FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: It lives again  (Read 3303 times)

Doubles Shooter

It lives again
« on: Sep 17, 2019, 10:44 AM »
I've had this 1978 Johnson 9.9 since my father died 20 years ago. It sat unused on his cellar for at least 15 years before that. The motor was used maybe a half dozen times since he bought it in 1979.
I dug it out earlier this year because I've been fishing a hp restricted lake only to find the mice had a field day under the cover. They chewed almost every wire. I looked again last week and figured I could repair the wires after all. I installed a carb kit which wasn't really needed. You could eat out of the carb. The 41 year old impeller was as soft and flexible as the new one. Changed lower unit oil and found no sign of water. I don't think this motor has more than 20-25 hours on it. Slapped it on the boat in a drum of water. It started on the second pull. Hooray!!! I had to close the needle valve 1/8th turn to get it idleing. It purrs. Just have to wash the crud off it.
Now I have a mate for my 1978 35hp on my 1978 Starcraft. Love the old stuff.

Doubles Shooter

Re: It lives again
« Reply #1 on: Sep 19, 2019, 01:51 PM »
Well, I put it on the back of the boat and put it in a lake for the first time in many, many years. It just purred. It idled down to give me sub 1mph trolling with no caughing or loading up. Smooth through mid range and top. I was getting nervous working on it. Things went too smooth. When that happens, I'm looking over my shoulder for that bear to bite my back side.
Here's a shot of it chillin in the shade when I got back.

zwiggles

« Reply #2 on: Sep 19, 2019, 02:04 PM »
Nice job! Looks like it should be great for trolling.

As an aside, I could not figure out how the “99” horse motor was so much smaller then the 35...... now I see it’s a 9.9hp motor, haha.

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Sep 19, 2019, 02:29 PM »
Nice!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #4 on: Sep 19, 2019, 02:37 PM »
Nice job! Looks like it should be great for trolling.

As an aside, I could not figure out how the “99” horse motor was so much smaller then the 35...... now I see it’s a 9.9hp motor, haha.
It will probably only be used on a couple hp restricted lakes for trout. That old 35hp will troll all day at .9-1.5 mph all day. Great motor.

Johnnh

« Reply #5 on: Oct 20, 2019, 11:12 AM »
Nice set up
It's good to see the old reliable motors still running

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.