FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: NY Big Game Hunting Seasons - Saturday vs Monday Opener  (Read 5173 times)

doctariAFC

You decide.  Which one do you prefer, and why.

Currently a sportsman's resolution in the NYSCC would have this return of the Monday opener as a priority for the Council. 

What are YOUR thoughts.....
"Beer is the living proof God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

The Polish Pirate

Re: NY Big Game Hunting Seasons - Saturday vs Monday Opener
« Reply #1 on: Jul 24, 2007, 04:15 PM »
Start gun season on the 1st Monday after the 15th of November .. a lot of people use that time to do safety checks on their stands .. get their camp in order .. sight the gun in .. etc .. More people have a negative impact as a result of the Saturday opener. Local fund raising events see less money generated. In general, there was nothing wrong with a Monday opener and there are few things right with the Saturday start ..

vivlamored

• Gotta Love the Adirondacks
« Reply #2 on: Jul 24, 2007, 04:24 PM »
Start gun season on the 1st Monday after the 15th of November .. a lot of people use that time to do safety checks on their stands .. get their camp in order .. sight the gun in .. etc .. More people have a negative impact as a result of the Saturday opener. Local fund raising events see less money generated. In general, there was nothing wrong with a Monday opener and there are few things right with the Saturday start ..
I don't like the saturday opener.I like the monday opening because the weekend before i like to do my final prep get all my things in order make my rounds and see people that you don't see very often outside of deer season
Don't use your sick days when you are sick use them when the fish are biting. It all looks the same on your time card

crappie78

« Reply #3 on: Jul 24, 2007, 04:58 PM »
More hunters get into the woods on a SAT including our younger hunters.  Your stuff should be ready well in advance of that weekend.

irishjigger

• Hey Dad , sorry its not a rockbass !!
« Reply #4 on: Jul 24, 2007, 05:32 PM »
Saturday for sure ! I love the people that say Monday is better because I have more time to check my stand , and visit with Old Friends ? What  is the difference if you take a Thursday , Friday off , or a Monday Tuesday ? You are still taking two days off ? And less people come to a fund raiser on a Saturday than on a Monday ? Hogwash !! It is much easier to get people to work at a fund raiser on a day that they do not have to take time off from work . And what about the next generation of hunters ? In this day and age if your kid doesnt show up for school because he went hunting with his father and family they want to hang you ! Saturday openers allow this .
  Saturday opener in the Northern Zone for the past Century , ask them if they would like to see a Monday opener , then you had better duck! You think we take our hunting seriously in the Southern Zone head North some day , then most of you will stay south !
MIRC  NYRC 

We dont stop fishin because we get old , we get old because we stop fishin !!!

tughillmcd

« Reply #5 on: Jul 24, 2007, 06:30 PM »
I live on the border of northern and southern zones so I can hunt that weekend either way but many people don't get enough time to hunt with busy schedules that we all have and the Saturday opener adds 2 days to the hunting season. It is plain selfish and irrational to argue that time is needed to do your prepwork and expect others to miss out on actual hunting time while you do what should already be done. Not everyone is able to take the Monday opener off due to work and school schedules. Many people only get to hunt on weekends and that one may increase their hunting time dramatically due to other commitments.

As for your fund raisers, we are talking about hunting season not fund raiser season, they can have their fund raisers all year long, and they will adapt to the changes. The ones that hurt the most are the bars as people won't be spending all day Saturday and Sunday checking in on their old friends while getting hammered.

How many people here remember the no Sunday hunting line and shotguns only, now there is Sunday hunting, pistols, muzzle loaders and they are opening areas to rifle. The churches weren't happy with Sunday hunting, many people are opposed to anything other than shotguns so lets go backwards there too.  I don't hear you complaining about those changes.

And what about the next generation of hunters?

You got that right jigger. This is the most important reason. They are talking about lowering the age for big game licenses to 14 and you people want to take away 2 days they can hunt? For what, a fund raiser? So you can check your treestand and sight in your gun? Tell you what, leave the opener on Saturday and you just check you stand, sight in your gun and go the the fund raiser and you can start hunting on Monday if it make you feel better, but don't take away opportunities from those that will benefit most, ALL HUNTERS, not just a few. The change increases hunting opportunities for many people, and I feel the majority of people that object just don't want to share the woods with people that can't hunt Monday openers.

