FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Silver carp on the Tippe  (Read 2903 times)

rivereddy

Silver carp on the Tippe
« on: Sep 12, 2017, 09:12 AM »
Whenever I get a new fishing pole, I feel like I've got to catch a fish with it the first time out.  (Who's superstitious?) So I headed up to Oakdale dam which is about as close to guaranteed fish night as anyplace.  The river didn't disappoint and the rod was properly christened with smallies,  cats and a few bluegill and a 12 pound silver carp.  Nothing much to report took place until the DNR showed up with their shock sampling boat.  When they popped the water with juice just below the rock pile, all heck broke loose.  It looked like the video of the Illinois River.  Silver carp came flying out of the river like popcorn from a popper with no lid.  It is simply astounding how many of those fish are in the river.  The boat was about 200 feet or so away from where I was fishing and had no effect on the fish where I was.  While they were shocking, I caught a smally and a decent channel cat.  All in all, an interesting day.

fish on,

rivereddy

bigr

Re: Silver carp on the Tippe
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12, 2017, 01:21 PM »
what were they surveying? Anything specific?

bherr24

« Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2017, 09:57 PM »
Ive caught a couple this year that hit a crappie jig and have snagged several others while trying to walleye fish. I cant stand em, a couple times i just about got spooled by the ones that were snagged.

bigr

« Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2017, 08:49 AM »
It is unfortunate they are here but as they spread more and more people become aware of them and hopefully a meat market or some other kind of use will be created. As soon as some one can figure out a way to make money from them it will happen. Could be big for commercial fishermen in the future. Fertilizer, food or medicine. Just got to get the cost down or demand up. They are excellent table fare but are so boney that most fishermen wont target them to eat. Pike have nothing on the silver fish as far as bones go.

rivereddy

« Reply #4 on: Sep 13, 2017, 09:34 AM »
I didn't get the details, but the DNR was out in full force.  In addition to the shock/sampling crew in the boat, there were several other
crews seining the bottom for invertebrates.  The question I had for them involved the handling of snagged Asian carp.  State law says that
all foul hooked fish must be returned to the water as snagging is illegal.  State law also says it is illegal to return an Asian carp to the water
alive.  What to do?  It's a classic case of the law needing to catch up with a rapidly changing situation.  Their response was that COs
wouldn't write anyone up if the snagged fish were one of the invasive carp species.  They also said that many, many, fishermen had asked them the same question.  As I dealt with the big one I hooked, you'd better best bet that I asked the half dozen or so DNR folk watching me
what I should do with it.......

fish on,

rivereddy

bigr

« Reply #5 on: Sep 13, 2017, 11:13 AM »
The real grey area is when you are actually caught trying to snag an Asian carp. Sure a Co will likely not cite you when he sees what it is you've snagged but try getting out of a ticket when you don't have one on and your jerking a treble hook below a dam. At this time I wouldn't intentionally try for them nor would I kill or leave one on the bank. To many Co's that are not fishermen and only go by the version of the law they think they understand. This is not a knock at our Co's. It is what it is.

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Sep 13, 2017, 06:25 PM »
they are thiick in there and have been for several years.  its a shame science cant come up with a answer.  i read an article that said one was caught in lake michigan. if so they will infest all the great lakes in 10- 20 years.  can you imagine how many of those fish could live in the great lakes! 

Tim,

Do you have a link for that article or can tell me where you read it? I believe you but want to read it.

Thanks!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

MC_angler

« Reply #7 on: Sep 14, 2017, 08:19 AM »
no i didnt save the link taxi sorry.  it was some news paper article up that way somewhere.  they said the carp where found past the electric barriers.

i dont think any barriers can stop these carp.  im sure there are some evil hateful people that would(and surly have already) transport them. unfortunately nothing can be done about that kind of stuff.  just finding a use for them is a giving up strategy, and wont slow the spread at all.  a chemical solution is the only way i can see that irradiation would be feasible.  south side of ft wayne there is a swamp that connects the wabash river with the maumee river.  in a high water event they say it could be breached by these carp.  that would inject erie with them too.  if it hasnt already!

the future dont look good in this area of the fishing world, any way you look at it.

Past the barrier does not equal "in Lake Michigan"

There was 1 adult carp found past the barrier. It was in the river, not all the way to Lake Michigan

The Eagle Marsh you referenced had a barrier erected to prevent carp from jumping between watersheds during a high water event

http://www.asiancarp.us/news/EagleMarshBerm.htm

Chemical solution is not really that feasible, as rivers are contiguous and flowing. If you poison a stretch of river, it's not 100% effective, and then there's still a big population downstream, which will colonize the poisoned stretch in short order. And poisoning hundreds of hundreds of miles of river is not something that would ever happen, because those chemicals do not discriminate, and would kill all fish.

Eradication of aquatic invasive species is pretty much impossible, which is why so many people are trying to focus on prevention in the first place.

taxid

« Reply #8 on: Sep 14, 2017, 08:59 AM »
MC Angler thank you once again for the good information. Glad to hear they haven't made it into Lake Michigan.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Ice_Mike

« Reply #9 on: Sep 17, 2017, 04:17 PM »
I know a lot of rod and reel fisherman don't like bowfishing.
With that said we have been taking Asian Carp out of our waters by the barrel loads. Last weekend we shot a them at oakdale dam. This past Friday night we filled a barrel from the Wabash river.
Are bowfishermen making a difference? Probably not, but I hope so!

bigr

« Reply #10 on: Sep 18, 2017, 05:01 AM »
Ice Mike I don't know what your doing with the carcus but you should take the time to atleast cut the loin out of the fish. That strip of meat is totally boneless. Only takes a few seconds to cut  that piece from above the ribs to the tail. Good eats.

Ice_Mike

« Reply #11 on: Sep 18, 2017, 11:47 AM »
I use them to fertilize my garden.

taxid

« Reply #12 on: Sep 19, 2017, 09:05 AM »
Ice Mike I don't know what your doing with the carcus but you should take the time to atleast cut the loin out of the fish. That strip of meat is totally boneless. Only takes a few seconds to cut  that piece from above the ribs to the tail. Good eats.

Supposed to be a white meat unlike our common carp. Do you find that to be true?

MC_angler

« Reply #13 on: Sep 19, 2017, 10:21 AM »
Yes, it's very white, firm flesh. Excellent eating. I've had several times

bigr

« Reply #14 on: Sep 19, 2017, 11:10 AM »
Many of us that have eating Asian carp would argue they are the best fresh water fish in Indiana. The problem is the bones. If your one that doesn't mind bones and fork the meat from the bones you must give them a try. Don't freeze, the meat can get soft. Fillet and put on ice and they will stay real firm.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.