FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Help Needed to Get Rifle Bills Passed  (Read 3972 times)

doctariAFC

Help Needed to Get Rifle Bills Passed
« on: Jul 19, 2007, 05:52 PM »
On July 6, 2007, the NYS Legislature passed S3219A/ A6064 which authorizes the use of centerfire rifles during big game regular season in the counties of Yates, Steuben and Chemung, NYS Southern Zone, starting this coming season, was delivered to Governor Spitzer for his signature to become law!

One problem.  Normally when bills are passed and sent to the Governor, he has 10 days to act (sign or veto).  If no action is taken, the measure becomes Law on day 11.  Not so for these bills, apparently.  According to reports, due to the fact these bills were passed in the closing days of the last session, the bills REQUIRE action by the Governor within 30 days of submission to become law.  In other words, if the Governor doesn't sign it, this will NOT happen, despite overwhelming passage in BOTH the Senate and Assembly.

So, we need to pepper the Governor to ask him to sign these bills into law!  Remember, the rifle has been allowed in many counties for that couple seasons, and the safety record is fantastic.

To Write To The Governor:
Eliot Spitzer
State Capitol
Albany, NY 12224

Or, hit this URL for the email link....  Or do BOTH!!!

http://www.ny.gov/governor/contact/index.html

Since these bills were submitted on 7/6/07, this means we have until 8/5/07 to get Spitzer to sign it.

Also, as an aside, he did promise sportsmen and women of NYS that he wishes to grow our sports during his speeches support his nominee Pete Grannis, so let's hold his feet to the fire...

And then, if by some miracle, he signs these bills, please remember to than him, but first let's get him to SIGN THE BILLS!!!!

Thank you much!
"Beer is the living proof God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

seaweed01

Re: Help Needed to Get Rifle Bills Passed
« Reply #1 on: Jul 19, 2007, 06:44 PM »
I sent my request, has anyone else?

RickTheRock

« Reply #2 on: Jul 19, 2007, 09:19 PM »
I sent mine also.

doctariAFC

« Reply #3 on: Jul 20, 2007, 07:59 AM »
I have received preliminary word that Spitzer has just SIGNED the rifle bills!!!

I have yet to see confirmation of this, but Jacob Rieper of NYSRPA has put the word out this has happened.

Looks for info to be posted on the NYS Senate Website under bills and laws within a few days.

I guess some thank you letters will be in order......  Once I see the official word, I will pen my thank you to Gov Spitzer!
Now if Chautauqua County can make up their minds on this one, we could see just about all of the S. Tier allowing rifles.  And its about time!
"Beer is the living proof God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

RickTheRock

« Reply #4 on: Jul 20, 2007, 09:44 PM »
Thats awesome. Thanks for keeping us up to date.
Rock

kayak2fish

« Reply #5 on: Jul 21, 2007, 05:09 PM »
There is another reason to support this. If counties start allowing shotguns only eventually the whole state is in danger of becoming shotguns only. THEN the downstate Legislators will tell us we don't need rifles because we aren't allowed to hunt with them anyway. They would then expand the state assault weapons ban to include all rifles. That's what they want to do anyway.

scooter22

« Reply #6 on: Jul 22, 2007, 01:39 PM »
Sent my email. This should have been changed decades ago. You can hunt with pistols that are chambered for rifle rounds. 30-30, 35Rem, 44mag. But you can't use a rifle in the same chamberings, I hope this passes.

powdiddy

« Reply #7 on: Jul 22, 2007, 01:46 PM »
will madison county be part of this.

scooter22

« Reply #8 on: Jul 23, 2007, 01:58 PM »
"NYS southern zone" was mentioned. That would include Madison and Onondaga counties wouldn't it?

doctariAFC

« Reply #9 on: Jul 23, 2007, 02:36 PM »
Southern Zone Southern Tier.  This bill expanded rifles to be used in Yates, Chemung and Steuben Counties this year. 

Here is a link to the rifle allowed counties. areas in NYS Northern and Southern Zone.  In S. Zone, if the bill has been signed, Add Steuben, Yates and Chemung.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/35010.html

tughillmcd

« Reply #10 on: Jul 23, 2007, 02:46 PM »
Looks like the change is only for Chemung, Steuben and Yates counties at this time. Write your legislators to include more souther tier counties for next year

Bill Summary   -   A06064 

A06064 Summary:
BILL NO    A06064A

SAME AS    Same as Uni. S 3219-A

SPONSOR    Bacalles

COSPNSR    O`Mara

MLTSPNSR

Amd S11-0907, En Con L

Allows hunters to use a rifle during open season for deer and bear in the
counties of Chemung, Steuben and Yates.

http://www.assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=a6064

Section 1. Item (i) of paragraph a of subdivision 2 of section 11-0907 of the environmental conservation law, as added by section 1 of  chapter        600 of the laws of 2005, is amended to read as follows:
(i) The counties of                   Deer, the first Monday     Pistol, shotgun,
Allegany,                                after November 15            muzzle loading
Cattaraugus, CHEMUNG,          through first Tuesday       firearm,
Chenango, Herkimer,             after December 7              rifle or
Montgomery, Oneida,                                                    long bow only
Oswego, Otsego,
Schoharie {and},
STEUBEN,
Tioga AND YATES
and that portion of
the county of
Broome east of the
Susquehanna river
http://www.assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A06064&sh=t

doctariAFC

« Reply #11 on: Jul 23, 2007, 03:00 PM »
Yep, the rifle bill is now signed.

Add Steuben, Yates and Chemung counties to the list!

The Polish Pirate

« Reply #12 on: Jul 23, 2007, 03:16 PM »
Looks like the change is only for Chemung, Steuben and Yates counties at this time. Write your legislators to include more souther tier counties for next year

http://www.assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=a6064
http://www.assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A06064&sh=t

The 1st Monday after the 15th  ? Does this mean they're going back to a Monday opener ?

vivlamored

• Gotta Love the Adirondacks
« Reply #13 on: Jul 23, 2007, 03:55 PM »
The 1st Monday after the 15th  ? Does this mean they're going back to a Monday opener ?
I don't know why people complain about the use of rifles a few people that i kknow are encon and they say the accidents have been lower in the counties since the rifles have been used. I can tell you from my experence  I don't hear as many 5 shot fluries going off. There are going to be a few guys that think that they can shoot a country mile but in my oppinion rifles are safer
Don't use your sick days when you are sick use them when the fish are biting. It all looks the same on your time card

doctariAFC

« Reply #14 on: Jul 23, 2007, 03:58 PM »
I haven't heard that, but a resolution is in play with NYSCC to bring back the opener on a Monday. 

That would be real nice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.