There are more reasons to leave it a Saturday opener with 2 additional hunting days than there is to go back to Monday, unless you own a bar!!!!!!!

cheeks

« Reply #6 on: Jul 24, 2007, 07:32 PM »
I prefer the Saturday opener.  I could write a long-winded diatribe as to why but it wouldn’t change anybodies minds anyway.  The bottom line is the Saturday opener suits me better. 8)

The Polish Pirate

« Reply #7 on: Jul 24, 2007, 07:41 PM »
I live on the border of northern and southern zones so I can hunt that weekend either way but many people don't get enough time to hunt with busy schedules that we all have and the Saturday opener adds 2 days to the hunting season. It is plain selfish and irrational to argue that time is needed to do your prepwork and expect others to miss out on actual hunting time while you do what should already be done. Not everyone is able to take the Monday opener off due to work and school schedules. Many people only get to hunt on weekends and that one may increase their hunting time dramatically due to other commitments.

As for your fund raisers, we are talking about hunting season not fund raiser season, they can have their fund raisers all year long, and they will adapt to the changes. The ones that hurt the most are the bars as people won't be spending all day Saturday and Sunday checking in on their old friends while getting hammered.

How many people here remember the no Sunday hunting line and shotguns only, now there is Sunday hunting, pistols, muzzle loaders and they are opening areas to rifle. The churches weren't happy with Sunday hunting, many people are opposed to anything other than shotguns so lets go backwards there too.  I don't hear you complaining about those changes.

You got that right jigger. This is the most important reason. They are talking about lowering the age for big game licenses to 14 and you people want to take away 2 days they can hunt? For what, a fund raiser? So you can check your treestand and sight in your gun? Tell you what, leave the opener on Saturday and you just check you stand, sight in your gun and go the the fund raiser and you can start hunting on Monday if it make you feel better, but don't take away opportunities from those that will benefit most, ALL HUNTERS, not just a few. The change increases hunting opportunities for many people, and I feel the majority of people that object just don't want to share the woods with people that can't hunt Monday openers.

There are more reasons to leave it a Saturday opener with 2 additional hunting days than there is to go back to Monday, unless you own a bar!!!!!!!
Throughout your diatribe of me, you didn't mention if you knew of any new recruitment into the sport as a result of Sunday hunting, Pistol hunting, Rifle areas, etc .. ?? Pistol hunters were the rifle hunters (who either converted to or carried a pistol in addition to their rifle) who couldn't hunt deer with a gun on Sunday until several years ago. Throughout all the changes, license sales #'s continue to decline despite all of the "positive" impacts you've noted that have occured in recent years. I can say for a fact though that I do know many individuals that purchase a license with the intention of hunting and that is directly related to the fraternal bonding, rural travel, marksmanship (ham / turkey shoots - ie. sighting in the gun) etc .. And many of these guys haven't gotten a deer in years yet it doesn't make or break their love of the sport. Their selfishness is that they like to socialize with like-minded individuals and have gone about it in this manner ( again .. I'll give you an example .. the weekend before gun started on Monday) for a couple of generations at this point. Most guys truly are not die-hard hunters but if socializing in your mind is deemed "getting hammered". then you have a point .. but if you don't drive "hammered" .. who cares ?? (p.s. - getting hammered isn't illegal btw !) Living in Pulaski, I would imagine you have noted the economic impact that the industry of fishing has had in your region ? The "bar and grill" owners, stores, gas stations, etc .. probably don't mind people getting hammered or spending money on whatever they feel they need as that is what makes the world go round ! As far as younger hunters, if they have a desire to go hunting, they are going to go hunting on Monday. A lot of school districts have staff development days set for that Monday ( which is sort of like the churches holding things holy .. it's still a big deal in the countryside as to who got a buck, etc .. ) and the schools where I live realize they're better off doing their staff day when it coincides with gun season. Missing school is missing school .. regardless of what they were doing while not in school. The only way to get youngsters involved in hunting is to take them. You can babble on and on about it but unless you actually do it, you're just talking nonsense. Again, I can speak from experience because I take kids hunting a lot , put them in known hotspots .. and ensure they have the opportunity to be successful. I take them scouting ( not just my own kids either !) setting up treestands and shooting lanes and I work with them year round .. not just the 3rd Saturday in November .. Being an outdoorsman doesn't just happen .. hasn't for a good 20 years at this point .. there are too many distractions to draw them away from it .. I do agree though that by 16, most kids have missed the bus if they haven't started small game hunting at this point. Tug and Irish .. how many 12-15 yo's have you taken out for Spring turkey the past few years ? That's the gut check that sportsmen need to ask themselves ?? If you don't have one, find one .. !

