FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Help Needed to Get Rifle Bills Passed  (Read 3971 times)

vivlamored

• Gotta Love the Adirondacks
Re: Help Needed to Get Rifle Bills Passed
« Reply #15 on: Jul 23, 2007, 04:12 PM »
I haven't heard that, but a resolution is in play with NYSCC to bring back the opener on a Monday. 

That would be real nice.
I loved the monday opener. Seemed like I was always sick from work on that day ;) My buddies and I treated it like it was a holiday
Don't use your sick days when you are sick use them when the fish are biting. It all looks the same on your time card

The Polish Pirate

« Reply #16 on: Jul 23, 2007, 06:05 PM »
I haven't heard that, but a resolution is in play with NYSCC to bring back the opener on a Monday. 

That would be real nice.
Going back to a Monday opener for gun season can be a thread on here that will certainly garner many responses. It will be the acid test to see if the public does really want it . I'm personally for the Monday opener but I do know a lot of people that benefit from the Saturday start. I can't say though that I know anyone who started hunting as a result of the switch to Saturday or that they came back into hunting because of it ? I enjoyed stopping around at all the camps and seeing people that you usually don't get to see much of outside of deer season. The weekend buffer gave you time for all that and the last minute alterations that you may invariably want to make. Regardless of what day it opened, 80% of the people that bought a license last year will again buy another this year. They can always consign their doe permit over in order to gain meat if they didn't have time to hunt.

doctariAFC

« Reply #17 on: Jul 24, 2007, 09:44 AM »
Going back to a Monday opener for gun season can be a thread on here that will certainly garner many responses. It will be the acid test to see if the public does really want it . I'm personally for the Monday opener but I do know a lot of people that benefit from the Saturday start. I can't say though that I know anyone who started hunting as a result of the switch to Saturday or that they came back into hunting because of it ? I enjoyed stopping around at all the camps and seeing people that you usually don't get to see much of outside of deer season. The weekend buffer gave you time for all that and the last minute alterations that you may invariably want to make. Regardless of what day it opened, 80% of the people that bought a license last year will again buy another this year. They can always consign their doe permit over in order to gain meat if they didn't have time to hunt.
No doubt.  Perhaps another thread is in order for this subject?

I, too, favor the Monday opener, but for reasons that may surprise some.  I wish I had been more involved in the Erie County Federation when this one was being voted on, as the info I brought to the Federation in Feb 2005 could have made a big difference in the adoption of the Saturday opener.

But neither here nor there.  What do we say, folks?  A new thread to discuss Saturday vs Monday opener?
"Beer is the living proof God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

THEOZON

« Reply #18 on: Jul 24, 2007, 12:22 PM »
I'm in. Also how about a better reporting system. Something like turning in all un-used tags. Also a one buck/year.

vivlamored

« Reply #19 on: Jul 24, 2007, 02:58 PM »
I'm in. Also how about a better reporting system. Something like turning in all un-used tags. Also a one buck/year.
I'm for the buck a year plan.
Don't use your sick days when you are sick use them when the fish are biting. It all looks the same on your time card

The Polish Pirate

« Reply #20 on: Jul 24, 2007, 03:26 PM »
I'm for the buck a year plan.
What's the basis for the "1 buck per year" theory ? If it's to lower the # of licenses sold and decrease the revenue raised, that would certainly a means to that end. Which would in turn lower the entire revenue stream that the outdoor pursuits help to generate. The lack of trickle down economics would certainly be felt in the rural communities that so wholly depend on that revenue stream in order to stay in business. If there are 7 weekends in a deer season and the hunter tags out on the 3rd weekend of archery, he's not likely to return during the next 4 weekends. But if the "1 buck per year" agenda were in hopes of increasing buck sightings, I'd have to disagree with it only because I've never had an issue with finding a buck. 60% of my time is spent on public land and the other 40% is on private land but with the buddies I have, we're usually so close to each other that we don't need walkie-talkies .. which in reality, is worse than being bunched up on stand land. For some reason, when we know and like the person not too far from us, we accept it. But when someone comes by that we don't know or they set up a stand near by and you can see them, we get frustrated ??? A 100 acre private parcel has 4 guns on it .. 25 acres per gun .. A 500 acre public parcel with 10 guns on it .. 50 acres per gun .. yet a lot of people are against state land ? It never made sense to me .. especially after the 2nd day of the gun season ! After the 1st Saturday, most state land may as well be private. 2006 season (bow, gun, muzzleloader .. 60+ days or so ??) .. there were only 7 days that I didn't get to hunt at least the last hour of daylight ..  My point is that I see the hunters or lack thereof .. and I see the deer .. and very few deer-less days anymore .. These are the good 'ole days !

