MyFishFinder Tips and Techniques > Trolling

trolling question?

<< < (2/5) > >>

Cider:
If you are trolling for walleye any bottom bouncing technique is great.  Three-way rigging with a swivel and dropper weight designed for "walking" the bottom.  You could use live bait or crankbaits or jigs.  Lindy rigs will work great for this.

As far as trolling for pickerel?  I don't really know.  Most of my pickerel have been taken on top water action with casting cranks, buzz baits, and plugs like hulas, jitterbugs, torpedos, rapalas, rebels, plastic mice etc.

Never really heard of people trolling for pickerel/pike before.  I'm sure it is probably done though.  They are roving predators/hunters and I would think that the best thing for them is casting the stuff I already mentioned which imitates wounded baitfish and small rodents and the like.

Maybe try trolling edges of weed beds were pike/pickerel will be suspended and waiting for juicy morsels to come by.  A big flutter spoon with a single point hook on it would probably work nicely.

Anyone troll for pickerel/pike?  Esox - got any advice on the big toothy creatures??  How about you Grumpymoe?

unreel:
Mark, good stuff by Cider and Barleydog,  in addtion if you're flat lining ( just a lure behind the boat) first check your speed and the lure action right along side the boat, before letting out line.  You mentioned 50' back,  with a motor running you might want to try different distances back.  Try stripping the line off by hand so that you know how far back you are, that way you can repeat the distance that works.  If you have a baitcaster you can count each time the line guide goes back and forth.   Adding distance, speed, the type of lure, adding weight to the line will change the depth your lure will be.  Good luck!  8)

TJ:
Trolling for Pike is an excellent way to cover a lot of water. Spoons, jigs, stickbaits and Shad rap will bring a hit.
Troll the same speed or faster for Pike as you would for Walleye. A sudden 2-3 mph burst of the throtle, for a few seconds will bring a hit big time. If you want to flat line without the expence of lead core, Fireline is the next best thing. Because of the strength of diameter, lures dive deeper with less line out.

mark mercer:
i was told by someone that fireline is bad for trolling, is that true?

TJ:
The question is, why is it not good for trolling? Did he give you a reason?
I guess the argument could be, no stretch in your line=better feel, better hook sets?
Your lure sinks faster= more fising time, less line out behind the boat?
2-3 times higher test strength then mono=less hooks lost?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version