FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Saltwater?  (Read 2142 times)

jeff123561

Saltwater?
« on: Sep 03, 2020, 12:11 PM »
Hey so looking to go out tomorrow try some salt water fishing for the first time in mass (surfcast/onshore) Any suggestions on places to go or bait to use etc. If done tons of Saltwater fishing back home in Fl but never here in Mass or surronding areas

stripernut

Re: Saltwater?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 03, 2020, 12:15 PM »
Morning evening or night and whereabouts are you?

jeff123561

« Reply #2 on: Sep 03, 2020, 12:28 PM »
Was planning on starting around 5am not sure whens a good time up here. Im very green Im in westen mass but the drives not to much of an issue1 to 3 hrs

stripernut

« Reply #3 on: Sep 03, 2020, 01:04 PM »
If I am shore bound I would look at Halibut Point State Park in Rockport. A rocky shoreline with big and small fish around that will fish well in daylight hours. I would work the shore with hardware.

Bartman44

« Reply #4 on: Sep 03, 2020, 08:35 PM »
If you're in Springfield you might have a shorter drive to the CT shore (just 1.5 hours, tops) I recommend Bluff Point State Park in Groton. It's a 1.3 mile walk from the parking lot to the point but once on the point you have a good shot at everything Long Island Sound has to offer. Very scenic as well.     

scooper47

« Reply #5 on: Sep 04, 2020, 06:30 AM »
If you're in Springfield you might have a shorter drive to the CT shore (just 1.5 hours, tops) I recommend Bluff Point State Park in Groton. It's a 1.3 mile walk from the parking lot to the point but once on the point you have a good shot at everything Long Island Sound has to offer. Very scenic as well.     

I second this. I love surf fishing from a sandy beach. Your Mass. saltwater license (you do have one?) is good in CT and RI. Lots of beaches in RI starting with Misquamicut and heading east. Parking should be free after this weekend. Surf is rougher in RI since Long Island is no longer a factor. Fish are bigger, too.

lowaccord66

« Reply #6 on: Sep 04, 2020, 07:11 AM »

Check before you go...some of our shoreline access is limited due to covid.

westernmas

« Reply #7 on: Sep 04, 2020, 09:38 AM »
Check before you go...some of our shoreline access is limited due to covid.

I second this.  I bring my bike every time I go now in the event that I need to park further away and ride my bike to the preferred spot.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #8 on: Sep 05, 2020, 07:29 AM »
I second this.  I bring my bike every time I go now in the event that I need to park further away and ride my bike to the preferred spot.

Parking seems to be the only issue. We don't see a ton of enforcement like an outter cape Beach.  The guys that catch really large bass in CT from shore are typically chunking bunker.  I'd recommend Harkness...long walk but well worth it.

jeff123561

« Reply #9 on: Sep 15, 2020, 11:31 AM »
Hey thanks guys ended up trying bluff point managed to get a dogfish but not much else was going on. Gonna try and find a new spot this weekend any suggestions

Bartman44

« Reply #10 on: Sep 16, 2020, 07:13 PM »
Hey thanks guys ended up trying bluff point managed to get a dogfish but not much else was going on. Gonna try and find a new spot this weekend any suggestions

Sorry it didn't work out for you there. Just got back from that area and it was slow the past few days but we did hit a run of Albies on the beach on Saturday. 

How did you like the  walk? Don't let the one trip keep you away from the Bluff, it lights up next month.

This past week, all the action per the reports were from Watch Hill east so you may want to check out RI beaches.       

lowaccord66

« Reply #11 on: Sep 17, 2020, 10:30 AM »
The RI beaches are where its at. 

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #12 on: Sep 17, 2020, 12:04 PM »
Point Judith. Galillee, East Matunuck, Charlestown breachway. if one is dead after 30 minutes, go to the next. Look for birds.
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #13 on: Sep 18, 2020, 06:40 AM »
Or for those of you who like some adrenaline...hazard ave, or beavertail.  Bring floaties! 

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #14 on: Sep 18, 2020, 02:04 PM »
Or for those of you who like some adrenaline...hazard ave, or beavertail.  Bring floaties!
and a long rope
Wicked Wec

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.