FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 513102 times)

skinny40

Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #1905 on: Mar 20, 2018, 12:01 PM »
I use a big bale of pro-mix bx. 3.8 cu.ft. 1 cu.ft earthworm castings. 1/2 cu.ft perlite. 6 cups of espoma bio tone starter plus. 3 cups alfalfa meal. 3 cups kelp meal. 3 cups crab meal. 1 cup soft rock phosphate. 1 cup gypsum. 1 cup crushed oyster shells. 1 cup azomite. 3/4 cup sul po mag......mix it up well and water.....let sit for a month or it will burn the plants.....its cheaper and better than about any soil you can get. Has all the bactaria and food the plants will ever need. Just add water. I might add more castings sometimes....worm farm makes me tons of it and gotta put it somewhere.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1906 on: Mar 20, 2018, 12:54 PM »
Ed dont use any mirical grow potting mix and never use anything with moisture retaing crystals..  Its all chemicals...
See if your wast management sells compost..  ours does and its cheep...
Im lucky enough to mix mine 50/50 with sheep shpoop..  And a couple bags of perlite...
Or buy bags of compost and mix it with bags of top soil and perlite.. 
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1907 on: Mar 20, 2018, 12:58 PM »
Lots of color coming..

288 patio  tomatos in 1/2 gallon pots. ....

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1908 on: Mar 20, 2018, 03:41 PM »

I like it, I'll add the sand for sure! The moisture control has pearlite in it, and I've had good luck with it in Lisa's potted garden, but I guess some more couldn't hurt! Lowes got it on sale yet?

Not yet. I don't use MG products either. Lowes has other potting soils that don't have the moisture control and fertilizers in it. Hence, the sand and perlite. I do use miracle grow on my flowers and it works very well. But, not on the edibles.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #1909 on: Mar 20, 2018, 06:14 PM »

Consider me educated, All I've ever done in pots is flowering plants so I guess I never looked deeply into the content of MG. Thanks guys  ;)

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #1910 on: Mar 21, 2018, 09:21 AM »
Toga, now that I have time, here's my method.

I always start my seeds in 6-packs like you'd buy plants in at the garden center. I use a good quality starter mix level to the top when dry.  Then I thoroughly wet them in. Once the water has soaked through I add the seeds.

Using the eraser end of a pencil, I make a hole in the center of each pod about 1/2" deep. Using tweezers, I put at least 3 seeds in each hole and lightly tamp the starter mix around the hole to cover the seeds.

I put the 6-packs in trays, cover them with clear plastic, and put them under a light in a warm place. Don't touch them again until the sprouts touch the plastic.

Now the work begins with daily watering and temperature control.

Once the second leaves appear, I thin the plants. I leave the healthiest looking alone, and gently pull the others from each pod. Not being one to waste, I transplant the culled sprouts to new 6-packs. They usually survive and do quite well.

Theoretically, I triple my initial planting and end up with enough plants to fill in garden losses and give away to friends.

I move them into the outside green house around mid-April, once the night temps tend to stay above freezing. If it's a cold night, I heat the greenhouse with a 300w light bulb that we call the midnight sun.

I hope this helps, and good luck.  ;D

Never did plant any seed. My daughter came home from her school garden club with some sugar snap peas to plant, may plant some other seeds and see what happens. If i need to, i can buy plants from the nursery to plant the week before Memorial Day

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1911 on: Mar 21, 2018, 05:41 PM »
First flowers showed up at Lowes today. Easter lilies and hydrangeas. The vendor has put off the scheduled deliveries of other spring plants for another 2 weeks. Normally they would have been in 2 weeks ago.

They froze a whole bunch of them last year.
Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1912 on: Mar 23, 2018, 03:40 PM »
Filling 6pk trays/flats. They go inside the machine empty and come out full..
Then there put on carts and put in the other houses to be planted next week...
I did almost 400 trays today and only need  800 more by next week...... ;D

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1913 on: Mar 23, 2018, 04:43 PM »
So if theres 36 cells (holes to be planted) per flat X 1200 flats thats only 43200 plugs/plants to be planted in just those....      :P

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1914 on: Mar 23, 2018, 05:34 PM »
Whew! And I obsess over my 200 square feet of garden :-\

That's production right there Dom.

Rg

drowndin dots

« Reply #1915 on: Mar 23, 2018, 07:13 PM »

Bet that sun has been feeling good Dom!

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1916 on: Mar 23, 2018, 07:17 PM »
Bet that sun has been feeling good Dom!

Wanna see my farmers tan??         8) 8) 8) 8)

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #1917 on: Mar 23, 2018, 07:43 PM »
LMFAO!!!  :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:
Dare ya!  :laugh:
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

drowndin dots

« Reply #1918 on: Mar 24, 2018, 12:39 AM »
   Wanna see my farmers tan??         8) 8) 8) 8)
:o :o :o

iceman260

« Reply #1919 on: Mar 24, 2018, 08:48 AM »
Raquettedacker quite the operation you got going. I tried my luck at gerdening last year, deer ate almost everything. They started with hot pepper plants then moved on to bell pepper plants, after that it was green tomatoes and then the plants . Only thing I got from garden was zuchinni ond green beans.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.