Just not too sure what time of year I started using them.

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #17 on: Aug 02, 2004, 08:26 PM »
Curly tail grubs are one of the most deadly all around lures around. They work for bass, walleye, trout, pike, and all panfish. I like the 3 inchers for trout, bass, and walleye. White, pumpkin, browns, crawdad colors, purple, smoke, yellow, and chartreuse are the best colors. For pike and active largemouth, weedless rigging 5" mister twisters are hard to beat. I like 2 or 1 and a half inch for crappies and gills.
As far as reducing snags, in weeds rigging grubs with appropriate sized offset, extra wide gap hooks rules. I usually split shot or use a texas style sliding sinker. Always use the lightest weight you can get away with to reduce fall rate. 3" grubs call for #4 hooks, and #1 is perfect for 5 inch grubs.
In rocks and timber, lindy's no snagg timber rock jig shines. It will still snag occasionally, but is the only way to efficiently present twistertails in this snaggy mess. In my experience the snagg guard doesn't reduce hooksets at all, or maybe so little that I don't notice it. The less often your snagging and re - rigging, the more your down in the zone, fishing where the big ones lie.
This weekend, my dad mopped up the brookies using 3" mister twisters on 1/4 ounce heads. He caught as many or more than me, and I was using spinners, spoons, and worms.

Tyler

slipbob

« Reply #18 on: Sep 02, 2004, 10:30 AM »
I am a big fan of the curly tail grub and have used those since the early 80's.  I just placed an order for some Lindy Techniglo thumpin grubs that I can't wait to use in the evenings and after dark for my fall walleye efforts.  Just hit em with the tazer and Oh boy.  Something for those eyes to clue in on.  I have had pretty good luck now with glow baits for late evening walleye and I think these Techniglo grubs are gonna kick it up a notch for me.  ;D  They should be here in a week from Bass Pro.  Cabela's didn't carry them. :'(  I did score some glow fuzzy grubs at Gander Mountain and will try those out too but I like the curly tails a little better than the Fuzz e grubs.  The Fuzz e's are great tipped with live bait.

slipbob

« Reply #19 on: Sep 08, 2004, 02:10 PM »
Here's the latest arrival in my aresenal of curly tails.  I can't wait to spend some time with these babies after dark and see if I can "ignite the bite" LOL!!  Seriously though these should help out on the walleyes after dark.  Shoot em up with the tazer and I'm in business.
[/img]
These are the two color schemes I though would work best for walleye and I'll let you know.
[/img]

Jigwiggler

« Reply #20 on: Sep 08, 2004, 04:47 PM »
Those look Mmm Mmm good Slipbob! :o  I have been "eyeing" up those myself.  I picked up some Berkely power grubs in glow white last week and plan on giving them a try soon.  I have already dyed some of them different colors to try along with the white.
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

slipbob

« Reply #21 on: Sep 08, 2004, 08:23 PM »
Those look Mmm Mmm good Slipbob! :o  I have been "eyeing" up those myself.  I picked up some Berkely power grubs in glow white last week and plan on giving them a try soon.  I have already dyed some of them different colors to try along with the white.

I'm excited about them jw.  We'll see if it's hype or the real thing. I didn't know about glow power grubs.  The only thing I have had happen with the "power grub" is the collar seems to split easily after only a little usage.  It's almost like the plastic isn't as durable as some other twister tails and it's only the power grubs that seem to break like that with a barbed jighead.  Do you ever have that problem?

Liar

!!!!
« Reply #22 on: Sep 09, 2004, 02:37 AM »

Hey Eric.............Type in "fishing jigs" and check out some of the prices for bulk.  You can get the real deal there !!!!!!!

;)  8)   Liar

Liar

« Reply #23 on: Sep 09, 2004, 02:57 AM »

Eric.......

You might want to try   B.A'sBaits&Bassin'Shop.com

;)  8)  Liar

Jigwiggler

« Reply #24 on: Sep 10, 2004, 11:03 AM »
I'm excited about them jw.  We'll see if it's hype or the real thing. I didn't know about glow power grubs.  The only thing I have had happen with the "power grub" is the collar seems to split easily after only a little usage.  It's almost like the plastic isn't as durable as some other twister tails and it's only the power grubs that seem to break like that with a barbed jighead.  Do you ever have that problem?

SB, That is the first I had seen the glow power grubs myself.  Found them at a Gander Mt. and bought all they had.  ;D

I have had that problem in the past but now don't use jigheads with a barb on the shoulder and only my heaviest jigs have shoulders at all.  All of my soft plastics hold up better that way.  Also once the collar does split I just cut off the affected area and rehook, just like new again. ;D

slipbob

« Reply #25 on: Sep 10, 2004, 01:56 PM »
I tell you jw I really, really like the action of those power grubs.  They look better to me in the water than some other twister tails.  What I could do is just file off the barb on the jigheads or at least shave it down so it doesn't cause the collars to split on the power grubs.  I don't have that problem with mister twister or gulp or any of the other competitor plastic companies but whatever it is about the plastic composition on the power grubs they split more easily.  Taking the barb down or off would eliminate that.  I'll try that next time. 

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #26 on: Sep 10, 2004, 04:02 PM »
Yeah I think the powergrubs from Berkely have about the best action I've seen. I think it's better than Mister Twisters. I think I will have to try some of those new Lindy Techniglow curly tails. I'm looking for something to increase my nighttime walleye action. What other brands of grubs do you guys really like the action of? Anyone tried the basspro plastics?

Tyler

slipbob

« Reply #27 on: Sep 10, 2004, 04:08 PM »
Yeah I think the powergrubs from Berkely have about the best action I've seen. I think it's better than Mister Twisters. I think I will have to try some of those new Lindy Techniglow curly tails. I'm looking for something to increase my nighttime walleye action. What other brands of grubs do you guys really like the action of? Anyone tried the basspro plastics?

Tyler

I don't know but I have tried seemingly all the curly tails and nothing beats the action of the power grubs.  They really look nice in the water and have a little fatter, shorter profile.  I know it may seem trivial, but I just think they look better in the water than the other brands. I alos think the glow bodies are good too I just need some more time this fall to experiment with them and see if the results are better after dark than the non glow bodies.  I can't imagine they wouldn't be better.  ???  Anything to give the walleye a visual advantage after dark has got to be a plus.  Dave Genz now uses glow baits almost exclusively, even during the daytime and I'm thinking the same. 

Jigwiggler

« Reply #28 on: Sep 11, 2004, 06:32 AM »
I'm still up in the air on this one and have yet to form a conclusion.  Walleyes already have a visual advantage over most fish and prey species.  I'm not sure if they need the added glow to pick up a bait in total darkness.  I fished glow lures side by side with non glow through the ice last year for eyes and the non glow took the honors catching the majority of my fish.  I didn't get to put in as much time on the eyes as I usually do and don't feel I've given glow baits a fair shot yet.  I will be doing much more comparing this fall and winter, time will tell.

MD21, I also like the action of power grubs better than most.  BPS Tender tubes and Grubs are a good alternative and I use them often in combination with Smelly Jelly.

TJ

« Reply #29 on: Sep 11, 2004, 04:55 PM »
I find that when you use the glow jigs for walleye, you end up with bigger fish. Now this could be coincidence, but for two years straight, if the bite is off, glow seems to perk it up. And glow at dusk, bigger fish!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.