CNY Lee

« Reply #8 on: Jul 24, 2007, 08:26 PM »
Saturday is much better for people with families and tighter schedules. If you sight your guns in on Sat & Sun and then hunt Monday you're a weekend hunter and the Saturday opener should suite you just fine. You owe it to the deer and other hunters to be ready weeks before you hunt.

trapper2003

« Reply #9 on: Jul 24, 2007, 09:04 PM »
at first i didn't like going from monday to sat. but then i realized how seelfish i was a lot of young hunters would have ben in school, alot of other hunters would have had to work,not everyone has the ability to take a vacation that week.i say leave it sat and lets all enjoy a great opener every year with as many other sportsman as we can ;D

tughillmcd

« Reply #10 on: Jul 24, 2007, 09:14 PM »
Throughout your diatribe of me, you didn't mention if you knew of any new recruitment into the sport as a result of Sunday hunting, Pistol hunting, Rifle areas, etc .. ?? Pistol hunters were the rifle hunters (who either converted to or carried a pistol in addition to their rifle) who couldn't hunt deer with a gun on Sunday until several years ago. Throughout all the changes, license sales #'s continue to decline despite all of the "positive" impacts you've noted that have occured in recent years. I can say for a fact though that I do know many individuals that purchase a license with the intention of hunting and that is directly related to the fraternal bonding, rural travel, marksmanship (ham / turkey shoots - ie. sighting in the gun) etc .. And many of these guys haven't gotten a deer in years yet it doesn't make or break their love of the sport. Their selfishness is that they like to socialize with like-minded individuals and have gone about it in this manner ( again .. I'll give you an example .. the weekend before gun started on Monday) for a couple of generations at this point. Most guys truly are not die-hard hunters but if socializing in your mind is deemed "getting hammered". then you have a point .. but if you don't drive "hammered" .. who cares ?? (p.s. - getting hammered isn't illegal btw !) Living in Pulaski, I would imagine you have noted the economic impact that the industry of fishing has had in your region ? The "bar and grill" owners, stores, gas stations, etc .. probably don't mind people getting hammered or spending money on whatever they feel they need as that is what makes the world go round ! As far as younger hunters, if they have a desire to go hunting, they are going to go hunting on Monday. A lot of school districts have staff development days set for that Monday ( which is sort of like the churches holding things holy .. it's still a big deal in the countryside as to who got a buck, etc .. ) and the schools where I live realize they're better off doing their staff day when it coincides with gun season. Missing school is missing school .. regardless of what they were doing while not in school. The only way to get youngsters involved in hunting is to take them. You can babble on and on about it but unless you actually do it, you're just talking nonsense. Again, I can speak from experience because I take kids hunting a lot , put them in known hotspots .. and ensure they have the opportunity to be successful. I take them scouting ( not just my own kids either !) setting up treestands and shooting lanes and I work with them year round .. not just the 3rd Saturday in November .. Being an outdoorsman doesn't just happen .. hasn't for a good 20 years at this point .. there are too many distractions to draw them away from it .. I do agree though that by 16, most kids have missed the bus if they haven't started small game hunting at this point. Tug and Irish .. how many 12-15 yo's have you taken out for Spring turkey the past few years ? That's the gut check that sportsmen need to ask themselves ?? If you don't have one, find one .. !
Hunting is hunting. I do my share of chewing the fat with the boys and we have no problem doing it at lunch or at night. I have hunted with my nephews and friends kids in the past and now take my son out with me and he won't be able to hunt for at least 6 more years, if they reduce the age to 14, but I know people that  love to spend the extra 2 days in the woods. We are taking about hunting not sitting around camp. People could sit around camp any time, but this is an additional 2 days hunting for many. And as for socializing with like minded individuals for 2 days prior to actually hunting, I do that every day, because I know like minded people other than those at camp. Those traditions were born from the fact that they couldn't start hunting on Saturday, not because they wanted to spend 2 days prior to the season. If that is needed maybe they should change the opener to Monday after Thanksgiving so they can have a 4 day weekend to socialize! Or better yet, go to camp the weekend before opener, socialize to their hearts content, check stand, sight in guns, go to benefits and be ready to hunt the next weekend. And I bet while socializing many of them have commented that they can't wait to get into the woods.

