MyFishFinder Tips and Techniques > Trolling

Using Sea Anchor or drift sock

(1/3) > >>

lorentec:
Just got a starcraft 19ft boat and thinking about using it to troll for trout and salmon. I think the slowest the motor(4.3L merc)will go is about 3 mph. Has anyone used any drift socks or sea anchors to slow thier trolloing down? How much slower could I expect .      .5-1.5 mph???  Thanks!!!!

Barleydog:
Lorentec,  I use a collapesable drift sock that was designed by a boat top manufacturer in Oregon.  It's a unique design that can be copied by any boat upholstery shop around your area.  These socks work great and store even easier.  They will slow your rig down about a mph for each sock.  I usually use them for open ocean drifting for large bottom fish like halibut, but have used them on my buddy's boat trolling for lakers. 
Just curious, are you trolling with your main engine with such a large boat?  Do you have a kicker motor at your disposal? or a bracket for an additional motor?  19 ft. is a big enough rig to use an optional trolling/"kicker" motor on, if you have the $$$. ;)

eyedoktr:
If you plan to troll, I would strongly suggest buying a trolling bag vs. a drift sock(drift anchor). The trolling bags are made of a higher quality material and will better withstand the pull. While trolling there is a high stress on all seams and where the straps are sewn on to the bag. I have seen drift socks pull apart while being used for trolling.

You could always just pull a couple of 5 gallon pails alongside the boat. They actually work very well.

slipbob:

--- Quote from: eyedoktr on Aug 25, 2004, 05:56 AM ---
You could always just pull a couple of 5 gallon pails alongside the boat. They actually work very well.

--- End quote ---

The 5 gallon pail boat drag method has produced many times and is pretty economical too.   ;D   When I was a kid we used them on Lake Ontario to slow down the boat while trolling lakers and they also doubled as an on boat pee bucket too. 

Fisher50:
I troll with a drift sock, with pretty good results.  90 Horse Evinrude on a 17 1/2 ft Sylvan.  I hook the sock on the bow eye.  It deploys under the bow of the boat.  It stays out of the way up there.   Has little effect on boat handling.  Slows me down to a nice Walleye troll.  I often troll to a spot, then drift.  I never have to move the bag.  It's working on the drift, as soon as I cut the motor. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version