FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: And....The Battle Begins!  (Read 9835 times)

O

Re: And....The Battle Begins!
« Reply #15 on: Jul 10, 2017, 03:43 PM »
Don't set traps for them - it only attracts them to your area.   We sold the traps for years, and used them at home too - never helped one bit.  The milky spore is pricey, and not always is able to get established.  Spaying or dusting Sevin works.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #16 on: Jul 10, 2017, 04:20 PM »
Are you using Seven on your lawn? Not on your vegetable garden I hope.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

O

« Reply #17 on: Jul 10, 2017, 07:46 PM »
You can apply Sevin to your lawn and your vegetable garden.  Label says you can apply up to one day prior to harvest.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #18 on: Jul 10, 2017, 08:22 PM »
Just use  Rotenone Dust....   Get a duster and puff it around... ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotenone 
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

taxid

« Reply #19 on: Jul 10, 2017, 10:47 PM »
Recently on vacation I saw bits of leaves falling from the trees. Pieces everywhere. Turns out the trees were loaded with gypsy moths munching on leaves. I've never seen that many in my life. They were everywhere.

I read that part of the reason for the numbers were the dry summer they had last year. Apparently there is a mold or fungus that controls their numbers unless the weather is dry.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #20 on: Jul 11, 2017, 03:28 PM »
The other day at work, I talked a very nice lady out of buying a Bag-aBug trap. She opted for Neem oil instead. I explained how the traps attract beetles from far away rather than helping eliminate the local residents.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #21 on: Jul 11, 2017, 03:55 PM »
The other day at work, I talked a very nice lady out of buying a Bag-aBug trap. She opted for Neem oil instead. I explained how the traps attract beetles from far away rather than helping eliminate the local residents.

Rg

You're such a nice guy.

8)

zwiggles

« Reply #22 on: Jul 11, 2017, 04:19 PM »
Are you using Seven on your lawn? Not on your vegetable garden I hope.

Rg

Why is that? I'm not a huge fan of the stuff, but my father swears by it. I used to spray lawns for a landscaping company, and I hate killing bugs now. It's hard to kill the bad bugs without killing the beneficial bugs as well.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #23 on: Jul 11, 2017, 04:53 PM »
"lemmings need to be directed to the sea."

I'm not a fan of any pesticide. Seven  I would use on my lawn I guess. But not on anything I'd eat. Same for Rotenone, or nematodes or any of that stuff. Manufacturers claim that it's harmless within a certain amount of time. But, the side warnings are pretty scary.

I figure I've done enough experimenting with my brain cells over the years.

Rg

taxid

« Reply #24 on: Jul 11, 2017, 05:08 PM »
Rotenone has been implicated in possibly causing Parkinson's disease. It's illegal to use as a piscicide in some states apparently because they fear it will contaminate an aquifer in states where surface water is closely tied to the ground water, as it stays active longer in cold water.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

esox_xtm

• It's SHOWTIME!
« Reply #25 on: Jul 11, 2017, 07:02 PM »
Bah! Anything causes everything.... I'f you're eating apples or peppers from the supermarket they're the worst. I always wash everything in warm to hot water (even "triple washed whatever").

Seven? My Mom used it in the garden for decades. I'm not much worse for the exposure, certainly I brought more upon myself in my early "adulthood". Don't get me wrong. I'm not a blissfully ignorant applicator of pest/herbicides. I avoid it when I can but when necessary, well, "get back Loretta!".

Several years back we had an infestation of pine sawfly larvae. I went out for, oh I don't remember now, but 4 -5 days in a row and used a garden hose to knock 'em off the trees. By the time it took for them to find the tree and inch back up I think they starved to death. Anyway, all gone.

I don't know that it applies here but if you have the Japanese lady Beetle or Boxelder thing going in the fall the fix is a product called Buggslayer. It is absolutely amazing. The poison part is pyrethrin (a very "natural" pesticide sourced from Chrysanthemums). The claim to fame is some sort of "microcrystalline additive" that cuts the little buggers feet so the poison can enter because they really don't eat anything you can apply the poison to. Very, very effective. Hose end sprayer on the house in mid to late September, non-staining and no more bugs. Lasts through rain (I don't know how) and persists through the Spring. One application a year at the right time does it. A little OT but worth passing along.

Plain old soapy water works on lots of pests too.

Rotenone? Sprinkle/spray it on the water and go pick up fish....  ::)  Our DNR applies it selectively to harvest carp from overrun systems.

Not Fish???      Not an Option!!!                                                                  Go Packers !!! 

Mac Attack

« Reply #26 on: Jul 11, 2017, 07:12 PM »

I figure I've done enough experimenting with my brain cells over the years.

Rg

Not to mention, the liver and kidneys Bob.
I agree.
Better living thru chemicals is no longer an option.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #27 on: Jul 11, 2017, 07:28 PM »
Rotenone....Seven....I, think I'll pass.

Rg

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #28 on: Jul 12, 2017, 08:06 PM »
I do what my grandmother used to do.  I walk up and down the rows with a ten quart pail and a paint stir stick. Whack every bug and beetle I see into the pail. Once I'm through the garden, add a half a cup of kerosene and drop in a match.  No more bugs.  No chemicals.     ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #29 on: Jul 13, 2017, 03:47 AM »
I found that if I mix just a teaspoon of dawn with water in a hand sprayer and squirt the little buggers. They slow down big time. Then I've just been picking them off the plants and dropping them in a coffee can with an inch of water and some more dawn. Kills them dead.

They must have gotten used to the Neem oil. It doesn't seem to deter them at all any more. Good news is, they're numbers seem to be reducing.
Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.