As for pistol hunters, I never hunted with a pistol until they changed the rules I borrowed a 357 barrel  for my contender just for deer in southern zone. I have since purchased a 45/70 barrel for that. At that time I lived in Rochester and only hunted Northern zone maybe 1 weekend a year.

I will wager most hunters in the southern zone do not go to camp, but will hunt from home, either close to where they live or they get up in the middle of the night and drive to their hunting area for the day.

I would love to take some kids spring turkey hunting and as soon as I get time to go spring turkey hunting myself I will be sure to invite some. We all don't have the time to take off to hunt, and weekends are sometimes the only option for many, the extra 2 days should not be taken away.

tughillmcd

« Reply #11 on: Jul 24, 2007, 09:17 PM »
at first i didn't like going from monday to sat. but then i realized how seelfish i was a lot of young hunters would have ben in school, alot of other hunters would have had to work,not everyone has the ability to take a vacation that week.i say leave it sat and lets all enjoy a great opener every year with as many other sportsman as we can ;D
Amen Trapper,

Eye Hunter

« Reply #12 on: Jul 24, 2007, 10:01 PM »
I think the Sat opener is good for the youngsters to get them in the woods with dad and grampa, so they can experience the hunt. I know what it was like for me, laying awake half the night and and thinking about the 8 pointer that we might see come through the hedge row, and then sitting on the stone wall in the dark and hearing the critters in the leaves. but I had to play hookie from school to do it .So yes I would have to say the sat opener is a good thing. We need the young people involved in our sport of hunting.

kayak2fish

« Reply #13 on: Jul 24, 2007, 10:32 PM »
Saturday opener for the kids with only them allowed to carry a gun, following Monday opener for everybody else. That's what I think.

tughillmcd

« Reply #14 on: Jul 25, 2007, 05:34 AM »
Quoted from New York Bowhunters Inc http://www.newyorkbowhunters.com/New_Folder/future.htm

Future Goals

Along with Our Continued Efforts we are Striving for the Following:

1. Southern Zone, late, archery/muzzleloading season - create an archery-only season

2. Expand early archery-only seasons
* Southern zone - October 1st

* Northern zone - September 1st

3. Lower junior archery age from 14 to 12

4. Establish a set opening date for the Southern Zone “regular” season on Monday of Thanksgiving week

5. Establish license parity between resident and non-resident big game hunters

6. Change the license year from October 1st to an earlier date

7. Allow for use of DMP’s (Deer Management Permits) during the early archery season in the Northern Zone

8. To continue to develop adaptive gear for physically challenged hunters while educating the public on its use

I am not attempting to divide our ranks on this issue but this is the brain child of New York Bowhunters inc, the same guys that were silent on the Grannis nomination (as was the NYSCC). and they not only want to move the opener to a Monday, but the Monday of Thanksgiving week, not the first Monday after the 15th.  They would also increase bow season by opening it on October first, making bow season 7 weeks long, when gun season is just over 4.

Just what we need, bowhunters fighting gun hunters over the Saturday opener.

I also wrote the NYSCC to find out their position on this and why. I will post the response when I get it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.