vivlamored

« Reply #21 on: Jul 24, 2007, 09:46 PM »
how many bucks do you need to kill. We get these licences now that are 3 feet long and full of tags. Take a look at the states around you with one buck limits. Don't be too proud to knock down a few does

JerryGeb

« Reply #22 on: Jul 25, 2007, 10:53 AM »
Just saw this

http://www.wetmtv.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=44103a12-c0d7-4289-b17e-e1e613cc6d4b

So now, what's the best all around rifle for deer that's not too much gun?

doctariAFC

« Reply #23 on: Jul 25, 2007, 02:11 PM »
Its official.....

Quote from: DEC Press Release
For Release: IMMEDIATE       Contact: Yancey Roy
Wednesday, July 25, 2007       (518) 402-8000

NEW LAW ALLOWS DEER HUNTERS TO USE RIFLES IN 3 COUNTIES
Chemung, Steuben, Yates regulation takes effect this year     

The governor has signed a new law that allows deer hunters to use rifles in three Southern Tier counties beginning this year, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) Commissioner Pete Grannis announced today.

Governor Eliot Spitzer approved the legislation, which allows rifle use for big-game hunting in Chemung, Steuben and Yates counties, Grannis said. It is similar to legislation enacted in 2005 for 10 counties in Central New York and the Southern Tier. However, this measure expires in one year and would have to be renewed in 2008 by state lawmakers.

DEC had urged the governor to sign the bill. The counties wanted the measure as a tool for deer herd management. Also, hunter safety statistics show rifles as safe as shotguns, the commissioner noted.

“The most important tool for deer herd management is hunting,”
Grannis said. “Many hunters prefer the accuracy of the rifle to hunt deer and bear. Further, the rifle has proven to be as safe an implement as the shotgun, as hunting related shooting accidents in rifle areas are no greater than in shotgun-only areas.”

The law will be in effect for the upcoming hunting season.
Regular Deer Season in the Southern Zone, including all of Chemung, Steuben, and Yates counties, runs from Nov. 17 to Dec. 9. Regular Bear Season in the Allegany Bear Range, including portions of Chemung and Steuben counties, runs from Nov. 24 to Dec.9; the rifle authorization applies to bear hunting in those portions of Chemung and Steuben.

Hunting accidents generally have been on the decline. The 2006 hunting season saw just 35 shooting incidents, the fourth lowest since records have been kept. During the 1960s, the incident rate was 19 incidents per 100,000 hunters. Since 2000, the incident rate is one-third of that, averaging 6.3 incidents per 100,000 hunters.

During the 2006-07 season, hunters statewide harvested 189,108 deer, about 8,900 more than the year before. Yates County – one of the counties covered by the new law – had the highest rate of harvest, at
10.4 deer per square mile.

"Beer is the living proof God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

venisonman

« Reply #24 on: Jul 25, 2007, 08:29 PM »
It is similar to legislation enacted in 2005 for 10 counties in Central New York and the Southern Tier. However, this measure expires in one year and would have to be renewed in 2008 by state lawmakers.

DID ANYBODY CATCH THIS LINE IN THE NEW LAW? WHY?
Genesis 9:2 The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea, they are given into your hands.

doctariAFC

« Reply #25 on: Jul 25, 2007, 09:27 PM »
It is similar to legislation enacted in 2005 for 10 counties in Central New York and the Southern Tier. However, this measure expires in one year and would have to be renewed in 2008 by state lawmakers.

DID ANYBODY CATCH THIS LINE IN THE NEW LAW? WHY?
Yes.  Because of "safety concerns" and "over-harvesting" potentials.  These counties were included in the original rifle bill, along with Chautauqua County, and all of them pulled out of the bill due to the sportsmen's concerns.

This gives them an out if accidents happen, and they can take the political "high road", by taking the legislative low road, I guess. 

Chautauqua still cannot get their act together on this one.  First they want it, then they don't, then in part of the county, and then not.

Sometimes we're our own worst enemies.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.