FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Making lemonade from Lemons; Shad + Trout!  (Read 2092 times)

stripernut

Making lemonade from Lemons; Shad + Trout!
« on: May 31, 2014, 12:55 PM »
Will, my Father and I planned a trip to the Merrimack for some striper fishing yesterday and the night before my father bails out and so we can't tow the boat... GRRRR! So, Will and I had not made it out for trout yet and we decide to hit the Millers, to fly fish for some trout. We were starting out in the middle of the day, not a good time to fish, so I suggest we check out the Conn. River and see if the shad were hitting. So with both fly rod and spinning we whale on them for hours and land over 2 dozen with both of us landing some big hens... We could not make it to the ocean, but the ocean came to us! By the time we were done with the shad we could only pick up a couple trout before the weather rolled in... After the storm the trout got lock jaw, not at all what I was expecting... But with the arms still tiered from the shad we did not care...

And a little video of a smaller one I landed;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSmP9ePi_NQ&feature=youtu.be
All in all a good time, may not have been as good as whaling on a bunch of stripers, but great all the same!

MrE1979

• If it was easy they would call it catching.
Re: Making lemonade from Lemons; Shad + Trout!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 04:13 PM »
Looks like you had a good time and caught some nice fish to boot.  Just a heads up I can tow a boat if that situation arises again.  I'm itchin (not due to poison ivy) to get back out on the Q with you for some more nite fishin. 

Will love the commando look.  Is that a hint of a smile I see under it?
It is MY responsibility as a fisherman to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now.  Help make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day.

Jschumacher

• Fish often. It's a way of life. Life Member NAFC.
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 08:36 PM »
Nice job guys. I like shad fishin. With the right gear they are a lot of fun. Haven't done it in a couple years now. Use to go right at the base of the fish ladder at Turners fall. Non stop action when they are in there thick. Got my boat all set finally ran it today and its good to go. Flounda and Stripa next weekend.
I fish every chance I get and enjoy every time I fish. They call it fishing not catchin

Member of The GODS

BOULDERDASH

« Reply #3 on: Jun 01, 2014, 06:02 PM »
Hey, Allen who is that hot Muslim chic I keep seeing you with? ;D ;D ;D .
I got to say I love shad fishing especially when you get big hen that screams drag .

stripernut

« Reply #4 on: Jun 01, 2014, 06:25 PM »
If they made a "sun shield" that fit me I would be wearing one to... But I can not wear "fits most", even before I put a some extra weight in the mid section... Melanoma is not something to take lightly... I would rather fall through thin ice than get it...

BOULDERDASH

« Reply #5 on: Jun 01, 2014, 07:23 PM »
If they made a "sun shield" that fit me I would be wearing one to... But I can not wear "fits most", even before I put a some extra weight in the mid section... Melanoma is not something to take lightly... I would rather fall through thin ice than get it...
your right skin cancer is no joke and I do know a lobsterman who died from it . I always try to stay covered with a cap and sunscreen  and long sleeved shirts .

stripernut

« Reply #6 on: Jun 01, 2014, 10:29 PM »
It is the ears that are the most important, 90% of the skin cancer that kills you is on the ears. That is why I wear a wide brim hat, that and it is like a umbrella in the rain... No drip down the back of your neck...

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #7 on: Jun 18, 2014, 12:27 PM »
I have a half of a tee shirt that I wear over my head (under a baseball cap) that drapes back like a french foriegn legion hat, so that the neck and ears are covered.
It also comes in handy when wiping away the sweat in your eyes too!
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

deerhunter

« Reply #8 on: Jun 18, 2014, 07:34 PM »
looks like you guys had some fun with the shad. :thumbup_smilie:

Dana

« Reply #9 on: Jun 19, 2014, 06:12 AM »
Good story! I love to see anglers enjoying shad fishing. Many never take advantage of the run.
Glenn, get the net!

stripernut

« Reply #10 on: Jun 19, 2014, 06:21 AM »
I don't make it ever year and I have fished both the Merrimack and the Conn. Rivers, it is a good time and should not be missed!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.