FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Mooring Question  (Read 4052 times)

bassin212

Re: Mooring Question
« Reply #15 on: Jun 16, 2019, 12:39 PM »
That’s 100% what I’d like to do, but they apparently have no room for me to keep my boat and trailer somewhere on property. Even though I saw a boat on a trailer that looks like it’s been there a while. I guess a newbie has to put in his time

fishlessman

« Reply #16 on: Jun 24, 2019, 11:05 AM »
have never seen or heard of anyone getting fined for putting out a mooring, pretty much every lake in the state has rafts out there with unregistered moorings. im thinking its more like doing 46 in a 45

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #17 on: Jun 24, 2019, 12:25 PM »
have never seen or heard of anyone getting fined for putting out a mooring, pretty much every lake in the state has rafts out there with unregistered moorings. im thinking its more like doing 46 in a 45

Salt water moorings are by permit. I pay for mine in Maine annually.

fishlessman

« Reply #18 on: Jun 24, 2019, 01:38 PM »
Salt water moorings are by permit. I pay for mine in Maine annually.
my mooring sits in a clam flat in front of the house, nobody has ever looked at it or the dozen other moorings sitting on the flat.  put it in the river or infront of someone elses house and there will be problems.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #19 on: Jun 24, 2019, 03:00 PM »
my mooring sits in a clam flat in front of the house, nobody has ever looked at it or the dozen other moorings sitting on the flat.  put it in the river or infront of someone elses house and there will be problems.

Ah, yes, mines in the Sheepscot.

bassin212

« Reply #20 on: Jun 27, 2019, 02:55 PM »
For those asking about Mooring rules in NH. Pretty vague. You only need a permit for the following lakes:

Winnipesaukee, Squam (Big & Little), Newfound, Winnisquam, Sunapee, Ossipee (Broad Bay, Leavitt Bay, Berry Bay), Bow Lake and Pleasant Lake in Deerfield/Northwood

https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/fob/marine-patrol/moorings/

bassin212

« Reply #21 on: Jul 01, 2019, 09:45 AM »
so after multiple different answers and lots of run around. Looks like my best option is to moor the boat. I theoretically can moor is wherever I want, like 3-5 feet away from the shore. Anyone have any suggestions on how much weight dry weight in concrete I would need for a 16 ft boat? Is mooring in 2-4 FOW fine to do in terms of my boat being ok?

thanks for any help you can provide

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #22 on: Jul 01, 2019, 10:58 AM »
so after multiple different answers and lots of run around. Looks like my best option is to moor the boat. I theoretically can moor is wherever I want, like 3-5 feet away from the shore. Anyone have any suggestions on how much weight dry weight in concrete I would need for a 16 ft boat? Is mooring in 2-4 FOW fine to do in terms of my boat being ok?

thanks for any help you can provide

I have zero knowledge on this but I would think that 2 feet of water may be too shallow and in an event where there is a wind storm, this may possibly be bad.
Wicked Wec

bassin212

« Reply #23 on: Jul 01, 2019, 12:16 PM »
I was thinking as long as it's far enough away from shore that my boat can't swing and hit shore I'd be good. but again no clue, that's why I'm looking for guidance.

zwiggles

« Reply #24 on: Jul 01, 2019, 12:45 PM »
I don’t know anything about it, but I wonder if the fact that it is so shallow may allow for the waves to move your weight/anchor. If it’s 10’ deep I bet you would be OK, but if it’s 3’ maybe the waves in a heavy storm would move the anchor?

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #25 on: Jul 01, 2019, 02:24 PM »
I don’t know anything about it, but I wonder if the fact that it is so shallow may allow for the waves to move your weight/anchor. If it’s 10’ deep I bet you would be OK, but if it’s 3’ maybe the waves in a heavy storm would move the anchor?

Yes this too!
Wicked Wec

bassin212

« Reply #26 on: Jul 01, 2019, 02:46 PM »
well, from what I've read online. If you're in say 3 FOW, your Mooring Cable should be at least double that to allow room for bobbing up and down on waves. I'm thinking as long as I give myself:

boat length is 15.5 feet, round up to 16 feet. Plus slack off the Mooring chain. 3 FOW plus 3 feet of slack is 6 Feet. 6+16= 22 feet.

So Theoretically If I'm about 22 Feet from Shore, no matter the wind, my boat should be in water? I'm more concerned about how much weight I should be using.

fishlessman

« Reply #27 on: Jul 01, 2019, 03:02 PM »
i dont think it will need to much. maybe get a truck tire and fill it with cement, that way the rubber exterior wont harm the boat. when i did mine in the mud flat i cut one sidewall off and kept the rim, i dug down and filled with mud,it eventually buried itself in the mud (did not even cement it).  i would toss out an anchor as well and keep it offshore far enough that the anchor could still work if need be.

bassin212

« Reply #28 on: Jul 01, 2019, 03:18 PM »
Cinder blocks are cheap. the 50lb ones seem to be about 4-5 bucks each. I'm thinking 4 of those with some Heavy Chain and a Buoy should be good? Yes, I will throw out the anchor as well.

bikrsrule

« Reply #29 on: Jul 02, 2019, 04:41 AM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.